Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM

219 posts, read 562,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
I know why all of you are still unemployed, I offered everyone on here a job.

A job that many people think is crappy, but it pays more than your unemployment check and it will give you a flexible schedule to look for a job.

DOOR TO DOOR directv and dish network sales nationwide. Yeah I know many people say it sucks, but its better than living off unemployment.
Is there a base salary with this job? People may want to know this.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I work for a major retailer, they have laid people off, but not any people that work in actual core stores. They have also divested themselves of spinoffs, but as long as you work in a core store, and you keep your sales up, you're still bringing income to the company, they're NOT going to let you go. If your store isn't performing, on the other hand, that's on you.

More specifically, however, my job is making sure that there is product on the shelves for customers to buy.

What exactly are you doing to keep sales up? People are going to buy, when they need to buy. If the economy keeps up the way it is, people will no longer have any money to spend and you too could be out of a job.

It can happen. Don't fool yourself.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post

You know as well as everybody else, it is a commission job. You would probably have to walk 10 miles door to door for one sale to get a net profit of 10 dollars.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You know as well as everybody else, it is a commission job. You would probably have to walk 10 miles door to door for one sale to get a net profit of 10 dollars.
That's why I asked. He said it paid out more than unemployment. I doubt that is true.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 AM

258 posts, read 541,071 times
Quote:
Good question, no there is no base. It is straight commission. The good part is you can try it over the weekend or any other time you have free and see if you can sell anything in 1 or 2 days. If you can't sell anything in 5 days then this is not for you. You would still be getting your unemployment during that time so whats the big deal.

Look I've been around a straight commission type business for 14 years and its not as bad as many people think. Every business owner is on straight commission.

I've never had a week I didn't make over $500. $500 is a very very bad week for me. If you really need money and work super hard you can and most likely will make between 1,000-2,000. With daylight savings ending on Nov 7th, that figure might go down to 600-1400 a week.

I can understand not wanting to work on straight commission if you currently had a steady job. However; if you are not working and on unemployment what do you have to lose?

I pay between 150-215 per sale.

You can also work anywhere in the U.S. Mock all you want, doubt all you want. Think about this, do you think you would see ADULTS knocking on your door for minimum wage? Come on now what idiot would knock on doors for minimum wage?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
PLEASE BACK ON TOPIC-and everyone stop attacking eachother-
Also,mquest123 you are not to advertise jobs in this forum-the moderator will "cut you off" so stop-
Now, we are here for the topic-I'm unemployed and not lazy-I volunteer, attend school, and look for a job-I also live in Florida and I can tell you it's bad here...I think Tampa is over 13% now-but I don't let it stop me...I've had a few interviews...some good, some bad and some laughable...I've worked for 16 years and now I've hit a bump in the road...one thing people ( Ron) cannot do is become bitter-I was at first but now-I just have to go on-I know what I can live on so I look for jobs in that salary range-
However from my observations I see that some people on these forums are extremely lazy and still on their high horse-that is not my problem-
I tell you one thing though... when I do get a job I will try to help others get employment as well-

Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantalife View Post
I really cannot stand people in their 70s who have NO IDEA what this recession is like for those of us out of work and without 'aid' of any kind. My aunt and uncle who are both in their early 70s tell me I am just lazy and need to put on my suit and start knocking on doors like THEY DID in 1960 and I will get a job.

They raise a family on one income. Times are tough and I am trying like **** to find a job. Meanwhile they tut-tut and say to me get myself down to McDonalds or do ANYTHING to earn money.

Can anyone else relate?
Ugh! Can I relate. I was very close friends with a guy who is 74 (I always viewed him like the father I never had, until my father died and he was a real jerk) and went around and around with this. I explained to him that he was lucky to be born when he was and that times have changed. He absolutely refused to acknowledge this. He got a good job with a high school diploma and worked for the government for a gazillion years.

Anyway, I don't know how to change anyone's view of that age. I don't even try anymore.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 10-15-2010 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: emphasis

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
That's why I asked. He said it paid out more than unemployment. I doubt that is true.

Or drive. What about gas? Wear and tear on the car? When I see solicitors at my door, I do not open, not only because I don't want to buy anything, but I don't trust opening for strangers.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Or drive. What about gas? Wear and tear on the car? When I see solicitors at my door, I do not open, not only because I don't want to buy anything, but I don't trust opening for strangers.
Yes, door-to-door sales in this day in age is a total crapshoot. It's also an extremely outdated model. It is not the 1950s anymore.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ugh! Can I relate. I was very close friends with a guy who is 74 (I always viewed him like the father I never had, until my father died and he was a real jerk) and went around and around with this. I explained to him that he was lucky to be born when he was and that times have changed. He absolutely refused to acknowledge this. He got a good job with a high school diploma and worked for the government for a gazillion years.

Anyway, I don't know how to change anyone's view of that age. I don't even try anymore.
You can't change people's minds...just do the best you can-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.