Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,120,286 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was just curious if you guys think calling out employees or trying to embaress employees is an effective management style?

Do you think it's motivating or do you think it negatively affects employee morale?

Reason I ask I have a new boss, he always sends out reports with top employees in terms of sales which I think is a good thing, creates some competition, rewards performers, etc.

Basically I work in banking so there's lots of upsellls and product addons they want us to do. We rolled out a new product about a week ago and anyone who hasn't sold one yet was put on this list which was sent out to all employees, all office and all managers.

This kind of rubbed me the wrong way. First off I think it's too soon to jump on people less than a week into this new product but even so I think embaressing or calling out employees isn't an effective management style. I don't think it's going to make anyone more productive if anything I think those employees will be less motivated and kind of deterred. I wasn't on the list but even I don't like the guy as I don't agree with that management style

I think there are more effective ways to manage people and this method if used at all should be a last resort but I personally think it shows failure as a manager if you have to resort to this to motivate people.

Was just curious your guys take on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM

203 posts, read 322,277 times
That is HIGHLY POOR MANAGEMENT. HIGHLY POOR.

I've worked for many employers who would try to embarrass their employees by posting/comparing stats and the like in public places for all to see within the employers building.

No decent manager would ever do that... then again, there aren't very many decent managers out there. Most managers aren't trained well. Back in the day, managers were literally shuttled to management seminars and given extensive management training. Most companies now do not want to pay to do this. Also, many companies seem to want to hire or promote employees that have poor personalities for management. Just because someone excelled at their previous position, does not mean they will excell in their future one... especially a position that requires the patience and specific psych traits that a management position does.

Most managers are poor.

Sadly, that could be changed if more employers were willing to invest in their staff... but more CEO's making more money wins out every time and the rest suffer.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM

3,052 posts, read 5,014,946 times
Praise in public; criticize in private.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,447,811 times
No, I don't believe it's a good way to motivate people. Clearly, you have proved this point.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,063,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Agreed.This is one of my "Introduction to Business" teacher's favorite sayings.She drilled it into us.But my current managers seem to do the opposite.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,145,274 times
Quote:
Johnny nailed it. It is completely unprofessional to criticize with a blast email. It hurts employee morale for the whole department, not just the underperforming employees. I would look for another job, if that was my boss.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,091,309 times
It is only an effective technique if you want to create a working environment that is full of paranoid insecure people. Any incentive to work together will be destroyed for fear that the other guy will get the credit and you will be criticized.

Never, ever create lists of shame.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 PM

12,323 posts, read 17,175,627 times
Quote:
Agreed. It's not leadership, It's using fear and intimidation and unless one is an organized crime boss has no place in a professional workplace.

Management means leadership, Being firm about the rules and motivating employees to be successful. It is not about winning the popularity contest but being an effective leader without turning dictator is important.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM

314 posts, read 627,139 times
My boss shouts and or whines at the top of his lungs. Sometimes he sounds like an angry caged animal. It's very creepy.

I know I don't like it. It also gives you the feeling that your boss is a stalker because he hates being ignored and hovers a lot. I'm sure everyone else at work hates it too.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,521,365 times
I refer to this style as Frat management........as I have not grown up enough as a manger to stop acting like it's sand box time. A nicer way is micromanagement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment