Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,641,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yes, I do find people who are unemployed for very long periods of time to be lazy. Usually its because they are incredibly picky about the type of work they will take. For instance, I have never had a problem getting a job, once I quit one job and then two weeks later I found another that paid a few bucks more to replace it. I am very flexible in the type of work that I will do which is why I find employment quicker than others.

There was a girl who I knew that claimed she needed money so bad to help pay for her granny's funeral, she was crying major tears so I told her about a handful of positions that were hiring people at the moment (decent desk jobs) and every last job I told her about she never took it. She always made an excuse for why it wasn't the right fit for her. Same situation happened with another acquaintance, she moaned about how she needed employment so bad and I knew someone who was hiring right on the spot in the very same field she worked in and she never got off her behind to get the job. so from there on I figure people are unemployed because they want to be.

I am glad that you judge all unemployed people just based off that girl you posted about.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s819 View Post
there's too many people now days and far fewer jobs are available.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,594,393 times
Why do people assume that employed people AREN'T lazy? It can be a two-way street.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,778 times
If it was like the old days where you went in and gave an application and none of this online crap existed then you'd have more justification to call people lazy but with the way it is today it's not just people being lazy.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,982,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
If it was like the old days where you went in and gave an application and none of this online crap existed then you'd have more justification to call people lazy but with the way it is today it's not just people being lazy.
Not enough jobs. Not enough qualified people for the jobs that are available today. Too many people chasing the same few over saturated fields. Too many people who expect 50K for 24K worth of potential contribution. Too many people who refuse to accept they are not worth what they think they are in the free market. And a lot who would benefit from trying something new besides endlessly whining. The tune is getting old on this forum.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,780,216 times
This is the way I see it. I don't see the unemployed as lazy. I know people who are unemployed simply because there is nothing in their field. It doesn't make them lazy in my opinion. It just means they have high expectations. It comes with getting an education. I'm getting my B.A. in Geography tomorrow morning. When I get that degree. I'm going to expect more than a minimum wage job. I look at it like this. I went to school and earned a degree so that I wouldn't have to work at some menial job. If I wanted menial labor, I would get it. Someone once told me "the world needs ditch diggers and janitors". Well, I don't want to do that work. If push comes to shove, I might have to take a menial job. However, I have high expectations of myself.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Dude, I am seeing competition for jobs that pay minimum wage with no hours. It wasn't always like that. A good example is that mcdonald's hiring fair they had. Over a million plus people were rejected. People were comparing it to getting into Harvard and said Harvard had a higher acceptance rate when the statistics were put side by side.

I am willing to work minimum wage any day of the week with maximum hours and I am no closer to getting hired then I was the day I turned 18 which was almost 4 years ago now.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,043,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Even when I worked in the private sector, before the recession, some of the laziest people I've seen were employees not the unemployed. Especially managers and C-level execs. Some of those C's were handicapped without their assistants and "gophers." They were a joke. I've worked next to some lazy private sector people too. They are spoiled at their job, with all those fringe benefits and other "goodies." Once they become unemployed though, they sober up quick and realize what a good thing they had.

And I personally , in my life at least, don't know any unemployed person who is "lazy" or a spoiled whiner. Of course there's plenty of them. I stay away from those. There is no way anyone with half a brain can live it up on unemployment or public assistance while being unemployed. You have to be a scammer or a criminals who is skilled at your trade for that to occur.

So anybody who insists the unemployed are all lazy is brainwashed. Or seriously retarded.

I've worked for many of them as well. Some were complete morons. They got jobs simply because they had rich, connected families.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,043,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
While I agree with what you say in theory, my engineering degree and 10+ years of related experience more than proves that I "give a crap." As for being the guy the boss cannot do without, that's what they called me where I used to work... everyone knew if you wanted something done right and quickly, you came to me. And right up until the end, they gave me raises, promotions, and bonuses... But then again, that doesn't always matter - sometimes, it's the idiots, the boss's son, and the crooks who keep their jobs, not the hard-workers.

So, I agree with the *theory* of what you're saying, and people should try their best, but sometimes reality - and bad luck - have an overwhelming impact.
I understand this perfectly. When upcoming layoffs were announced, everyone thought I was safe. 'We can function without you'. 'You do everything, they can't let you go.' People were stunned when they passed my desk and I was gone.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Why do people assume that employed people AREN'T lazy? It can be a two-way street.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.