Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 12:17 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times

Advertisements

I don't normally like to pick on people, and think some of these criticisms are way too harsh. But I do have to bring up one point, Annerk... whenever speaking of your finances, you use the term "we" or "our." So unless you're using the royal "we," I'm assuming that means you're married/partnered, and thus have another income to depend on? My brother-in-law was unemployed for a year after grad school, and didn't even have to worry about UI (which he wouldn't have qualified for as a recent graduate) since my sister could cover things in the meantime. Unfortunately many of us don't have that luxury, and it's MUCH scarier to lose your job as a single person.

I have no husband or partner to pay the bills, add to savings accounts, and generally offer financial & emotional support. My parents are as supportive as they can be, but I'm too old to live with them & they can't pay my rent. So imagine if, god forbid, BOTH of you were unemployed tomorrow - would you still be so confident in your ability to survive financially? It does and has happened to many families, and I'm sure it was a devastating wake-up call. Why do you think there are so many foreclosures these days? I don't wish that on you at all, but you really should consider this before judging other people's situations.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of walking to work ... Yes, minimum wage jobs are better than zero income but it would be foolish to not apply for unemployment benefits to accept a job that would pay you half or less than what you could receive on UI. I seriously considered applying to lower wage jobs as I wanted to work but am so glad that I did not go that route as it would have interfere with my part-time gigs that actually will help me attain that full-time position in my industry. Working retail/fast food or Disneyland would have tied me up and not allowed me the time to go on the 20+ interviews I had this year alone.
According to the employment development department themselves, this is precisely why UI exists... I read through the paperwork word for word, and it says (more or less) that you're only expected to apply for "acceptable work commensurate with prior experience and education." Someone with a higher educational or professional level isn't expected to apply at McDonald's, and quite frankly it would be disadvantageous to everyone if we did. Not only would that hurt our financial situation, but it would also take minimum wage jobs from those who actually need them.

Applying for "anything" is a noble idea in theory, but not all that smart in practice... lord knows I've applied for "lower" jobs than I'm used to, but applying for something that pays $5 (which would be illegal here) is fairly pointless. I'm SURE you'd all give me slack if I were on welfare, food stamps, medi-cal & Section 8 - which would be the reality if I only earned $5/hr.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A job's a job. I've never spent a lot of time unemployed, because I'd be knocking on doors and making phone calls about jobs.
Nothing wrong with working retail, and I respect your tenacity & work ethic... but as somebody who works in retail, you obviously don't understand that most other jobs don't hire walk-ins. I've worked in service (restaurant) jobs previously, and DID get a few of them by filling out an app in person - but that's unnecessary & often impossible with the kind of jobs I'm seeking now.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
According to the employment development department themselves, this is precisely why UI exists... I read through the paperwork word for word, and it says (more or less) that you're only expected to apply for "acceptable work commensurate with prior experience and education." Someone with a higher educational or professional level isn't expected to apply at McDonald's, and quite frankly it would be disadvantageous to everyone if we did. Not only would that hurt our financial situation, but it would also take minimum wage jobs from those who actually need them.

Applying for "anything" is a noble idea in theory, but not all that smart in practice... lord knows I've applied for "lower" jobs than I'm used to, but applying for something that pays $5 (which would be illegal here) is fairly pointless. I'm SURE you'd all give me slack if I were on welfare, food stamps, medi-cal & Section 8 - which would be the reality if I only earned $5/hr.

You seem like you have a sound mind of reason. This is something this thread has been missing. Until now you were either on one side of the fence, or the other shouting at each other. You can be our mediator.

Just don't forget to vote on my poll. You know, it's the one where you are asked if you would like to clean toilets for the rest of your career.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nothing wrong with working retail, and I respect your tenacity & work ethic... but as somebody who works in retail, you obviously don't understand that most other jobs don't hire walk-ins. I've worked in service (restaurant) jobs previously, and DID get a few of them by filling out an app in person - but that's unnecessary & often impossible with the kind of jobs I'm seeking now.
If it was the kind of job that required a lengthy job search, I wouldn't bother with it for the moment. I'd seek out a job that I COULD get that way. Sure, the pay isn't great, and isn't the sort of pay you are used to, but it IS something. That's all I've been trying to say, for who knows how long.

