Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 07:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,686,937 times

Advertisements

You have to understand, the people who go on and on about how unemployed people are lazy are similar to:

People with great credit who continually insult people going through foreclosure or bankruptcy

Thin people who insult fat people for being fat

White collar workers insulting blue collar workers

Highly educated insulting those who aren't.

Bottom line is, these are unhappy people who are clinging to the one thing they have that allows them to claim superiority over someone else. (I know, I used to do it myself.) You feel like crap today, so you log on to ridicule the guy with crushing credit card debt. When people do it day after day after day, you are dealing with someone with extreme personal problems or sadness of some kind. What other normal person would spend so much of his free time dwelling on the shortcomings of other people?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,005,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You have to understand, the people who go on and on about how unemployed people are lazy are similar to:

People with great credit who continually insult people going through foreclosure or bankruptcy

Thin people who insult fat people for being fat

White collar workers insulting blue collar workers

Highly educated insulting those who aren't.

Bottom line is, these are unhappy people who are clinging to the one thing they have that allows them to claim superiority over someone else. (I know, I used to do it myself.) You feel like crap today, so you log on to ridicule the guy with crushing credit card debt. When people do it day after day after day, you are dealing with someone with extreme personal problems or sadness of some kind. What other normal person would spend so much of his free time dwelling on the shortcomings of other people?
I think a lot of people are naturally mean, whether they have a crapload of personal problems or not.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I think a lot of people are naturally mean, whether they have a crapload of personal problems or not.
Ain't that the truth! Some people are just naturally jerks, usually because they have their own issues going on... perhaps they HATE their high-paying job, or their home life is unsatisfactory, so it makes them feel better to drive other people down. I'm guessing those types were bullies in high school, who'd pick on anyone "weaker" than themselves.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ain't that the truth! Some people are just naturally jerks, usually because they have their own issues going on... perhaps they HATE their high-paying job, or their home life is unsatisfactory, so it makes them feel better to drive other people down. I'm guessing those types were bullies in high school, who'd pick on anyone "weaker" than themselves.
Yes. Reminds me of this very ugly guy (yes, UGLY) in high school who had the absolute gall to talk about other people's looks. One (pretty) girl checked him good on that, pointed out all his flaws - and there were many - while he sat there looking like the fool he was. Priceless!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Yes. Reminds me of this very ugly guy (yes, UGLY) in high school who had the absolute gall to talk about other people's looks. One (pretty) girl checked him good on that, pointed out all his flaws - and there were many - while he sat there looking like the fool he was. Priceless!
LOL. I was a bit chubby in high school, and there was this one boy who tortured me over it... literally would follow me around, whispering "fat pig" and so forth into my ears. Many years later, I was looking at my old yearbook, and came across a photo of this jerk - much to my surprise, I realized he was even fatter than me! Not sure how I didn't notice that back then (our perceptions are obviously skewed as teens), but now I understand his problem was more with himself. I actually feel kinda bad for him... kinda.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,374,907 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Tried to rep you both but I gotta spread it around.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,930 times
I think it is because many of them want to feel secure in their own future. The idea that they could suddenly lose their own jobs scares them, so they make up excuses as to why they would be able to stay in work and why others are losing jobs. Also, chances are they are not happy about their own lives and/or employment and they want to take it out on others.

I know for a fact there are many unemployed and underemployed people who probably work as hard--if not harder--than full-time employed individuals. Yes, there are quite a few out there who are lazy, but there are many more who are going to college/university, volunteering, job hunting, freelancing, consulting, etc. On the other hand, I also know quite a few full-time workers who go home and watch television or play World of Warcraft.

Laziness does not have as much to do with whether or not you are unemployed. It might for a few, but for most it's about a combination of factors: experience, education, age, length of unemployment, location, career field, disabilities, connections, etc. Some say they should start businesses, but not everyone wants to own a business. Brick-and-mortar businesses are pretty expensive and requires some type of funding (unless you find an angel investor...good luck with that). Online businesses are a little easier, but it is also extremely competitive and you will be working harder launching a successful online business than most do working 9-5.

Then, there are people who say "make money off your hobby". Yes, in some ways this is possible, but there is also a lot of competition. For example, those who like to write or make crafts are usually in for a surprise when they realize individuals from developing nations are competing for the same jobs at a fraction of the cost. Many freelance writers I know are writing tons of articles daily for multiple websites. Also, due to the fact that everyone wants to write, you have websites who can charge pennies in residual income or pay maybe...$15 an article up front if you do it to their exact preference.

So, anyone who claims unemployed people are lazy should probably get out more.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now lazy might mean something entirely different to the older generation.

I once had a fiery, rebellious 95YO neighbor in Phoenix, who grew up in the Appalachin mountains, who went to Detroit to find work.

She was part of that group, way back in Detroit, who staged a sit-in and literally took over an auto plant during the Depression. They weren't going to allow scab workers to take their jobs away.

She commented to me, many times: I don't understand the younger generation today, they have no fight in them! She was referring to a hotel in town that had recently replaced their union workers with non-union workers.

She told me: Why that's an outrage! Back in the 30's we would have stormed that hotel and taken the owners hostage! I have no sympathy for this younger generation with no guts, no fight in them!
Where was she when I was watching CNBC a couple of weeks ago? I was trying to learn more about what was going on in France when they were protesting the raise in retirement age. The government was planning on raising it from 60 to 62 (or something along those lines) and many individuals started protesting in the streets. The CNBC people said, "They're protesting a two year raise in retirement? They take off a few months a year for vacation, have universal health care, longer maternity leave, etc. These people are just lazy!"

I thought, "Are you crazy?"

Old 11-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Tried to rep you both but I gotta spread it around.
Thanks for the thought.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I think it is because many of them want to feel secure in their own future. The idea that they could suddenly lose their own jobs scares them, so they make up excuses as to why they would be able to stay in work and why others are losing jobs. Also, chances are they are not happy about their own lives and/or employment and they want to take it out on others.

I know for a fact there are many unemployed and underemployed people who probably work as hard--if not harder--than full-time employed individuals. Yes, there are quite a few out there who are lazy, but there are many more who are going to college/university, volunteering, job hunting, freelancing, consulting, etc. On the other hand, I also know quite a few full-time workers who go home and watch television or play World of Warcraft.

Laziness does not have as much to do with whether or not you are unemployed. It might for a few, but for most it's about a combination of factors: experience, education, age, length of unemployment, location, career field, disabilities, connections, etc. Some say they should start businesses, but not everyone wants to own a business. Brick-and-mortar businesses are pretty expensive and requires some type of funding (unless you find an angel investor...good luck with that). Online businesses are a little easier, but it is also extremely competitive and you will be working harder launching a successful online business than most do working 9-5.

Then, there are people who say "make money off your hobby". Yes, in some ways this is possible, but there is also a lot of competition. For example, those who like to write or make crafts are usually in for a surprise when they realize individuals from developing nations are competing for the same jobs at a fraction of the cost. Many freelance writers I know are writing tons of articles daily for multiple websites. Also, due to the fact that everyone wants to write, you have websites who can charge pennies in residual income or pay maybe...$15 an article up front if you do it to their exact preference.

So, anyone who claims unemployed people are lazy should probably get out more.
Too many people around, so too much competition. I should be on an island. The less people around, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment