Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The problem with you is... If your going to lift a finger, you will only do so if it benefits you.
That's life with human beings.

Business owners aren't going to engage in something unless it generates a profit for them. If I'm not bringing in any income and instead LOSING money (bus rides and car rides cost money) by going to the soup kitchen, I'm not going to do it. I'll be glad to hold the door open for you, carry your bags or even spare a couple bucks if you ask. But I'm struggling to keep food on my table and a roof over my head as well.

At the end of the day, if I don't do whatever benefits me the most, then I'm going to lose in this rat race, and I'm not going to give anyone else that benefit. Likewise, if it meant you not losing your home, you would probably stab a knife in my back and turn it 3 times.

It is what it is.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Can you slop food into a tray? Perfect! You can volunteer in a soup kitchen. Can you manipulate a shovel? Plenty of opportunity there. How about a rake or perhaps a lawnmower??? If qualified, there are various recreational centers that could use a few folks like you with some extra time.

The problem with you is... If your going to lift a finger, you will only do so if it benefits you. Sorry, I spent time volunteering in soup kitchens in Detroit. Taught me a lot about life, and gave me a whole knew outlook on life. I would highly recommend such an experience for you.
I want to help people create resumes because I enjoy it. So that's the kind of volunteering I'm interested in.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I want to help people create resumes because I enjoy it. So that's the kind of volunteering I'm interested in.
That might be a good thing to do at a University. It'll look great on your resume.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's interesting how people weren't calling employers evil during the 2 decades prior to the recession when employees were making ridiculous demands. Employees required business vehicles, transportation allowances, 10% raises, 40% bonuses, relocation fees, personal computers, personal internet service, etc. It's funny how willing some people are to stab employers in the back when the economy is down.
A valid point... except many of us were not even in the work force during that time period. Heck, by the time I graduated college, the tech bubble burst, and the economy has not really been healthy since then (I won't count the Housing Bubble as "health" since it was just a huge debt bubble.)

As for me, all I want is a reasonable salary for a decent job in my field. I'm not the type of guy to demand silly bonuses, free computuers, or some other nonsense from a company. Just let me do my job, reward me appropriately, and let me go on with my life contributing as I can. I know I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming all the unemployed "stabbed the employers in the back" either now or back when the economy is healthy is just a fallacy.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Couldn't afford community college all these years. Even with financial aid it was too much. I got my GED in september 2010. Worked 2 seasonal jobs last year because that was all I could find out here. Of course I was looking for a job even before that. I am working with vocrehab right now because I have a disability. You hear all about employers are not allowed to discriminate, but in the real world that crap means nothing. I am trying to get off SSI because it's too little for me to live on. I am hoping vocrehab will be able to help me out somehow. I guess all I can do is move out of here.

People say you gotta start from the bottom, well that's what I've been trying to do for all these years, it's not working out.
Here in Indiana community college costs $3750 per year for a full-time student. A total Pell Grant is like $5000 if you are awarded a full Pell Grant. There are also state grants and scholarships available. San Juan College in New Mexico is around $105 a credit for out-of-state tuition and $80 a credit for in-state tuition. Gateway Community College in Phoenix is around $80 a credit hour for in-state residents of Maricopa County.

There are options out there is all I am saying. I don't know where you live, but it sounds like it is too expensive and need to move or you are just feeling sorry for yourself.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,654 times
Quote:
It's interesting how people weren't calling employers evil during the 2 decades prior to the recession when employees were making ridiculous demands. Employees required business vehicles, transportation allowances, 10% raises, 40% bonuses, relocation fees, personal computers, personal internet service, etc. It's funny how willing some people are to stab employers in the back when the economy is down.
because before the recession started, places like McDonald's and other Fast-Food Places, Grocery stores, Retail stores, Overall, Entry-Level Service Jobs, Minimum-Wage Jobs, did not required or expect years of experience, extra-qualifications, references, resume's, etc.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
A valid point... except many of us were not even in the work force during that time period. Heck, by the time I graduated college, the tech bubble burst, and the economy has not really been healthy since then (I won't count the Housing Bubble as "health" since it was just a huge debt bubble.)

As for me, all I want is a reasonable salary for a decent job in my field. I'm not the type of guy to demand silly bonuses, free computuers, or some other nonsense from a company. Just let me do my job, reward me appropriately, and let me go on with my life contributing as I can. I know I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming all the unemployed "stabbed the employers in the back" either now or back when the economy is healthy is just a fallacy.
It sounds like you were in college when the economy was at the top rather than in the workplace. That's a decision you made and not a good excuse for not participating in the economy. You had a choice.

I understand what you're looking for. It is very reasonable and I wish you the best in your journey. Due to the current state of the economy, that could take time. Now is actually the ideal time to go to college or invest in yourself in other ways so that you can bounce back when the environment is more ideal.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
because before the recession started, places like McDonald's and other Fast-Food Places, Grocery stores, Retail stores, Overall, Entry-Level Service Jobs, Minimum-Wage Jobs, did not required or expect years of experience, extra-qualifications, references, resume's, etc.
They require it now only to filter the [relative] creme of the crop applicants. When they can get someone with experience, references, etc., why should they hire someone without one?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,921 times
Quote:
It sounds like you were in college when the economy was at the top rather than in the workplace. That's a decision you made and not a good excuse for not participating in the economy. You had a choice.

I understand what you're looking for. It is very reasonable and I wish you the best in your journey. Due to the current state of the economy, that could take time. Now is actually the ideal time to go to college or invest in yourself in other ways so that you can bounce back when the environment is more ideal.
Keep in mind I went straight from high school to college... so there wasn't really any chance to participate in the booming economy since much of that boom was for college graduates. Had I not gone to college, I would have ended up lacking much in the way of useful skills vs. having 10 years of engineering experience and a degree in that field. So, while it was a decision I made, it was the only logical one at the time.

Anyway, thanks for the best wishes. Hopefully, something will come of it all.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,340,091 times
There has been some fine, cogent, well-reasoned and insightful discussion in this thread. There has also been an awful lot of off-topic remarks, political commentary and personal attacks. I would very much like to leave this conversation open to continue. Whether or not I do so will depend on all of you.

Please stay on topic, refrain from political remarks, and stop engaging in personal attacks, or I will be compelled to close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.