Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM

831 posts, read 2,833,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If the employee handbook states you can't have a second job or you have to tell the employer about a second job, they can fire you on the spot for not divulging that info. And you won't get u/e for it. (I know someone who tried it, got caught, fired from both places, no u/e from either. A lesson learned the very hard way.)
That is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,224,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
That is ridiculous.
What, that she was working f/t for both companies who were competitors and was supposed to be doing 9-5 type hours for both? I don't think it's at all ridiculous that they fired her!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,431,816 times
Default so anyway...

When we left Seattle for Hawaii I gave a very generous 30 day notice. My boss didn't speak one single word to me after that...nothin'.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
When we left Seattle for Hawaii I gave a very generous 30 day notice. My boss didn't speak one single word to me after that...nothin'.
Wow, that's absurd. The last two jobs that I left I gave a three and four week notice respectively, and my bosses made sure to meet with me several times to make sure they knew everything they needed to know about what projects I was leaving behind, etc. Both also called me a few times to ask questions, and one even had me freelance for them for a month until they were able to bring the new hire fully up to speed.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM

831 posts, read 2,833,712 times
I know many people that work two jobs at once, but I would never schedule the hours so they conflict.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,014,850 times
mchelle, I read your first post only (didn't feel like scrolling), so forgive me if this has been answered:
Why did you tell the manager in the first place? Will the hours on your second job conflict with the first? If not, there was hardly any reason to tell.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:32 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,014,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
My supervisor felt the same way. My last week at the job was spent mostly talking to my coworkers about the new job, the company, the career advancement, and the pay lol. We all had something in common and everyone talked about jumping ship as soon as the next opportunity comes.

I know my departure triggered a mass exodus of employees leaving that company. I was the third guy to leave that month. My coworkers were interviewing that time as well. You can't settle with a job you hate!
Hmmm, don't know that I'd discuss my future job while on my current job. No, I woudn't do it, no matter how much I hated it. For one, it's no one's business. Also, it seems like bragging. Third, it's a way to burn bridges. You may need that "hated" job for a reference.

It's always best to leave professionally and as pleasantly as possible.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,300,996 times
Smile This is so many years ago but....

I was going to college locally (community college) in the mornings and then I worked a job 40 hours but I could make my own hours - I had worked at this place since my junior year in high school and I just had to finish XXX work. It usually worked out to 40 hours.

Each semester, I would go over my hours with them when picking my schedule and I was conscious of their needs, however, this one term I really needed to make money (helping parents also) and I took only 2 classes. I also was offered a job at night at a new firm so I took it.

Unfortunately, I told them. The hours never conflicted and no one would have known. The owners acted really weird to me during this time and I'm actually sorry I ever mentioned it.

The next semester, I took my regular amount of classes and just continued on and I left the 2nd job on good terms. It was over the holiday period and I knew it was temporary.

Eventually, when I owned my own firm, my employees always felt free to come to me. Many of them had to take jobs (2nd) from time to time and I always accomodated them.

Today, people are more open about money but years and years ago, I most likely never told my bosses (husband and wife team) that I had to help my parents. (My parents would have been mortified at the time).

Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,929,782 times
Am I missing something here? Although the OP talks about a "second job", it seems that she's not taking on a second job but leaving one for another. She says, "Shifts at the hotel are 3pm-11pm and the credit union is from 1pm-6pm, so I had to tell them why my availability was going to be changing." Maybe one had to read some other threads to understand the situation but these hours don't mesh at all on the face of it.

Whether she's quitting one job for another or somehow combining the two jobs, giving essentially no notice is, in my opinion, untenable. When you work part-time, shifts are allotted according to availability of personnel and not giving notice throws a real spanner in the works where scheduling is concerned. If someone did that to me, I'd fill the spot as quickly as possible and give the employee who'd sprung that on me the boot at the first chance - and immediately if I could fill the gap even temporarily.

If I'm somehow misreading then hopefully someone will correct me.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 AM

I think she was expecting the original employer to accommodate her new availability without question and continue to give her shifts, even though the availability was greatly reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment