Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:54 PM

39 posts, read 167,218 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into going to grad school in WI using the midwest exchange program.

Just in general, what are the major differences between the cultures of the two cities and universities? Is one more prestigious than the other? Is of one the cities more student friendly?

I'm looking for a place that's walkable, bike, pet, and kid friendly, but with a bit of a buzz about it. Ideally I would like to go to Madison but they don't seem to participate in the tuition program with other midwestern states (except MN...and I'm kind of kicking myself since I currently live 1 mile from the MN border).

I've also looked at Milwaukee but I prefere a suburban feel for school which is why I'm avoiding U of Minnesota twin cities as well. I went to CU Boulder in Colorado for my undergrad and I'm looking for some place similiar (again, I know Madison is the obvious but expensive choice).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:01 PM

371 posts, read 556,219 times
One is not more prestigious than the other.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM

141 posts, read 284,939 times
I would choose LaCrosse. It is definitely a walkable city with a midwest feel but the surrounding bluffs really make it a cool city to hang out in.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
The difference between these two colleges is really just splitting hairs, the only difference is the towns and I like to party so I think I would lean more towards LC but you have to watch out for that "disappearing factor" in LC.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
What field of study are you pursuing? That could be a significant factor in this decision. Ideally, you should try to visit both places to get a feel for things--both places have their fans and detractors. I myself would prefer LaCrosse--it's reasonably but not overwhelmingly urban, the natural beauty is incredible, and it's kind of progressive in a certain way.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM

39 posts, read 167,218 times
Thank you for the information! I'm taking a trip to check out the area and I really appreciate your comments.

What do you mean "disappearing factor" in La Crosse? Are you referring to the missing people? I've seen mention of it but not looked much into it. Should I be worried for my safety as a woman in her 20s?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 21,324 times
Default Eau Claire is hilly, not best for biking

Eau Claire has more ups and downs for walking than La Crosse; the campus has a lot of hills. IMO not so bad for walking, you'll keep in good shape, it's biking that might be a pain due to the hills. La Crosse is prettier if you want natural beauty. People disappearing might be a big concern: what I'd do is contact campus security at both campuses and just ask for statistics, I think that's public info; if they won't say, contact the local newspaper office for the city, someone there would know. Don't let any crime stats scare you away, just use them to make sensible decisions about ordinary stuff like going out alone or trusting strangers, and you can use any search engine on the web to look up tips on personal safety (good idea for anyone moving anywhere "new" anyway). In spite of media scares, though, my personal experience is that the most dangerous people in our lives are the close friends and family we'd never suspect - until something happens. Good luck and have a good time wherever you choose for school!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:12 PM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
No real difference and no real prestige to any grad school degree from these 2nd line ex-teachers colleges.
Seems almost biza.rre to go from CU to one of these.employers will probaly wonder why

Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM

358 posts, read 451,210 times
In my opinion, UW-La Crosse is slightly more "prestigious" than Eau Claire. For years it was the second hardest UW school to get accepted to. But both schools are good.

As a city, I really think you would enjoy La Crosse more. It's very pretty with the bluffs and river, and the city is laid out in a nice walkable grid. The UW campus is gorgeous. Biking, kids, and pets? That screams La Crosse.

There is really no issue of missing people in La Crosse. There just happens to be an unfortunate trend of college-age males getting drunk and thinking they can swim in the river.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM

25 posts, read 52,935 times
As long as you are not taking Gen Ed classes, UW-La Crosse is a good school. The tenured Gen Ed instructors have no patience for students who struggle in their classes. The campus is nice, but the housing around campus is terrible. The slum lords do not take care of some of the properties, so you may find yourself living several blocks away from campus.

The city itself would fit your needs perfectly, but the college life is go to class, go to the bars, wake up with a hangover. Unless you are VERY active in sports, there is not much else for the student body to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin