Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM

141 posts, read 284,939 times

Advertisements

I go to college in Stevens Point and if you live more than a mile away from the campus you'll never hear of the college kids except if you're downtown on a weekend or travel through campus. The area is nice but the high school is quite large. The plus is your children would have every oppurtunity to play sports and many clubs, etc. The negative is there is just so many students as everybody in Stevens Point and Plover go there. There are a lot of nice places north of town in between Wausau and Point that are close to Lake DuBay that would be good to look into, I'm not sure but you could see what they have for waterfront property also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,667 times
not in wisconsin, that's for sure, unless you are a nurse

Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
I'm curious to know if there are any Starbucks in the Wausau area. I have a little coffee habit. If not Starbucks, are there any other good (gourmet) style coffee shops?

Also - Why are property taxes so high in the Wausau area? Yikes!!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 AM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
yes, there are 2 starbucks that I can think of off of the top of my head...make that 3 if barnes and Nobel still have theirs.

I can't answer the tax question. Sorry

Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Oh yeah from what I gather, there are NO jobs in WI either...and that is recent info.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
wausau by far blows away stevens point IMO. the one great thing stevens point has that wausau does not i s that awesome hibatchi restaurant. otherwise, you can't beat the community feel and events, layout, overall disposition of wausau. both cities have great parks. i prefer wausau parks, but stevens points trails. i would move back to wausau in a heartbeat if the climate changes in its favor! i miss it, and so does everyone i know that's moved from there. it's a very unique, safe, community oriented city with a nicely developing downtown and plenty to do and eat. also, its not terribly far from green bay and other bigger cities if you feel the urge to go exploring :-) i can't remember the nice golf resort i had dinner at once in wausau... it was a really nice place with super nice houses in the area. i wish i could remember what it was called........ either way, rest assured you'll find new houses and nice greens!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:10 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
by the way, the pics of wausau that city data has up doesn't do wausau any sort of justice.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times
Kandy,

The taxes are not just bad in the Wausau area it is the whole state. Wisconsin recently ranked in the top ten worst states for retirement due to high taxes, current state debt and climate was also factored in.

I would guess that if you bought a house for $400k you should plan to spend $8000. per year for property taxes. Your income taxes are likely to be at about 7%. We still have a fairly low sales tax at 5.5% in most places. Depending on where you are moving from, you may find the house you would like for far less than $400k, which would be a bonus for you.

If you go to images on google and search Wausau you may find good photos. I might add that the road updates through Wausau seem to make it easy to get around in a hurry.

Last edited by Stone1; 01-01-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin