Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 02:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? You need to start watching the Business channel on cable. Even the very wealthy are cutting back.

Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills now has lots of vacant stores. People of all classes are concerned about the future.

Many of the very wealthy and even the not so wealthy are buying gold fearing the US dollar will collapse. In fact it is hard to purchase gold right now and the price keeps going up.
Not that it matters, but we've continued to meet sales plan. We probably do about half a million a week in sales.

What about people that work at grocery stores? You gotta eat, even if you're doing it on someone else's dime.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:27 PM

258 posts, read 541,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sorry to hear about this guy Al. It would be nice if we had a more compassionate society versus one that pointed fingers at the victims of our economic woes ... Our corrupt politicians and corrupt business practices should shoulder the blame, not the people who cannot find work no matter how hard they pound the pavement.
Your right in this case the GOVERNMENT should of put this guy to work. I don't care if they hired him to pick up trash on the streets or whatever. Just something.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Telling themselves that all unemployed people are lazy puts their mind at ease--by convincing themselves that it can't happen to them.
Simply stated, and totally true.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Simply stated, and totally true.
I'm terrified it might happen to me, that is why I continually look to reduce my bills and save money, so that if it does happen I can shovel poop if I need to earn a few pennies to survive.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
I'm terrified it might happen to me, that is why I continually look to reduce my bills and save money, so that if it does happen I can shovel poop if I need to earn a few pennies to survive.
Me, too, Mquest. Me, too...

Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,005,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
How terribly sad. I anticipate we'll be hearing this a lot more in the future.
Yes, on this same forum (which I can't even go to very often as it breaks my heart too much) there was another guy who was sleeping in the woods. While Al's story is not on the Net (his family asked for privacy) there is another story of another guy on the same forum who was sleeping in the woods and afraid to sleep there another night. Believe it or not, the people on the forum tracked him down by calling the libraries in that city and locating him and sending the police. He went to the hospital (he was thinking of stepping in front of a train) and a total stranger, who lived two hours away, reached out to him. Her son drove two hours to pick up a total stranger and invited him to live in their trailer. This was a couple living on $700 plus disabililty only each month. They set up a make-shift bedroom for him in their trailer dining room so he could have privacy. At last report it worked out well.

While I was and am blown away at the compassion demonstrated for a total stranger by those who have so little, I am equally disturbed over those who lack compassion for the unemployed by those who have much more.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 10-16-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: complete thought

Old 10-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yes, on this same forum (which I can't even go to very often as it breaks my heart too much) there was another guy who was sleeping in the woods. While Al's story is not on the Net (his family asked for privacy) there is another story of another guy on the same forum who was sleeping in the woods and afraid to sleep there another night. Believe it or not, the people on the forum tracked him down by calling the libraries in that city and locating him and sending the police. He went to the hospital (he was thinking of stepping in front of a train) and a total stranger, who lived two hours away, reached out to him. Her son drove two hours to pick up a total stranger and invited him to live in their trailer. This was a couple living on $700 plus disabililty only each month. They set up a make-shift bedroom for him in their trailer dining room so he could have privacy. At last report it worked out well.

While I was and am blown away at the compassion demonstrated for a total stranger by those who have so little, I am equally disturbed over those who lack compassion for the unemployed by those who have much more.
I knew someone who committed suicide months after a company fired them. They found another job - at half their previous wage - worked it a few months, then committed suicide. I heard that the firing was totally devastating (understandably), and they never got over it.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Life just might mess your well laid plans up. Your college degree that you thought would be your savior might fail you. Whatever else might fail you. Try not to wrap your joy in life in your job, because if it fails you what then?

Next time that door to door salesman that has a crappy job knocks on your be glad that he's not homeless.. Next time anyone with a menial job speaks to you, be happy they are employeed.. treat them kind and with respect... we don't need people wrapping their joy up in their fancy job...

I've picked up drug addicts and homeless people and put them to work, some of them it helped others it did not. Don't look down on your waiter or the clerk at the store or the janitor or the maid. Remember they are people too and someone has to do that type of work otherwise you'd have to do it for yourself.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,005,130 times
Soda120, that is sad indeed. If something isn't done, more of this is going to happen.

