Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,710,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Dude, I worked for the school district... no profit to be made, and lay-offs are a numbers game. The person who didn't approve enough budget (to keep my position) has no clue who I am, what I contribute, or how hard I work - all they know is how much the state/city has allotted, and who costs too much to employ. But of course you don't respect educators, so probably think I shouldn't have been employed in the first place.
Not my problem. As I said, I still have a job, and for whatever reason, you don't.

Maybe you should have picked a different career?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,029,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not my problem. As I said, I still have a job, and for whatever reason, you don't.
Well, good for you. I had a job until 3 months ago too, so watch out for Karma - she's a b****!

No such thing as job security or loyalty these days, no matter how much profit you bring in... so while I don't wish you to lose your job, I will warn you to get off the high horse.

Quote:
Nope... I'm very satisfied with my career choice, and truly love going to work every day. How many people can say that? Librarianship is still a fairly low-competition field (since it's degree specific), so I'm not too worried - I managed to find a job last year, when the economy was just as bad, so another will come along eventually.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 AM

P.S. I never said it was "your problem" why I lost my job... you asked & implied it was my own fault, so I was simply answering your question. Follow the conversation, man!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I never said it was "your problem" why I lost my job... you asked & implied it was my own fault, so I was simply answering your question. Follow the conversation, man!
I have picked a job where I'm not going to get laid off or fired, unless there's an issue with my continued performance. You picked...something else. You say it's not your fault, but it is a result of you picking a job where you can be let go at someone else's whim.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I have picked a job where I'm not going to get laid off or fired, unless there's an issue with my continued performance. You picked...something else. You say it's not your fault, but it is a result of you picking a job where you can be let go at someone else's whim.
I'm fine with that, since at least I love what I do... and typically being a librarian is pretty solid/reliable work, so once again I'm not worried. Sorry, but you're not going to succeed in putting down my career choice - especially if we check back with each other in 10 years, and compare who's doing well in life. My mother and grandfather are/were both librarians too, and had wonderful (and lucrative enough) careers for 30+ years. We're in a lousy economy at the moment, but it can't last forever! Plus every town has a library & school, so if I were willing to move anywhere I'm sure something could be found today.

And I hate to tell you this, but NO career choice is a safe one right now... even your supposedly "un-losable" job could be slashed tomorrow, or the company could go under. So based on other career outlooks, mine is actually brighter than most. I know people in sales and business who've been unemployed for years, and are competing with hundreds to thousands of applicants for each position - if a librarian position gets more than 50 applicants, it's considered a HUGE amount.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:24 AM

Look, I tried to rep you...but I must have done so at some other point. I'm not trying to put down your career choice--I really don't care what career you picked. I don't care if you choose to sell nickel bags on the corner. I'm just saying that you chose a job where you could be laid off, so some of the blame at least, is yours.

Mine, I can't. Unless I'm not doing my job and keeping the company profitable. And if I'm not doing my job, then I really don't see the need to blame someone else for my failing. I could quit this job, tomorrow, and have something else lined up in just a few weeks. There are places hiring around here RIGHT now. They may not pay six figures...they may not even pay half of that...but jobs do exist if people are willing to take them on.

You do whatever thou wilt--it doesn't affect me a bit.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,043,720 times
Quote:

What would you suggest?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 AM

758 posts, read 1,642,934 times
Quote:
I have picked a job where I'm not going to get laid off or fired, unless there's an issue with my continued performance.
And just what is this magic job of yours?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
And just what is this magic job of yours?
I work for a major retailer, they have laid people off, but not any people that work in actual core stores. They have also divested themselves of spinoffs, but as long as you work in a core store, and you keep your sales up, you're still bringing income to the company, they're NOT going to let you go. If your store isn't performing, on the other hand, that's on you.

More specifically, however, my job is making sure that there is product on the shelves for customers to buy.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 AM

258 posts, read 541,431 times
I know why all of you are still unemployed, I offered everyone on here a job.

A job that many people think is crappy, but it pays more than your unemployment check and it will give you a flexible schedule to look for a job.

DOOR TO DOOR directv and dish network sales nationwide. Yeah I know many people say it sucks, but its better than living off unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.