Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,202,862 times

Advertisements

With just about every one of my management jobs there are always those non management staff that have NEVER managed nor have they had any position with any significant responsibility but they always seem to have all of the answers.

What these people fail to realize is a manager has to view each situation from multiple perspectives and each response/solution is not always "black and white".

If you have 2 dozen people that you manage many times each "minor" request by an employee will affect all the other employees. Non management staff don't realize managers are paid to focus of things that make a difference in the organization. Management is very stressful and it's not for everyone.

I just thought I'd wright something to get some discussions going.......

Chime in......what do you think?

List and talk about anything as it relates to Management and Non Management relationships.

This is not about "god or bad" employees/managers. Refrain from that topic.

Thanks,
Ron

PS-I AM NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE. This IS NOT about ME. I want to hear your experiences and views.

Last edited by Ron.; 06-23-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times
I feel your pain. As a sole proprietor of a small business I'm often faced with an employee or a customer who seems to think that they know more than I do and that they have a solution to whatever problem I have at any particular time. I've been a manager many times over in many different spheres and the same situation repeats itself over and over again. The "solvers" have no clue at all of all the intricacies involved in running a business.

A "suggestion box" is the brunt these days of many a joke in the workplace but I think it has definite merit. I doubt that at this stage of the game I'll be back managing a workplace with several employees (one never knows, though!) but it's something I would implement in a heartbeat. Managers and/or owners aren't infallible and often can't see the woods from the trees but sometimes someone down the line sees a way to improve productivity but they don't know how to approach the issue.

Just something you might want to think about.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I feel your pain. As a sole proprietor of a small business I'm often faced with an employee or a customer who seems to think that they know more than I do and that they have a solution to whatever problem I have at any particular time. I've been a manager many times over in many different spheres and the same situation repeats itself over and over again. The "solvers" have no clue at all of all the intricacies involved in running a business.

A "suggestion box" is the brunt these days of many a joke in the workplace but I think it has definite merit. I doubt that at this stage of the game I'll be back managing a workplace with several employees (one never knows, though!) but it's something I would implement in a heartbeat. Managers and/or owners aren't infallible and often can't see the woods from the trees but sometimes someone down the line sees a way to improve productivity but they don't know how to approach the issue.

Just something you might want to think about.

Actually that's not what I was talking about and this is not about me. I am not seeking advice. I just wanted to hear others experiences. Sort of like a focus group.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM

My apologies for misinterpreting your post and making a contribution which I mistakenly thought was relevant to the question you posed, thus wasting your time. Mea culpa.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,221,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
List and talk about anything as it relates to Management and Non Management relationships.

This is not about "god or bad" employees/managers. Refrain from that topic.
Pardon any offense, but pls make up your mind. ie to a large extent, yes, Management and Non Management relationships are about "good or bad" employees/managers. I've had more bad than good managers, sometimes outright horrific, esp in terms of dealing with people. It's a glaring example of how we as a society are getting worse and worse with our people skills IMO. Let's face it: most managers manage people because it came with the job; they don't want to and many flat-out hate it. And to be honest, I can't say I blame them as I wasn't wild about it either - but I didn't use that as an excuse to suck at it. And I at least dealt with people as people and not an inconvenience. ie I was up front, treated them with respect, and gave them the benefit of the doubt. And I listened...because, as STT said, often they had good, valid opinions. Regarding people who "think they have all the answers," well yeah, there are those types too and you have to listen to them as well. Regardless I would listen to each idea presented, consider and respond as applicable.

To all: if you have or find a job with a great boss/manager(s), I advise you to think twice before leaving that position if at all possible. They're as valuable as any diamond and far more rare.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Hmmmmm...I think that managers should solicit opinions from the people they manage while actively maintaining the caveat that they will take it under consideration only. People want to be heard and will be more productive and happy if they feel like what they think matters. There is nothing as destructive to morale than to feel like you don't matter.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Are you a manager?

How many people have you managed?

It does not sound like it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Pardon any offense, but pls make up your mind. ie to a large extent, yes, Management and Non Management relationships are about "good or bad" employees/managers. I've had more bad than good managers, sometimes outright horrific, esp in terms of dealing with people. It's a glaring example of how we as a society are getting worse and worse with our people skills IMO. Let's face it: most managers manage people because it came with the job; they don't want to and many flat-out hate it. And to be honest, I can't say I blame them as I wasn't wild about it either - but I didn't use that as an excuse to suck at it. And I at least dealt with people as people and not an inconvenience. ie I was up front, treated them with respect, and gave them the benefit of the doubt. And I listened...because, as STT said, often they had good, valid opinions. Regarding people who "think they have all the answers," well yeah, there are those types too and you have to listen to them as well. Regardless I would listen to each idea presented, consider and respond as applicable.

To all: if you have or find a job with a great boss/manager(s), I advise you to think twice before leaving that position if at all possible. They're as valuable as any diamond and far more rare.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hmmmmm...I think that managers should solicit opinions from the people they manage while actively maintaining the caveat that they will take it under consideration only. People want to be heard and will be more productive and happy if they feel like what they think matters. There is nothing as destructive to morale than to feel like you don't matter.
Are you a manager?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Are you a manager?
Yes. And I've learned the best way to get work out of people is positive reinforcement and listening to them like they are people, not pests who are bothering you and taking up too much of your precious time.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Are you a manager?

How many people have you managed?

It does not sound like it.....
Why are you being so apparently churlish and combative when people are paying you due deference and respect by answering your post? If your intercourse with posters on this thread is indicative of that with the non-managerial employees you oversee then I can see that you may well have a problem dealing with the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment