Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM

219 posts, read 563,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A job's a job. I've never spent a lot of time unemployed, because I'd be knocking on doors and making phone calls about jobs.
No offense, but jumping around from low-paying job to low-paying job is not quite the same as jumping around in higher paying professional jobs. From your comments, I'm assuming you've worked primarily low-paying, blue collar jobs throughout most of your life. So, losing a $10-12/hr warehouse job, though a hardship, would not be the same as losing a $75k/yr. job. In other words, your lifestyle does not change significantly if YOU lose a job as opposed to the lawyer or MBA executive who loses a job.

What is the saying these days? It takes a month to find a job for every $10k you were making? The point is, there are a lot more low paying jobs to be had than there are higher paying jobs. So it would make sense that you're able to adjust easily to U/E and find a job quicker, because you're not making too much to begin with. Again, no offense intended. I'm just going by what you've said in your own posts.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,499,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I always said I'd wait until owning a home, but when I turned 30 as a renter (with no near-future plans to buy) I decided it had waited long enough... I don't regret the decision at all, since my boy Rudy is worth the inconveniences.
We have pets too and even though it limits our apartment possibilities, it's totally worth it. We have a dog and pet rats (domestic, not wild ones, they're just like smaller versions of cats). They cuddle up to you and my dog naturally alerts me to sights and sounds despite no training as a service animal.

Animals are the best.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,499,503 times
Quote:
Every job I've gotten happened after walking through the front door of the place and filling out an application. Every single one.
Same, except one step further. Every job, gig, and even volunteering opportunity I've had has been through someone I know. The only exception was a Craig's list ad for tutoring but even then she ended up only doing a couple of lessons.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,776,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
No offense, but jumping around from low-paying job to low-paying job is not quite the same as jumping around in higher paying professional jobs. From your comments, I'm assuming you've worked primarily low-paying, blue collar jobs throughout most of your life. So, losing a $10-12/hr warehouse job, though a hardship, would not be the same as losing a $75k/yr. job. In other words, your lifestyle does not change significantly if YOU lose a job as opposed to the lawyer or MBA executive who loses a job.

What is the saying these days? It takes a month to find a job for every $10k you were making? The point is, there are a lot more low paying jobs to be had than there are higher paying jobs. So it would make sense that you're able to adjust easily to U/E and find a job quicker, because you're not making too much to begin with. Again, no offense intended. I'm just going by what you've said in your own posts.

I don't know about unemployment, as I've never filed.

I used to quit jobs fairly readily at one point--but now that I'm older, I'll try on the other job for a bit before quitting the other, make sure it's going to work out for me. It would kinda suck to quit one job for another, just to find that you can't deal with the bosses that you have.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM

379 posts, read 1,403,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe if you put as much effort into looking for a job as you do towards posting drivel, you wouldn't be unemployed.

It takes one to know one.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM

379 posts, read 1,403,141 times
Quote:
So...are you the kind of guy that won't get out of bed for less than $15 an hour??

Something > nothing. So even $5 an hour is better than not making anything.

For $15/hour/8 hours a day, I'll dress up like a cowboy and ride around on a stick horse while the world laughs at me.

$5/hour does not even cover the water and soap I use when I shower, the gas and the wear and tear on my car, the pathetic sack lunch of pb&j or cheese sandwiches, and let alone the way I'll be treated making a slave wage.

Something does not necessarily mean it is better than nothing. There are many things to factor when one goes out to make a living and today's minimum wage does not even make a living wage any more.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,211,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Great. I just hope you don't get in a car accident, have something medical or some other emergency pop up. It might interfere with your savings plan.
That's what insurance is for. Not only do we have all the normal coverage, but we also have extended benefits and umbrella policies. Our CFP feels we're over-insured, my opinion is that there is no such thing.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post

And if you save 10% of your gross income for emergencies and another 10% towards retirement, it takes four years of savings to have a years worth of living expenses in the bank, taking into consideration early withdrawl penalties on the retirement income and that you cut out non-necessities if there is a job loss, but not considering any interest earned. High income earners ($100K and above) should be saving 20% for emergencies and 15% for retirement.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
It takes one to know one.
Big difference, I'm not unemployed.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Big difference, I'm not unemployed.
I wouldn't have put that out there, Annerk. You're also in Flori-duh which is a right to work state.

You could be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment