Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,024,021 times

Advertisements

Heard on the radio that they changed the way they calculate unemployment figures in 1994 during the Clinton administration. Apparently, those who have stopped looking for work are not counted in the 9.6%. How can this be? And how can you live without work? Are the other nearly 8% all on welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,676,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Heard on the radio that they changed the way they calculate unemployment figures in 1994 during the Clinton administration. Apparently, those who have stopped looking for work are not counted in the 9.6%. How can this be? And how can you live without work? Are the other nearly 8% all on welfare?
Stay at home parents, just retired, went to college etc..............

Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,058 times
I still can't figure out how they count someone who isn't looking for work HOW DO THEY KNOW I'm out of benefits but still looking HOW DO THEY KNOW I'M LOOKING

Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,387,469 times
It could be people living on savings, stay at home parents, etc.

I doesn't surprise me though, since there is no single definition of unemployment. If the US federal government only uses those claiming benefits, then I can understand that unemployment is higher.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,024,021 times
It should be easy enough to include those on the welfare roll, but not so easy figuring out how many are living off savings or living off relatives who can support them.
It's got to be higher than 10% in CA where I live. That much I know, and the 12+% they cite isn't doing the real number justice either out here.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:27 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,426,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The official American 9.6% rate is based on the international (ILO or U3) way of calculating unemployment figures. Countries in Europe use the same definition to calculate their official unemployment rates. It's a myth that somehow the US way of calculating unemployment is different from other countries, and that we're undercalculating. Spain has a 20% official unemployment rate using the exact definition that gets us 9.6%. The Spanish underemployment rate is thus even higher than 20%.

This is the official ILO (U3) definition: Unemployed workers are those over 15 years of age who are currently not working but are willing and able to work for pay, currently available to work, and have actively searched for work

The larger 17.1% number for the U.S. is the underemployment rate (U6), which includes discouraged job seekers as well as part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment