Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM

67 posts, read 250,231 times

Advertisements

I work in an environment where it is vital for employees to interract with one another as we are often working on projects together, or even to just get someone's opinion on something. There are many times when I need to talk to someone about something work related and they're gabbing away on the phone with their parents or spuses or paying bills online. I always feel awkward about interrupting they're calls to talk about more pressing work related matters, but I usually do it anyway with mixed reactions.

Would you all interrupt someone's personal call for a work related issue? I know there's a etiquette on interrupting someone engaged in actual work, but personal calls? I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
I work in an environment where it is vital for employees to interract with one another as we are often working on projects together, or even to just get someone's opinion on something. There are many times when I need to talk to someone about something work related and they're gabbing away on the phone with their parents or spuses or paying bills online. I always feel awkward about interrupting they're calls to talk about more pressing work related matters, but I usually do it anyway with mixed reactions.

Would you all interrupt someone's personal call for a work related issue? I know there's a etiquette on interrupting someone engaged in actual work, but personal calls? I'm not so sure.
I make it a point for the person to know I am there. If they are willing to talk they will end their personal conversation. If they are not, then I will let them dilly dally away.

In the end if something is not done because they were too busy with their personal life, then it reflects on them. I make sure my responsibilities are completed in a timely manner. If it is just a question I have for them, there is always someone else who will know the answer.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Typically I won't interrupt someone's personal time at work -especially if I don't have an appointment with them but am just stopping by impromptu. Just because it's convenient for you doesn't mean it will be convenient for your co-worker - she could be on a personal call, consulting with another colleague, or in the midst of an important work project. Also, just because she's on the phone sometimes when you stop by doesn't mean that she makes a habit of frittering away company time instead of getting her work done. If you make eye-contact I might give the little call me sign and move on. If there's one co-worker in particular who is on the phone almost every time you stop by and you stop by frequently, then I might interrupt sometimes if it's a time sensitive project - or, if you have to stop by that often then I might arrange for a weekly meeting or some other increment that makes sense.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I'll usually just write a quick note on a post-it that I need to speak to them about such-and-such, quietly walk to their desk and stick it on their monitor, desktop, or whatever, where they can see it that's easy for me to reach without invading their personal space. It usually gets them to wrap up their call or whatever in a few moments and return their focus to work tasks--without requiring me to interrupt or hover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment