Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,484,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's why we've purchased a variety of coverages for disability income, long-term care, umbrella, etc. Of course we still have some deductibles, $1000 for the home owners and auto, and certain co-pays and a one time each year deductible on the health--maybe $250 or something along those lines.
I realized that maybe I am biased because of the number and type of health issues I have, but it seems to me that even the best insurance policies only cover about half of what you need. So I just say this sincerely and not in a trying to get back at you kind of way, that I just hope nothing pops up medically where you end up having to pay a lot of money out-of-pocket because I can tell you from personal experience, that will throw a wrench in your savings plan. I had a very nice cushion of savings I had saved up from a job I worked from 2003-09 and most of it went to medical stuff that insurance wouldn't cover that I also absolutely could not do without. Not to mention I am still without proper hearing aids, surgery and physical therapy that I should be getting, but I don't even have enough money to visit the number of doctors I need to and pay co-pay. The irony is I could do a lot more meaningful work if I could get my conditions properly treated.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-14-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,055,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If it was the kind of job that required a lengthy job search, I wouldn't bother with it for the moment. I'd seek out a job that I COULD get that way. Sure, the pay isn't great, and isn't the sort of pay you are used to, but it IS something. That's all I've been trying to say, for who knows how long.

Then, once you're bringing SOME sort of income in, you can continue your search for something BETTER, but at least have the humility to take something that you may feel is beneath you on a temporary basis.
Employers tend to not even bother hiring overqualified individuals because they run the risk of having the overqualified employee leave them high and dry when better opportunities arises. Translate = It ain't as easy to just pick up a low wage job if you are overqualified as folks in this thread seem to think ...

Old 10-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If you worked third shift, you'd have plenty of time to look for other work. In fact, working third shift can also give you the opportunity to work multiple jobs in a day. I think it was about two years ago that I tried out a job in retail management. The job advertised was assistant store manager, but it ended up being a "bait and switch" deal. Produce department manager...and I don't know a thing about how fruits and vegetables should look, or how to tell when they've gone bad.

Anyway, instead of simply quitting my third shift job, I kept it and also worked full time in produce. After mere weeks, I determined that wasn't a job I was going to be able to do well, though I might have done just fine as an assistant store manager.
That's an idea but for someone without a driver's license and who is unable to obtain one, not realistic in my situation. There is no night owl bus service in my area plus it isn't safe for a female to be traveling via bus that late anyhow.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I would have simply never applied for them, so I wouldn't know how much they would be. I don't feel that is "earned" money, so I don't want it. I'd rather get myself hooked up with another job. I've often had the new job before quitting the other one.
That's good that you always line up new jobs prior to quitting the old ones as resigning does not qualify you for UI anyhow. Now, if I took a minimum wage job versus collecting UI, I would have just enough to pay my rent, which is pretty low compared to rental costs in my area. I guess it is lazy of me to collect UI because I need extra money to eat and pay basic utilities then? Besides, UI benefits is NOT welfare as it requires that you have had worked in order to qualify.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,172,508 times
Quote:
He's dead from his own irresponsible behavior. I didn't attend the funeral. Somehow I think I got the better deal on that one.
You're pretty rough with other forum members here, but this one surprised me even coming even from you. What an extremely cold way to talk about the deceased father of your child.

You really don't have any compassion.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 AM

613 posts, read 961,857 times
Quote:
As I've said many times, I'm not in HR. And making $8 an hour answering phones would certainly be better than being an unemployer trucker who is praying for yet another u/e extension like you are.
I was waiting for that one. My username is my grandson's nickname, he likes his trucks. I am retired after 33 years in plant management. You never stay on the point, when you stated that the leaving employees were being replaced, I knew then your a nobody making $8 an hour or being so close to your company's hiring process you would know that employee's in the US as a whole are not being replaced. Oh and by the way, if you want to compare finances and make a wager, let's do it. I have all my old W-2's. You keep bragging about all this money your making. Your making peanuts because your the company gopher, you just get all the management coffee. I am here for the 3 unemployed friends who were homeless until me and my wife found out about them. Some people have compassion.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM

580 posts, read 2,295,238 times
Quote:
Honey, I have a life, a good job, an active social life. You are the one who is trolling the internet when you should be looking for work.

Do all of your friends have their nose stuck up in the air like you?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,727,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Keep dreaming, honey. Your job is good only until your employer figures it can make more money without you.

I work in retail, as long as I'm making the store money, I stay employed. But without me, they can't make any money.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,141,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
You're pretty rough with other forum members here, but this one surprised me even coming even from you. What an extremely cold way to talk about the deceased father of your child.

You really don't have any compassion.
His parental rights were legally terminated six years before he died and for good reason. My childs FATHER is the man who adopted him, my husband.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,141,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
I was waiting for that one. My username is my grandson's nickname, he likes his trucks. I am retired after 33 years in plant management. You never stay on the point, when you stated that the leaving employees were being replaced, I knew then your a nobody making $8 an hour or being so close to your company's hiring process you would know that employee's in the US as a whole are not being replaced. Oh and by the way, if you want to compare finances and make a wager, let's do it. I have all my old W-2's. You keep bragging about all this money your making. Your making peanuts because your the company gopher, you just get all the management coffee. I am here for the 3 unemployed friends who were homeless until me and my wife found out about them. Some people have compassion.
Keep up with your fantasy, frankly I don't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment