Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,070,909 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you found something better! Good for you!

This is just sour grapes.... They don't want to lose a reliable employee to a better job.

One of my first jobs was Dairy Queen. It was awful but I survived. I got a better job waitressing at a place a couple miles down the road. I gave them notice but they said my last day was today. Why? They were afraid I would tell everyone else my plan and take them with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,357,282 times
The current job I have now was the job I have been trying to get for over a year since graduating. I was to start in a week after the interview, so I informed my employer at the time about it. I wrote a nice letter of resignation to my direct supervisor and his supervisor and both were speechless and wished the best for me. They said if the new job didn't work out then I could always come back there.

I worked the following week part time at the new job and still full-time at the old job. I came in late about 15-30 minutes everyday for my last week because of the commute and traffic. On my very last day at the old job, my supervisor found out about my tardiness from me as I was submitting my last timesheet in. I thought I was doing them a favor by saving the company money!

-He went from wishing me the best to having a one on one meeting with me about his disappointment in me for not notifying the company about being late. He said that because of that, he'd have to include my tardiness for the last week, along with my letter, in my file. He had this smirk the whole time too lol. He pretty much burned my bridge with the company. I was laughing so hard inside and just wanted to flip him off. It felt great leaving that crappy company that did not value their workers.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM

550 posts, read 1,357,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm glad you found something better! Good for you!

This is just sour grapes.... They don't want to lose a reliable employee to a better job.

One of my first jobs was Dairy Queen. It was awful but I survived. I got a better job waitressing at a place a couple miles down the road. I gave them notice but they said my last day was today. Why? They were afraid I would tell everyone else my plan and take them with me!
My supervisor felt the same way. My last week at the job was spent mostly talking to my coworkers about the new job, the company, the career advancement, and the pay lol. We all had something in common and everyone talked about jumping ship as soon as the next opportunity comes.

I know my departure triggered a mass exodus of employees leaving that company. I was the third guy to leave that month. My coworkers were interviewing that time as well. You can't settle with a job you hate!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,141,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
So I decided to break the news to my current boss that I was hired at a credit union and would be starting there...tomorrow. I was planning to tell her on Saturday but she left before I got in, so I left a note. Came in today and she was less than thrilled.

My manager and the owner sat down with me and were dumbfounded that I had gotten a second job. They were like "well as long as you know you'll be getting less hours here, you're limiting yourself, trading in hours here for hours there, I don't know how you think you'll get ahead.."

Inside I'm laughing hysterically because this new job pays better, is in a better industry (hospitality can kiss my a$$ if other hotels are like this one ), and has way, way, WAY better opportunities for advancement. Also, I'm pretty sure they'll actually pay me for all of the hours that I work. If I didn't have bills to pay I would have quit here a loong time ago.

Does anyone have stories to share regarding breaking news like this to your boss? Or quitting in general? I'm sure there are better stories than this one and I'd love to hear them.

Why do employers think they have right to control your life outside work - i'd give them no information, or any of your colleagues - the more sources of cash you have the more control you have and they don't like it

Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM

831 posts, read 2,828,864 times
I never heard of any law stating you have to report a second job. I wouldn't have told them. It's common sense they would be upset.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM

134 posts, read 367,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I never heard of any law stating you have to report a second job. I wouldn't have told them. It's common sense they would be upset.
If you read any of the OP's posts you would know the jobs have conflicting hours, you can't just *not show up* with no explanation.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Why do employers think they have right to control your life outside work - i'd give them no information, or any of your colleagues - the more sources of cash you have the more control you have and they don't like it
Wrong answer. Companies have policies about second jobs to make sure that their employees aren't also working for their competitors, or working for another company on the first companies time.

Our company policy requires the disclosure of a second job, but as long as it's not for the competition and not doing any part of the second job on our time clock (including making/taking phone calls from the other job except while on break) we're OK with it. We also require that if we need the employee to work overtime and it conflicts with their second job schedule, that's their problem to work out.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
If the employee handbook states you can't have a second job or you have to tell the employer about a second job, they can fire you on the spot for not divulging that info. And you won't get u/e for it. (I know someone who tried it, got caught, fired from both places, no u/e from either. A lesson learned the very hard way.)

Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianY'all View Post
No they won't fire on the spot for that. You are quite the know-it-all.
Uh, the one I know that tried to pull it off got fired on the spot. And yes, they can fire you on the spot for it--particularly in a right to hire state, they can fire you for wearing blue on a Tuesday. Unless you're a union employee. In which case they can suspend you pending a hearing. Which will possibly not work out well for you.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianY'all View Post
Dude you need to get a life.
Typical response when you can't find anything rational to say is to personally attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment