Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
In the 20's thru 60's - most so called poor folks had a dog - they just were not designer/pampered dogs
I've seen many homeless people on the street who have dogs, argument doesn't make sense.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
WOW - since just as many employed folks post here - seems like you are saying - cause someone is unemployed they should spend less time here = wow - what about the folks who are at work and spending time on the internet - is that stealing?
It is stealing, if you're doing it on company time. On a company computer. I don't even have Internet access at work, I can only post at home.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Got a job lead? Both my parents live in Florida, in different cities no less. They say the complete opposite of you. FL is one of the worst hit states and the unemployment #'s back it up. There are over 1 million unemployed workers in FL currently.
Almost as bad as CA and MI. Unfortunately those are the only states where I have any type of contacts. I've already left both FL & CA in the last 3 years in hopes of something better back in Chicago, can't find anything here either.

A lot of people like yourself like to run off your mouth but then can never come up with those actual leads. I've called people out on this and said if you give me a job I will give you compensation for finding it for me. So want to make some money?
When I go to work tomorrow night, I'll go a bit early, so I can note down all the businesses with help wanted signs in their windows.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well Flori-duh's whole economy is service industry related. Disney is the largest employer in the state. Their salaries average around $9 an hour.

They also just elected Rick Scott as the new governor, whose company was convicted of the largest Medicare fraud in US history.

He paid 72 million dollars of his own money to get elected to a job that pays less than 200K, good luck Flori-duh!
Politics is all about connections. Don't worry, he'll probably make all that money back over the next 4 years.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I go to work tomorrow night, I'll go a bit early, so I can note down all the businesses with help wanted signs in their windows.
So these help wanted signs on the windows, if that is the businesses you are referring to which I assume is minimum wage, as I do not know any professional businesses who put help wanted signs in a window. Why would the manager there hire somebody living in another state, who has more credentials than themselves? Do these businesses offer relocation expenses? Will they hire somebody sight unseen, or are you going to fly out for an interview at Ace Hardware for 8 bucks an hour?
Even if one could do this, do you think it would behoove somebody to move their family across the country for a minimum wage job? Sell the house, break the lease, and hopefully there is a job also for the rest of the family.
There are plenty of minimum wage jobs here in Chicago, problem is there are an insane amount of applicants, as well as the "overqualification thing" I've never worked a min wage job, I was making a few bucks over min wage when I was 14 years old, going to hire somebody who is 30 for this stuff now? It's a bit hard to fake 15 years of "work experience"

Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Politics is all about connections. Don't worry, he'll probably make all that money back over the next 4 years.
Oh, of course he will, but the residents of FL will suffer for it.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why does it matter?????? You just apply anyway
Well, duh. My point was that ANY job will have competition, so the fact that 5 jobs are available doesn't solve local unemployment... that only helps FIVE people, and I'm sure many more are looking right now. I've applied for jobs with hundreds of applicants, so that certainly wouldn't deter me! I have previously beat out that many for a job, and realize persistence is the key.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So these help wanted signs on the windows, if that is the businesses you are referring to which I assume is minimum wage, as I do not know any professional businesses who put help wanted signs in a window. Why would the manager there hire somebody living in another state, who has more credentials than themselves? Do these businesses offer relocation expenses? Will they hire somebody sight unseen, or are you going to fly out for an interview at Ace Hardware for 8 bucks an hour?
Even if one could do this, do you think it would behoove somebody to move their family across the country for a minimum wage job? Sell the house, break the lease, and hopefully there is a job also for the rest of the family.
There are plenty of minimum wage jobs here in Chicago, problem is there are an insane amount of applicants, as well as the "overqualification thing" I've never worked a min wage job, I was making a few bucks over min wage when I was 14 years old, going to hire somebody who is 30 for this stuff now? It's a bit hard to fake 15 years of "work experience"
I would actually be surprised to see someone drop everything and FLY out here for a job, when they're currently unemployed. These jobs are going to go to someone local, obviously.

I have close to 20 years of retail experience...and I haven't had much trouble finding jobs. Usually, it's been for at least a quarter more than I was getting previously. But even if I had to take a paycut, I could find a job doing what I'm doing here. The experience is actually considered beneficial.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Guess this person does not know that a lot of grads start out with a hugh monthly student loan bill on top of all the regular stuff
This person also lives in Florida, and I (who she was originally responding to) live in San Francisco - the most expensive city in the United States. So her advice is rather useless to me, especially considering she thinks The Mission is cheap. Yeah, maybe 15 years ago!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This person also lives in Florida, and I (who she was originally responding to) live in San Francisco - the most expensive city in the United States. So her advice is rather useless to me, especially considering she thinks The Mission is cheap. Yeah, maybe 15 years ago!
I was planning on moving to San Francisco. However, I looked at the numbers and it turns out it's more expensive--at least according to some of the stats I saw--to leave in San Francisco than it is to live in Los Angeles. Also, Florida has a very low cost of living, in comparison, and no personal income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment