Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As somebody else has already informed us, Florida is a low-wage "right to work state," so your rules are probably much different... I believe MOST states require taxes on UI, so unless the other posters live in FL your points are invalid. Next!

FL also maxes out at $275 a week for UE benefits. It really is some state, three of it cities Miami, Jacksonville, and Orlando(where Annerk is) are on the Top 10 list of toughest cities in America to find work.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM

850 posts, read 1,547,335 times
I was talking to a an executive from Dell today and we chatted about unemployment and the jobless rate and he said that he is now hearing that employers are questioning why people have been on unemployment for so long. Are you kidding me? People can't even find a job because there is so much competition out there! You just can't win. My man is looking for work and it's not easy...so I feel the pain of those that worked at a job for 20 years and have to learn how to do something else. All I can say is hopefully things get better and jobs are created that pay good wages. It may not be what your use to, but its something. Stay strong everyone and don't let idiots get your down. One day they might be in the same position as you...god knows I have been there 3 times and it's no joke being unemployed.

Are people lazy? Some might be that don't want to work anyway, but don't confuse that with those trying to help and support their families. People should be empathetic about that because you never know when yo a-- will be in that position. You never know...be grateful and be thankful.

Stay strong everyone...it's rough out there and my prayers are with you!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Hey, if there's anything I can do for you over the net on the computer, let me know. Technology is amazing.
Seriously, I'll keep you in mind... looking into starting my own business soon, and I'll probably need some help with computer-related stuff. Can you maintain websites?

Quote:
Snakes are cool by the way. As long as they don't eat my pet rats!
Uhhhhh, can't promise that - just keep them at a safe distance, or they would be dinner in about 5 seconds. I actually think rats are super cool, which is one of the reasons I prefer feeding mice to my snakes... I have a few who only eat rats, though, and it does make me feel kinda sad. But hey, snakes have to eat too!

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-14-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL also maxes out at $275 a week for UE benefits. It really is some state, three of it cities Miami, Jacksonville, and Orlando(where Annerk is) are on the Top 10 list of toughest cities in America to find work.
Yeah, I've heard it's kind of a crappy place to live... I've been there a bunch of times myself, and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. No offense to people who love it, but you can't compare the COL in FL to that of more prosperous & desirable states.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is true. Through the years I have met a few people who are the adult children of old time movie stars and they're loaded. But you wouldn't know it as they don't bring it up. In fact they prefer not to discuss their parents unless they know someone really well. Very low key.

Have also met people who were on the fringe of the entertainment industry and constantly bragged (like Annerk does on here) about how well off they were and who they knew. It was all BS.

Those that have it, don't brag about it.
Yep, very true! My mother used to say that salespeople should help those in sweatpants & no jewelry first, since they're usually the ones with the most money. Especially true around here, where a huge percentage of millionaires are Silicon Valley nerds - most of them barely even comb their hair, let alone bother with looking "flashy."

Old 10-14-2010, 11:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard it's kind of a crappy place to live... I've been there a bunch of times myself, and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. No offense to people who love it, but you can't compare the COL in FL to that of more prosperous & desirable states.

The big problem with FL is the COL has increased greatly. Homeowner's insurance and groceries are very expensive.

But the salaries overall remain low. It is also a "right to work state".

Many people move there thinking they're saving money and cut their salaries in half. Doesn't make sense to leave NY making 70k and take a job making 35k to save 5K on your property taxes.

Then they find out they're no further ahead(and many times further behind) and should have just stayed in their home state.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
Quote:
Really?? C'mon, even you know the majority of us were laid off due to economic downturn... how on earth does that equate to "not managing to keep a job?" I was laid off because they lost the money for my position, so it was hardly my fault - you can blame Ahhhhnold Schwarzenegger for that one. Want to try thinking before typing next time?
I have no idea why YOU were laid off, and I managed to keep my position. Perhaps because I'm productive enough to continue to make my company profitable? Perhaps because they really need me? I don't know.

Fact is--you were laid off, and I wasn't.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have no idea why YOU were laid off, and I managed to keep my position. Perhaps because I'm productive enough to continue to make my company profitable? Perhaps because they really need me? I don't know.

Fact is--you were laid off, and I wasn't.
Dude, I worked for the school district... no profit to be made, and lay-offs are a numbers game. The person who didn't approve enough budget (to keep my position) has no clue who I am, what I contribute, or how hard I work - all they know is how much the state/city has allotted, and who costs too much to employ. But of course you don't respect educators, so probably think I shouldn't have been employed in the first place.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,639,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I'm not a moderator obviously, but annerk please answer me this: Why do you come here to this forum and these threads?? Seriously, your posts USED to be informative and helpful, now they have taken an arrogant, self-righteous, mean-spirited tone. And yes, bragging. There are a lot of smart, hard working, kind-hearted folks out there, who work very hard and do very well at their jobs, that just got dealt a crummy break. Not everyone lives in Perfectville, Fla, where six figure jobs are the norm, crime and COL is zero, and a glut of $100K jobs go unfilled due to lazy people. I'm glad you are doing well, I really am, you worked hard and earned it all, but c'mon please, if you ARE the Second Coming, what are you doing in this thread? I'm now doing well also, but don't feel the need to shout from the rooftops that I make over $100K- Can't you just say you are doing just fine thank you, w/o the sales pitch to how awesome you and your posse are? Flame me, if you want, but as you say: I don;t give a rat's ass!!!
Bravo!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:35 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,639,061 times
Quote:
Actually, you do have to pay taxes on UI, and as of now I've probably racked up a couple grand in tax debt for the year... not to mention we all paid taxes in our previous jobs, and many of us were probably at a higher income bracket than you. Not to mention, I was a civil servant for the last few years, so I've already given you plenty in return for your measly tax payments.

As for the charities, I could go on a brag-fest about what I've done recently - but charity is supposed to be done without asking for thanks or praise in return. In my religion we say there are three levels of mitzvot (good deeds)... one you do knowing it will come back to you, one that might benefit you later, and the highest level is an act you do knowing it won't ever be repaid. An example of the highest level is to help bury somebody (everyone adds a scoop of dirt onto the casket), which sadly I've had to do twice in the last year. This is considered the highest level because they cannot return the favor, seeing as the person is now dead. So bragging about one's charitable work kinda defeats the purpose, as it shows you need & crave the glory associated with it. Therefore, I am not impressed.
I agree especially with what's bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.