Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 PM

190 posts, read 493,522 times

Advertisements

I am referring to frequently talking over someone. If so, why should it be overlooked? If not, what's the best way of dealing with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 09:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times
There is no way to fix it. Management are saying they hate the employee when they do that over and over again.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,145,741 times
Yo. Heres what you do....Put your Ipod in your ear when they interrupt you. And raise your hand and ask to speak. If they dont let you finish your sentence,Put the Ipod back in your ear.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,623 times
You stand up for yourself. Grow a set and tell them to stop. I had a manager that baby talked to me all the time. I asked him to stop twice when he did it again, I started talking to him in the same tone. He asked me to stop and I told him only if he did. Then I explained to him that I am forced to respect the position but not the man with the title. I explained to him that we all start off with a level of respect and it goes up or down on a daily basis. I told him I had no respect for him. Then I walked away and continued to do my job. This pissed him off so much that he did everything to fire me. Little did he know that the store manager was my neighbor and I helped him with projects at his house all the time.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:18 AM

121 posts, read 518,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
You stand up for yourself. Grow a set and tell them to stop. I had a manager that baby talked to me all the time. I asked him to stop twice when he did it again, I started talking to him in the same tone. He asked me to stop and I told him only if he did. Then I explained to him that I am forced to respect the position but not the man with the title. I explained to him that we all start off with a level of respect and it goes up or down on a daily basis. I told him I had no respect for him. Then I walked away and continued to do my job. This pissed him off so much that he did everything to fire me. Little did he know that the store manager was my neighbor and I helped him with projects at his house all the time.

Sometimes things can get crazy in the workplace. We spend a lot of time in a confined area with people who should not be supervising other people.
There are many reasons to treat people with respect, because it is the right thing you do, or because they could be the manager's neighbor or relative.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
It's not even a management technique - let alone an effective one. It's simply a bad habit or personality/character fault. I think the 'dealing' with any issue should always be communication. You simply explain why it bothers you. How you deliver that message is the key. And unfortunately, there is no single answer. It really depends on the individual's personality. Some you have to sit them down and explain everything, others you just need to make them aware of the situation (they may not be aware they're doing it) and they'll stop.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 AM

190 posts, read 493,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
It's not even a management technique - let alone an effective one. It's simply a bad habit or personality/character fault. I think the 'dealing' with any issue should always be communication. You simply explain why it bothers you. How you deliver that message is the key. And unfortunately, there is no single answer. It really depends on the individual's personality. Some you have to sit them down and explain everything, others you just need to make them aware of the situation (they may not be aware they're doing it) and they'll stop.
Your answer confirmed my huntch that bull-dozing is equally related to personal management style as it is related to organizational culture. Also stating that it is ineffective reminded me of the importance of bottom up communication, especially when it adds value. Assertive, clear, and informative communication, the "how," is important as well. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment