Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,029,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
I've actually been looking into my options for a while now... but it's still looking pretty unattainable. The only grant I can get is the Pell grant. I can't get any loans, as my credit is faaar over extended just to survive, and I have no money or income of my own in a few weeks when extended benefits run out. I've been on the verge of bankruptcy for a year now. Even $6000 for the first half of college is out of reach, and what would I live on while going to college?
Pell Grants are good, and usually provide a stipend for living expenses... not sure how much, but should be enough for rent depending on where you live. You could also look into work-study programs, or go part-time and work part-time. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,047,425 times
Quote:
I've actually been looking into my options for a while now... but it's still looking pretty unattainable. The only grant I can get is the Pell grant. I can't get any loans, as my credit is faaar over extended just to survive, and I have no money or income of my own in a few weeks when extended benefits run out. I've been on the verge of bankruptcy for a year now. Even $6000 for the first half of college is out of reach, and what would I live on while going to college?
Try your local community college as they tend to be cheaper. Also, you can do a part-time load while working so you don't have to lose your income while attending school. In addition to Pell grants, many states offer grants and other financial aid programs for students. Finally, look into scholarships ... Not all require certain GPA's.

Check with the financial aid website at your local college for assistance.
Also, check out Fastweb : Scholarships, Financial Aid, Student Loans and Colleges for scholarships.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,860,614 times
Mothers Against Laziness (http://www.mothersagainstlaziness.org/Home.html - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FkDTyN26v4

Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM

164 posts, read 441,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Try your local community college as they tend to be cheaper. Also, you can do a part-time load while working so you don't have to lose your income while attending school. In addition to Pell grants, many states offer grants and other financial aid programs for students. Finally, look into scholarships ... Not all require certain GPA's.

Check with the financial aid website at your local college for assistance.
Also, check out Fastweb : Scholarships, Financial Aid, Student Loans and Colleges for scholarships.
A part-time load while working would be great... but the reason I'm on this forums is because I'm unemployed, and haven't been able to find any work.

The website link you included isn't working at the moment, but I'll check it out when it's back online.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,047,425 times
Quote:
A part-time load while working would be great... but the reason I'm on this forums is because I'm unemployed, and haven't been able to find any work.

The website link you included isn't working at the moment, but I'll check it out when it's back online.
Hmmm ... Maybe they were having technical difficulties when you tried it... I just tested it out and it works on my end.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,641,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
gizmo, there is no finding peace in something like this. At best, people carry on. I've read enough on suicide survivors to know better. Still, I understand it. What I REALLY want is for Americans to get off their asses and HELP each other.

I want people to STOP being judgmental and just realize WTH has gone on here. Short of that, I have no comments. I just agonize over the Als of the world.
Well said

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,641,877 times
I heard a co worker say that anyone that doesn't work full time is lazy. That's when someone told her that that's not true in all cases. Some people are in school working part time. Others work part time and then take care of the household the rest of the time.

You just can't generalize everyone and call them lazy just because they are not doing what you are doing.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Telling themselves that all unemployed people are lazy puts their mind at ease--by convincing themselves that it can't happen to them.
Now lazy might mean something entirely different to the older generation.

I once had a fiery, rebellious 95YO neighbor in Phoenix, who grew up in the Appalachin mountains, who went to Detroit to find work.

She was part of that group, way back in Detroit, who staged a sit-in and literally took over an auto plant during the Depression. They weren't going to allow scab workers to take their jobs away.

She commented to me, many times: I don't understand the younger generation today, they have no fight in them! She was referring to a hotel in town that had recently replaced their union workers with non-union workers.

She told me: Why that's an outrage! Back in the 30's we would have stormed that hotel and taken the owners hostage! I have no sympathy for this younger generation with no guts, no fight in them!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 AM

164 posts, read 441,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now lazy might mean something entirely different to the older generation.

I once had a fiery, rebellious 95YO neighbor in Phoenix, who grew up in the Appalachin mountains, who went to Detroit to find work.

She was part of that group, way back in Detroit, who staged a sit-in and literally took over an auto plant during the Depression. They weren't going to allow scab workers to take their jobs away.

She commented to me, many times: I don't understand the younger generation today, they have no fight in them! She was referring to a hotel in town that had recently replaced their union workers with non-union workers.

She told me: Why that's an outrage! Back in the 30's we would have stormed that hotel and taken the owners hostage! I have no sympathy for this younger generation with no guts, no fight in them!
Problem is, that'll get you 20 years nowdays. This politically correct nanny-state country of ours has had it's balls ripped out from under it. You wanna take a business owner hostage, you better be ready to kill or be killed. You'll be labelled a terrorist either way, and will never work for a legal business in this country again.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 AM

372 posts, read 523,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I have read enough of your posts to know you DO think the unemployed are lazy. You DON'T want people collecting UI. You DON'T care if they end up homeless (or you would not keep pushing your anti-UI agenda).

I can tell you a story of a 60 year old guy who most likely collected his UI for two years and it ended. This guy walked miles in the heat to McDonalds and Wendys only to be told he was too old. He lived in a van and was hassled by the cops due to expired tags. His wife and son were both disabled and living at a Red Cross shelter. He wrote repeatedly on a forum that if things didn't change soon he was gonna be over. Well, end of August he took a gun and shot himself in the head. He ended up in the hospital and they took him off life support a few days later. RIP, Al.

It's stories like these that make me despise people who would deny someone UI.
These are unprecedented times, indeed. Incredibly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.