Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Or drive. What about gas? Wear and tear on the car? When I see solicitors at my door, I do not open, not only because I don't want to buy anything, but I don't trust opening for strangers.
Who opens the door to strangers? I don't care where you live most people either don't answer or shout through the door "who is it?", and then say "not interested" if it is a sales person.

People are afraid to open the door to strangers these days.

The days of going door to door have passed.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM

258 posts, read 541,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Who opens the door to strangers? I don't care where you live most people either don't answer or shout through the door "who is it?", and then say "not interested" if it is a sales person.

People are afraid to open the door to strangers these days.

The days of going door to door have passed.
I sell door to door every single week. People buy from me every single week. It is better to sell door to door and make more money than minimum wage and at the same time have plenty of time to look for work.

What about gas? You can either take the mileage deduction or expense deduction on your taxes.

What about gas? I use as much gas or less than it takes the average person to commute to and from their work place.

I know someone who has sold door to door for 20 years and has never driven more than 30 miles from his house. I know of several people who have a 30 miles or more commute to their office job.

Some say that they worked before they were on unemployment and therefore it is their right to be on unemployment. I don't disagree with that, unless you spend more than you put into it. Calculate how much you put into unemployment and how much you have taken out of it.

When you sell door to door you don't look for the people who don't want to do business with you, you only look for the ones who will listen.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
What exactly are you doing to keep sales up? People are going to buy, when they need to buy. If the economy keeps up the way it is, people will no longer have any money to spend and you too could be out of a job.

It can happen. Don't fool yourself.
If the product isn't on the shelves, they can't buy it. But even with this so-called economic downturn, we've been beating sales plan. In fact, they even pay us a bonus for doing so every quarter.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,005,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Some say that they worked before they were on unemployment and therefore it is their right to be on unemployment. I don't disagree with that, unless you spend more than you put into it. Calculate how much you put into unemployment and how much you have taken out of it.
Are you serious here?

When people have to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads, do you honestly expect them to sit down and calculate this and cut themselves off?

Why some people are so preoccupied with this I will never understand. Why not worry (more) about the nat'l debt or all the money being spent on two wars that are never going to amount to anything good? Why not worry about China's concern over what we owe them not to mention THE INTEREST we are paying on the debt?

It seems some Americans want to focus on the little piddly stuff and just can't see the big picture here.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:05 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is true. Through the years I have met a few people who are the adult children of old time movie stars and they're loaded. But you wouldn't know it as they don't bring it up. In fact they prefer not to discuss their parents unless they know someone really well. Very low key.

Have also met people who were on the fringe of the entertainment industry and constantly bragged (like Annerk does on here) about how well off they were and who they knew. It was all BS.

Those that have it, don't brag about it.
I agree.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Are you serious here?

When people have to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads, do you honestly expect them to sit down and calculate this and cut themselves off?

Why some people are so preoccupied with this I will never understand. Why not worry (more) about the nat'l debt or all the money being spent on two wars that are never going to amount to anything good? Why not worry about China's concern over what we owe them not to mention THE INTEREST we are paying on the debt?

It seems some Americans want to focus on the little piddly stuff and just can't see the big picture here.

Why be concerned about this? I'm really not. Just curious did you read what the topic of this thread is? Hmm, now go figure why am I talking about this when it happens to me the thread topic!!!!

I never said anything about starving, I'm talking about a little statement made by JFK... ASK NOT WHAT THE COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU ...ETC

Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Are you serious here?

Oh yeah another point-- No I don't expect you to do that, but I expect you to realize that you should not be a sponge on society if you can do ANYTHING to prevent it.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I work for a major retailer, they have laid people off, but not any people that work in actual core stores. They have also divested themselves of spinoffs, but as long as you work in a core store, and you keep your sales up, you're still bringing income to the company, they're NOT going to let you go. If your store isn't performing, on the other hand, that's on you.

More specifically, however, my job is making sure that there is product on the shelves for customers to buy.
Big name Retailers can and do go bankrupt (Circuit City is one example). I admire your hard work ethic but realize that your stellar job performance isn't enough to keep a company in business ....NO JOB is recession-proof.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I sell door to door every single week. People buy from me every single week. It is better to sell door to door and make more money than minimum wage and at the same time have plenty of time to look for work.

What about gas? You can either take the mileage deduction or expense deduction on your taxes.

What about gas? I use as much gas or less than it takes the average person to commute to and from their work place.

I know someone who has sold door to door for 20 years and has never driven more than 30 miles from his house. I know of several people who have a 30 miles or more commute to their office job.

When you sell door to door you don't look for the people who don't want to do business with you, you only look for the ones who will listen.
What specific areas in the US are you finding this type of success selling door to door at this day and age?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah another point-- No I don't expect you to do that, but I expect you to realize that you should not be a sponge on society if you can do ANYTHING to prevent it.
In order to even QUALIFY for UI, a person must have had been a productive working member of society. It is the employers who have been laying off employees left and right while outsourcing our jobs overseas which are to blame for our high unemployment rate. The employers who refuses to hire those who are unemployed or overqualified are responsible for our high UI rates. Quit knocking the victims in this mess and look to the greed of corporations who would rather hire an illegal alien versus an American for lower wages....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.