I am going to share a bit more here so that people know that the unemployed are not just lazy bums. It's a long read. Moderator, if this is inappropriate I post this here, please delete. I just want to put a human and personal spin on this whole thing and share that this story I mentioned was not made up. This was written to Congress:

This is the story of Al, one of those statistics you all talk about, one of the constituents you read letters from on the Senate floor, on the House floor:

"He did everything right: worked hard all his life, paid taxes, took care of his family, participated in his community. Then boom, one day he was laid off at age 58, and for more than two years after that could only find odd jobs here and there. Jobs he applied for had many people showing up to try to get the same 1 job. When he reached 99 weeks and lost his unemployment benefits, he lost his home, he put his disabled wife and son into a homeless shelter, he lived in his van, he suffered when the police confiscated his license plate due to nonpayment of the registration. (He later had his plate returned to him after a kind soul paid his registration fee.) Unable to drive the van for a time to seek work, he walked miles and miles, and prospective employers told him that he would not be hired because he was too old. Managers at both McDonald's and Wendy's told him that the was too old to work for them. The welfare office said he couldn't have food stamps without a mailing address. The homeless shelters that accept men told him they were full. He managed to hang onto his laptop and used it to email Congress and the White House to help the 99ers, but no one listened. Then one day last week, he gave his laptop away to a fellow jobless man who had just sold his own computer to buy milk for his baby, walked a few miles back to where his van was parked, and shot himself in the head."—a fellow unemployed poster

Today we learned he is no longer with us. He was declared brain dead yesterday. His family courageously and most lovingly removed him from life support, and he died.

Sen. Casey, your constituent is gone. Sen. Specter, your statistic is gone. And his representative? Someone from your district has passed.

While all of you were aiming your slings and arrows at each other—you know, your good friends on the other side of the aisle—day after day, week after week, month after month, no one was noticing that many millions of Als were trying to live through one more day of heartbreak, terror, disgust, anger and a million other emotions—while attempting to find something to eat, someplace to sleep, and, yes, by golly, being chipper on that job hunt.

Today I'm not addressing this to Democrats. Today, I'm not addressing this to Republicans. Today I'm not addressing this to an Independent. I'm not addressing it to your political beliefs, your deficit spending or not. I'm addressing this to each and every human being in Congress, and I'm putting you on notice that a man died—a 99er died—because no one moved fast enough to help him.

Do you know how many 99ers are near bottom right now—who don't know if they can stand one more day, or even one more hour, trying to hold on until financial aid comes to them? They are white collar, blue collar, degreed and not, many years of experience, just out of school, with families, alone, with lives they've had to just give up, lives that don't exist anymore in any way resembling "the old days" when they were proud to be employed.

We are grateful that a bill for the 99ers has been introduced. But I cannot physically fathom that you people are leaving, and leaving millions of needy people behind. By your return from your recess, there will be more Als who just. give. up.

Do you know what it's like to be penniless? I do. I've been.

Do you know what it's like to watch your loved one die from a brain injury? I do. I've watched.

His family members and close friend Bruce have been in agony since July 27 because you didn't do something to help this man in time.

Do the honorable thing tomorrow. Don't recess. Stay. Fulfill your moral obligation. And if you didn't know you had a moral obligation as a member of Congress, then maybe you ought to consider another career, perhaps as an accountant, something which makes you accountable for money, but unaccountable for lives worth saving and lives worth living.

Today we should all be mourning. This was a life lost. Al wasn't your constituent. He wasn't your statistic. He was a living, breathing, desperate human being.

How many more lives will be lost before other living, breathing, desperate human beings are helped?

XXXXX
Chicago, IL

Last edited by mistygrl092; 10-16-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Life just might mess your well laid plans up. Your college degree that you thought would be your savior might fail you. Whatever else might fail you. Try not to wrap your joy in life in your job, because if it fails you what then?

Next time that door to door salesman that has a crappy job knocks on your be glad that he's not homeless.. Next time anyone with a menial job speaks to you, be happy they are employeed.. treat them kind and with respect... we don't need people wrapping their joy up in their fancy job...

I've picked up drug addicts and homeless people and put them to work, some of them it helped others it did not. Don't look down on your waiter or the clerk at the store or the janitor or the maid. Remember they are people too and someone has to do that type of work otherwise you'd have to do it for yourself.
If I could, I'd rep you til the cows came home for this post.
Totally agree with everything, especially with not wrapping yourself up in a job. That is probably what a former coworker did - and they're dead now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.