Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 PM

258 posts, read 541,071 times

Advertisements

Only 5 percent or less of individuals make 6 figures or more.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And I don't owe an explanation any more than you do except to say that I'm glad my tax dollars keep feeding your ass while you sit on these boards instead of looking for a job. And don't for an instant think that it's only employers taxes paying unemployment--that pot of money ran out almost a year ago--it's now the taxpayer. And as an unemployed person, you are not likely to have any tax debt this year.
Actually, you do have to pay taxes on UI, and as of now I've probably racked up a couple grand in tax debt for the year... not to mention we all paid taxes in our previous jobs, and many of us were probably at a higher income bracket than you. Not to mention, I was a civil servant for the last few years, so I've already given you plenty in return for your measly tax payments.

As for the charities, I could go on a brag-fest about what I've done recently - but charity is supposed to be done without asking for thanks or praise in return. In my religion we say there are three levels of mitzvot (good deeds)... one you do knowing it will come back to you, one that might benefit you later, and the highest level is an act you do knowing it won't ever be repaid. An example of the highest level is to help bury somebody (everyone adds a scoop of dirt onto the casket), which sadly I've had to do twice in the last year. This is considered the highest level because they cannot return the favor, seeing as the person is now dead. So bragging about one's charitable work kinda defeats the purpose, as it shows you need & crave the glory associated with it. Therefore, I am not impressed.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Oh the job is legit just not very many people want to do it. Door to door sells of Directv and Dish Network.
Guess I can't do it. I don't think people would take a deaf-blind TV salesperson very seriously.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
Quote:
Then you had income other than U/E or are in a very high paying unemployment state. Here in Florida you would have a zero tax liability as a single person who collected u/e for a year with no other income. If you claimed dependents you'd get a refund. (EIC, aka walfare for the working)
Actually you wouldn't be able to claim EIC if UE was your only income as it's not classed as "earned income" for EIC purposes.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Oh right--this is a thread about people who couldn't manage to keep their jobs in the first place. Right.
Really?? C'mon, even you know the majority of us were laid off due to economic downturn... how on earth does that equate to "not managing to keep a job?" I was laid off because they lost the money for my position, so it was hardly my fault - you can blame Ahhhhnold Schwarzenegger for that one. Want to try thinking before typing next time?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Guess I can't do it. I don't think people would take a deaf-blind TV salesperson very seriously.
I actually respect you a lot, since I didn't even know of your condition until a few days ago... most people would be very quick to tell us about these conditions, and wouldn't even bother trying to work around them. So I personally think you're a stronger person than anyone here, and would hire you in a heartbeat if I had an appropriate job to offer. If you lived closer, I would totally pay you to help with my snake business! That is, if you're not afraid of ssssnakes.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Then you had income other than U/E or are in a very high paying unemployment state. Here in Florida you would have a zero tax liability as a single person who collected u/e for a year with no other income. If you claimed dependents you'd get a refund. (EIC, aka walfare for the working)
As somebody else has already informed us, Florida is a low-wage "right to work state," so your rules are probably much different... I believe MOST states require taxes on UI, so unless the other posters live in FL your points are invalid. Next!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You brag too much, as I said earlier, after living 20 plus years in the LA area, those that have it don't talk about it....and that is the truth.
I can also say from personal experience, that is SOOO true... not gonna say how I know, but you can trust me on this one.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I actually respect you a lot, since I didn't even know of your condition until a few days ago... most people would be very quick to tell us about these conditions, and wouldn't even bother trying to work around them. So I personally think you're a stronger person than anyone here, and would hire you in a heartbeat if I had an appropriate job to offer. If you lived closer, I would totally pay you to help with my snake business! That is, if you're not afraid of ssssnakes.
Hey, if there's anything I can do for you over the net on the computer, let me know. Technology is amazing.

Snakes are cool by the way. As long as they don't eat my pet rats!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I can also say from personal experience, that is SOOO true... not gonna say how I know, but you can trust me on this one.
It is true. Through the years I have met a few people who are the adult children of old time movie stars and they're loaded. But you wouldn't know it as they don't bring it up. In fact they prefer not to discuss their parents unless they know someone really well. Very low key.

Have also met people who were on the fringe of the entertainment industry and constantly bragged (like Annerk does on here) about how well off they were and who they knew. It was all BS.

Those that have it, don't brag about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.