Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,608,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It costs money to visit a library, check out books and study?

It costs money to volunteer?

Nothing will 'drop tons of jobs in your lap'. You have to create the opportunities for yourself. No one owes you a job.
you don't get paid for volunteering, thats why many people refuse to do it, people work to get paid, they don't work just to work

Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and why do you need a college-degree, college-education, gain skills in college just to bag groceries, work at McDonalds, Walmart, stocking merchandise, gathering shopping-carts, delivering pizza's?
There's a lot of college-educated folks who got let go due to the recession. If an employer can get a higher educated person for the same price as a lower educated one.... and the investment in training is minimal (as is the case for flipping burgers and delivering pizza), it only makes sense to hire the higher educated people.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,968,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a lot of college-educated folks who got let go due to the recession. If an employer can get a higher educated person for the same price as a lower educated one.... and the investment in training is minimal (as is the case for flipping burgers and delivering pizza), it only makes sense to hire the higher educated people.
Depends on the job. The employer wants to make sure they get a return on their investment, so they may shy away from a college grad in fear they will leave for something better when the opportunity presents itself. Seems that's what a lot of college grads are complaining about. Why exactly would anyone want a college grad delivering pizzas? That'd last a whole 4 months or so. I'd hire the underachiever. They'll stay by my side for life.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM

So why are minimum-wage employers, entry-level service employers, customer-service employers in retail, fast-food, preferring to hire people with college-degrees when in fact they are likely not going to stay at those jobs>

Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times
Quote:
So why are minimum-wage employers, entry-level service employers, customer-service employers in retail, fast-food, preferring to hire people with college-degrees when in fact they are likely not going to stay at those jobs>
I'd never hire someone with a college degree for my unskilled labor jobs. I'd rather hire someone who wants to come work for my company and eventually work their way up into a semi-skilled position and stick around long term.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd never hire someone with a college degree for my unskilled labor jobs. I'd rather hire someone who wants to come work for my company and eventually work their way up into a semi-skilled position and stick around long term.
pretty much all jobs require skills nowadays, even the lowest, low-end minimum-wage part-time jobs

Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times
Quote:
pretty much all jobs require skills nowadays, even the lowest, low-end minimum-wage part-time jobs
I disagree. Most of the time, getting a job like that entails either experience, luck, or both. But experience doesn't always equal skills. My local grocery store hires about 25 high school kids at any given time. None start with skills, they just get lucky that their name is near the top when it comes to another round of hiring. They also hire any number of adults, mostly housewives and retirees, it's doubtful that most of them have ever stocked a shelf or run a register in the past. I know two of them, one is a retired administrator and the other hadn't held a job outside of the home in 30+ years.

That said, I'd rather hire someone who had a reference of some sort from someone who said they showed up when they were expected.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,082,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
...and here in one sentence is the crux of the problem.
Tell me exactly how does going somewhere to volunteer during the day help a person unless it's similar to what type of job they were doing previously a couple of times a week? When you volunteer you are stopping yourself from applying to jobs so you can go do something that has no connection to what your career past or goals? And what about the transportation factor when traveling to this place to volunteer? If the company doesn't take care of transportation then you are spending your own money to travel somewhere to volunteer when you can be home applying to jobs,

So do you agree that volunteering is only helpful if it's connected to your background or career goals. Like in my case I wouldn't mind volunteering to help people to develop resumes because I enjoy doing it and it's also something that I have done in my career.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,756,047 times
I volunteered in a soup kitchen too and it taught me nothing, ... except how to process food. Might be something to put down if I applied for a restaurant job, though.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM

228 posts, read 507,826 times
Maybe if employed people spent a day in our shoes they may change their views on the "lazy unemployed." I'm still looking for work and I call many temp agencies once a week. I also send out 8+ resumes and cover letters a day and I'd be lucky that of the 40+ resumes weekly, one results in a scheduling for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.