Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 AM

640 posts, read 1,215,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Here in Indiana community college costs $3750 per year for a full-time student. A total Pell Grant is like $5000 if you are awarded a full Pell Grant. There are also state grants and scholarships available. San Juan College in New Mexico is around $105 a credit for out-of-state tuition and $80 a credit for in-state tuition. Gateway Community College in Phoenix is around $80 a credit hour for in-state residents of Maricopa County.

There are options out there is all I am saying. I don't know where you live, but it sounds like it is too expensive and need to move or you are just feeling sorry for yourself.
I know there are options for me. I tried going to community college in january 2011 but the financial aid I got wasn't even enough to cover the costs. They tried charging me for it until I cleared up misunderstandings.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Tell me exactly how does going somewhere to volunteer during the day help a person unless it's similar to what type of job they were doing previously a couple of times a week? When you volunteer you are stopping yourself from applying to jobs so you can go do something that has no connection to what your career past or goals? And what about the transportation factor when traveling to this place to volunteer? If the company doesn't take care of transportation then you are spending your own money to travel somewhere to volunteer when you can be home applying to jobs,

So do you agree that volunteering is only helpful if it's connected to your background or career goals. Like in my case I wouldn't mind volunteering to help people to develop resumes because I enjoy doing it and it's also something that I have done in my career.
So how many jobs have you applied for this week? I figure if it takes two hours per job and you've applied for 10 jobs, you've still got a lot of free time on your hands. As an employer I'd rather see that someone volunteered within their community rather than white space.

And particularly for someone like you who works in a social services field, I'd think volunteering with an organization like the United Way would put you in touch with many people who might know of open positions in your field and might be willing to put in a good word for you. Just saying.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:05 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,608,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. Most of the time, getting a job like that entails either experience, luck, or both. But experience doesn't always equal skills. My local grocery store hires about 25 high school kids at any given time. None start with skills, they just get lucky that their name is near the top when it comes to another round of hiring. They also hire any number of adults, mostly housewives and retirees, it's doubtful that most of them have ever stocked a shelf or run a register in the past. I know two of them, one is a retired administrator and the other hadn't held a job outside of the home in 30+ years.

That said, I'd rather hire someone who had a reference of some sort from someone who said they showed up when they were expected.
well thats what i mean, it's like as if entry-level jobs don't exist anymore, because doesn't entry-level imply that you don't need experience for the job?
but yet minimum-wage jobs in retail, fast-food, restaurant, warehouse, customer-service, such as stocking merchandise, being a cashier in a retail store or fast-food place, restaurant, bussing tables, washing dishes, gathering shopping-carts for a supermarket, doing concessions at a movie theater, or cleaning the theater auditoriums, etc.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
well thats what i mean, it's like as if entry-level jobs don't exist anymore, because doesn't entry-level imply that you don't need experience for the job?
but yet minimum-wage jobs in retail, fast-food, restaurant, warehouse, customer-service, such as stocking merchandise, being a cashier in a retail store or fast-food place, restaurant, bussing tables, washing dishes, gathering shopping-carts for a supermarket, doing concessions at a movie theater, or cleaning the theater auditoriums, etc.
Did you even read what I wrote?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Did you even read what I wrote?
yes I did, apparently you disagree, if someone lacks experience for a job like that, they won't get hired, and they need references, a resume for a job like that too, it's ridiculous

Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
yes I did, apparently you disagree, if someone lacks experience for a job like that, they won't get hired, and they need references, a resume for a job like that too, it's ridiculous
Oh my God. And you wonder...

As I said, most of the people who work in the grocery store near my were hired without experience. What most of them probably did have was a reference. A neighbor they had babysat or mowed lawns or an organization they had done volunteer work for as an example.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,100,188 times
Quote:
A resume is needed for any job but it just looks different depending on the job. My style resume wouldn't be necessary if I applied to a minimum wage job because it's for a professional type of position. A resume for a minimum wage job would just have duties not accomplishments because the point of it would be just to see how much experience you have in

fast food
retail
janitorial
stocking

Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,100,188 times
Quote:

As I said, most of the people who work in the grocery store near my were hired without experience. What most of them probably did have was a reference. A neighbor they had babysat or mowed lawns or an organization they had done volunteer work for as an example.

Yeah that's true, i was hired to work in the produce section at a grocery store and had no experience at all but was only hired because my Aunt was the cashier at the store.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:

and if a person reaches a certain-age without experience, candidates, applicants will be rejected for those type of jobs too, it's like there comes a time in life where it is too late to gain work experience for a specific, certain type of job

Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
and if a person reaches a certain-age without experience, candidates, applicants will be rejected for those type of jobs too, it's like there comes a time in life where it is too late to gain work experience for a specific, certain type of job
In your lifetime have you:

Gone to school?

Teachers will often give students references if asked

Done volunteer Work?

Get a reference from the person who you volunteered with.

Helped out a neighbor with a chore--paid or unpaid?

There's a reference.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.