Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
Before the economy went to the crapper, and even during the bad economy for a while I made a good bit more without a degree than most of my friends did with one. It all depends on the individual, and what they want to do with their life. Just because you couldn't afford to throw away $80,000 on a degree doesn't mean you should be doomed to poverty for the rest of your life.
It's 80,000 over 25 years. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 AM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, everyone spends their money differently... I put most of mine towards rent (which is a LOT more than $560), and the rest has to be distributed between my food, my pet's food (I'd starve myself before them), bills, car expenses, etc. Oh, and I do have a social life - not going out like I used to, but as often as I can still afford. Good budgeting is all relative, I suppose.

Well said. Different people have different priorities. Some people don't realize that there are many different things that their money goes towards. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to live on what seems to be less than $900/month. And living in a state where the cost of living is an order of magnitude higher compared to many places in the country, you really have to get as much as you can from your money.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 AM

164 posts, read 440,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's 80,000 over 25 years. It's not as bad as it sounds.
Unless you can't get a loan or grants. Then it's pretty darned unattainable.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Before the economy went to the crapper, and even during the bad economy for a while I made a good bit more without a degree than most of my friends did with one. It all depends on the individual, and what they want to do with their life. Just because you couldn't afford to throw away $80,000 on a degree doesn't mean you should be doomed to poverty for the rest of your life.
I'm not saying you can't make a good living without a degree... but having one does increase your chances, and usually offers more job stability in the long-run. I don't feel it was a waste of money, and wouldn't give back my degrees for anything.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Scholarships, state schools, community college... viable options for those who can't get loans/grants. My education didn't cost $80K, and I came out with a BA and Master's.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
The first half of college cost about $6000 if you go to community college. After that, you're on the hook for whatever your local state school charges. You have the option to take one or two classes per semester... whatever it takes. College is expensive but attainable.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, everyone spends their money differently... I put most of mine towards rent (which is a LOT more than $560), and the rest has to be distributed between my food, my pet's food (I'd starve myself before them), bills, car expenses, etc. Oh, and I do have a social life - not going out like I used to, but as often as I can still afford. Good budgeting is all relative, I suppose.

Well, that's $1120 a month, basically. But that includes utilities. And it's only 2/3 of the total, since my room mate chips in the other third. She's disabled, and only gets about half what I'm making, so that's fair.

I just don't have any money for extras. Which reminds me, I have to put $20 on my phone next paycheck...that comes out of the food budget.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM

164 posts, read 440,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The first half of college cost about $6000 if you go to community college. After that, you're on the hook for whatever your local state school charges. You have the option to take one or two classes per semester... whatever it takes. College is expensive but attainable.
I've actually been looking into my options for a while now... but it's still looking pretty unattainable. The only grant I can get is the Pell grant. I can't get any loans, as my credit is faaar over extended just to survive, and I have no money or income of my own in a few weeks when extended benefits run out. I've been on the verge of bankruptcy for a year now. Even $6000 for the first half of college is out of reach, and what would I live on while going to college?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times
I have a degree and am having trouble finding employment like everyone else but mine didn't cost me any money. It only cost my soul. Any healthy able bodied American with a clean record could earn their degree the same way I did.

And as far as the older crowd not getting it and thinking you are lazy for not having a job they are out of touch with reality. That's par for the course for the Baby Boomer Generation. They entered the workforce and had the world handed to them on a silver platter with the entire industrial world in ruins after the end of WWII. If it cheers you up any the majority of them will be dead or retired in the next ten years and their jobs will be ripe for the taking.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I've actually been looking into my options for a while now... but it's still looking pretty unattainable. The only grant I can get is the Pell grant. I can't get any loans, as my credit is faaar over extended just to survive, and I have no money or income of my own in a few weeks when extended benefits run out. I've been on the verge of bankruptcy for a year now. Even $6000 for the first half of college is out of reach, and what would I live on while going to college?
In NJ, if you are unemployed, your tuition to any state school is waived. I wonder if there is anything like that for you in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment