Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 35,896 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post. My wife and I have been reading many posts and threads for the last few months. I currently live in central Wisconsin where the long cold winters and humid summers have taken their toll on me. (I am at my breaking point!) 10 years ago, an auto accident left me w/chronic pain. I have seen many spec's, tried many alternative meds with little to no improvement of the pain that I have been left with. (neck, mid and low back pain). I can still function so I am refusing additional surgery. I currently survive by doing daily exercises and pain medication. I need to find a different location to live.

There must be many out there whom have had to do the same and I am asking them for input. Where to, and has it helped? My special circumstances are few; First - It can't be so cold, Second - Humidity causes me some discomfort as I have put on a little weight (40 lbs) since the accident (due to lack of strenuous exercise), and this causes me to perspire an awful lot. Third - I would need to be near a major airport (100 miles or less) so that there would be cheap airfare back to Chicago and Minneapolis (children w/professional careers). And lastly, this would not is happen immediately as my wife is still working and I have an elderly Mother with leukemia who would not leave the area.

I am currently on disability. It has been a long, hard road to this point. We have had to use our entire savings to stay a float until I was finally "approved" for disablement. We currently have enough to meet our monthly obligations and that is all. We do own our home with a small mortgage left. My hope is to be able to sell (when the time comes), downsize, and pray we can profit enough to last us through the retirement years (until death, although we both doubt it) but, at least try!

I no longer have a long list of hobbies because I am simply unable to do them however, I do my best at yard work and gardening. It takes me a lot longer to do these chores (when I am able) but, gives me something to do and keeps me mobile.

I am not looking for sympathy, just suggestions so that I could research the areas. Please, I am certain that you must know somebody who had to move somewhere...........how did it work out for them?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
Sorry to hear of your suffering. The 1st thing that popped into my head would be the southwest. Dry and warm. I have no expierence with the Southwest. Just a thought.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
My wife has had two knee surgeries and I broke the same spot in my collar bone twice and we have seriously thought of moving due to the pain caused by weather change. My wife runs marathons and running circles at the pettit center is no fun ask anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin