Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Got a job lead? Both my parents live in Florida, in different cities no less. They say the complete opposite of you. FL is one of the worst hit states.
Almost as bad as CA and MI. Unfortunately those are the only states where I have any type of contacts. I've already left both FL & CA in the last 3 years in hopes of something better back in Chicago, can't find anything here either.
Indeed, Florida is a pit of unemployment. My sister is moving back to Long Island in a few weeks after moving down there 18 months ago. With all of the certifications she got in her field while she was down there, and all of her practical experience (dental assisting), the best she could get was part-time retail, and even that turned out to be seasonal. She said the employment situation there overall is absolutely dismal.

You know a state is bad off if Long Island seems to be a wealth of opportunity in comparison.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 PM

613 posts, read 961,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Bet you I could find five places hiring within a mile of my home.

Minimum.
I bet you can't find 5 places within a mile of Bagdad, Arizona. This job situation depends on where you are located. Smart asses like you is what makes the unemployed situation even worse, there are women and children living on the streets and then you chirp in with a statement like that. Thats why I like that theres someone who judges all of us, not just the unemployed and you will be judged.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Some people have never walked in someone else's shoes...you can judge all you want until you are faced with the same situation-now most people know for a fact you wouldn't murder or rape anyone but what if you lose your job and can't sell your fancy house or you AND your spouse lose your jobs and couldn't find other work? Some people really don't know how hard it is because maybe they have never lost a job-when you see things on the news it's never as real as when you are living it. That's why people who are mean or critical-I usually believe they are the one's that A. have never lived it and B. Would be jumping off a bridge if it happened to them.
+1

These are also the same people who blather on about how one should just "take any job."

Your SO's temp was lucky she was even selected for that temp job and had youth and inexperience on her side. Someone 15 years older than she is with a lot of work experience in the field would probably have been dismissed out of hand as overqualified.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,126,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And how many people will apply for those five jobs?
Why does it matter?????? You just apply anyway

Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,429,673 times
When your unemployment runs out, and you have exhausted your 401k, and you don't have any one else in the home who works, guess what, you will take any job. You are just not there yet.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 PM

323 posts, read 530,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post
Older relatives have seen hard times, especially ones who lives through the depression. Obviously I wasn't there but from reading and history lessons it was pretty rough, makes this recession look like a cakewalk to them probably.

I agree it's tough times no doubt but in times past people would walk the streets looking for work just to put some food in their stomach, this really isn't that bad now plus though not perfect there's safety nets and social services for peopel these days much more so than in the past.

As far as a general consensus that unemployed people are lazy I think there's a small number who gives the whole unemployed crowd a bad rap. People who collect 99 weeks of unemployment and still havn't taken a job are being too picky in my opinion. In some areas of the country where unemployment is over 15% sure I understand that but in most areas I think they are being to picky.

I was unemployed a while back, I could have held out a little longer and found my dream job but needed to get something so took something that paid halfway decent, had benefits and still gives me the flexibility to look for new work down the road.

Also, some people are seasonal workers who year after year collect all winter long while working cash jobs on the side until their industry starts back up.
Yes it is true, some are picky - but some have valid reason to be picky - I know a guy that was making 20/hr - was offered a job making 10/hr - turned it down due to - the cost of gas, commute time, taxes = less than half of what he gets from unemployment benefits - he'd be in worse shape than he is now unemployed - he feels he can at least get a job minimum 13/hr which is still low compared to cost of living - sorta makes sense to me - I know folks who have been offered jobs at 7/hr - how low should a person go if they are already getting a lower amount from unemployment??

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When your unemployment runs out, and you have exhausted your 401k, and you don't have any one else in the home who works, guess what, you will take any job. You are just not there yet.
Who are you talking to? Me? I'm not on unemployment.

My point was that it would be a colossal waste of time for someone with an economics degree and 15 years of experience to apply for a temp job that would normally go to someone fresh out of school with no experience. Whether that person with 15 years of experience would be willing to do the job or would take it if offered has nothing to do with it. Chances are very high they aren't going to get the offer in the first place. It will be assumed that the person would command a higher price and that the person would be actively looking for something more suitable and, should the person find it, bail on the project before the six months are up, thus leaving the company stuck with finding a replacement halfway through.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,691,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Bet you I could find five places hiring within a mile of my home.

Minimum.
Yes and they pay minimum wage in FL and our part time.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,099,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You know a state is bad off if Long Island seems to be a wealth of opportunity in comparison.

My husband has been looking for a job here since the end of June...nothing! He sees the same people at various interviews...people are looking for ANYTHING. I do hope he gets something out of state soon. LI was supposed to be a stop over for us, not a 'permanent' sticking place. Now it's a nice place to live if you have a good job but for everyone else, it's just damn expensive and THERE ARE NO REAL JOBS...manufacturing is dead here...so goes Long Island....

Old 11-14-2010, 12:51 PM

323 posts, read 530,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
People in that age group (70's) were one of the last who could work at one place for 40 years and retire with decent benefits.

They have little idea how much things have changed.

Kind of like hearing I walked five miles to school and back everyday.
So True - My mom and I frequently debate about that - they don't understand that even if you are employed - jobs are more stressful vs - they went to work and came home and rarely gave the job a thought - in addition - they do not understand that although they made less money - things truly were cheaper compared to what the aveage person make now when paying for basic necessities like utilities, food especially healthy food - heck, it's even expensive to grow your own garden/veggies now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.