Then, once you're bringing SOME sort of income in, you can continue your search for something BETTER, but at least have the humility to take something that you may feel is beneath you on a temporary basis.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You seem like you have a sound mind of reason. This is something this thread has been missing. Until now you were either on one side of the fence, or the other shouting at each other. You can be our mediator.
LOL, and thanks... did you know I used to be a moderator for City-Data? Maybe that's where my diplomacy comes from, but I also happen to be a Libra - the "justice seekers" of the astrological chart.

Quote:
Just don't forget to vote on my poll. You know, it's the one where you are asked if you would like to clean toilets for the rest of your career.
I did, and voted no... however, if there was a third option for "seek appropriate employment UNTIL you have no other options," that's what I'd have voted for instead. I'm not looking for minimum wage jobs now, but would if I had exhausted all other possibilities.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Not everyone has the luxury of walking to work ... Yes, minimum wage jobs are better than zero income but it would be foolish to not apply for unemployment benefits to accept a job that would pay you half or less than what you could receive on UI. I seriously considered applying to lower wage jobs as I wanted to work but am so glad that I did not go that route as it would have interfere with my part-time gigs that actually will help me attain that full-time position in my industry. Working retail/fast food or Disneyland would have tied me up and not allowed me the time to go on the 20+ interviews I had this year alone.

If you worked third shift, you'd have plenty of time to look for other work. In fact, working third shift can also give you the opportunity to work multiple jobs in a day. I think it was about two years ago that I tried out a job in retail management. The job advertised was assistant store manager, but it ended up being a "bait and switch" deal. Produce department manager...and I don't know a thing about how fruits and vegetables should look, or how to tell when they've gone bad.

Anyway, instead of simply quitting my third shift job, I kept it and also worked full time in produce. After mere weeks, I determined that wasn't a job I was going to be able to do well, though I might have done just fine as an assistant store manager.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
If I had no other recourse, then I'd accept a minimum wage job ... My UI benefits were more than what minimum wage employment would have paid so that was not an option.
I would have simply never applied for them, so I wouldn't know how much they would be. I don't feel that is "earned" money, so I don't want it. I'd rather get myself hooked up with another job. I've often had the new job before quitting the other one.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
If it was the kind of job that required a lengthy job search, I wouldn't bother with it for the moment. I'd seek out a job that I COULD get that way. Sure, the pay isn't great, and isn't the sort of pay you are used to, but it IS something. That's all I've been trying to say, for who knows how long.

Then, once you're bringing SOME sort of income in, you can continue your search for something BETTER, but at least have the humility to take something that you may feel is beneath you on a temporary basis.
Yeah, but how are you going to fill out lengthy applications, attend interviews (particularly long-distance ones), etc, if you're working 40 hours at a random low-paying job? Chances are that type of job won't allow for personal time off, and they're quick to fire people who miss work - thus blowing any chance of collecting UI until you find something else. I understand your point, but respectfully disagree... might be a good option for some people, just not for me & others like myself.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-14-2010 at 03:19 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
I would have simply never applied for them, so I wouldn't know how much they would be. I don't feel that is "earned" money, so I don't want it. I'd rather get myself hooked up with another job. I've often had the new job before quitting the other one.
Well, that's your right... but don't fault people who use it as intended, especially those who were laid off from high-paying jobs. I never expected to lose a CITY job (usually quite secure), and have no chance of making rent without UI. Around here you can't even find a "cheap" place to live, and if you do it'll cost $2000-4000 just to get moved in. Plus getting another job of ANY kind can take months, and then you have to wait 3-4 weeks for the first paycheck.

So what are we supposed to do in the meantime? It's called insurance for a reason, and I personally do feel it's a legitimate thing to collect - when you lose a job through no fault of your own, which is the only way you qualify. Sounds like you've mostly quit jobs, and wouldn't have been eligible for unemployment anyway. Anyhoo, we each have our own situations to deal with, and I don't degrade you for the choices you've made... so kindly show some respect to people who've made different decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.