Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather work in a union or non-union shop?
union 21 55.26%
non-union 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,685,291 times

Advertisements

A lot of the things people take for granted today were paid for by the blood of the early labor organizers. How would you like to be paid in scrip redeemable only at the company store or to pay the rent on your company-owned shack?

I've never worked a union job, but I enjoy many things that those brave guys fought for so many years ago.

For instance, today, it's Sunday and I don't have to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,512,778 times
I agree what was said earlier, certain jobs don't need to to be union. A girl I know that work at Fred Meyer grocery store in Washington state, makes over 20 bucks an hour sitting behind a register. That is a little bit out of line.However, jobs that require a lot of responsibility such as safety for others defiantly needs to be union jobs. Nurses, pilots, miners, police officers, airline dispatchers ,construction workers. You name it.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 AM

782 posts, read 3,791,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Unions artificially inflate wages...I voted non-union.

People should be paid what the market says they are worth.
We are paid what the market says we are worth. What union wages are inflated? Examples please.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM

782 posts, read 3,791,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I agree what was said earlier, certain jobs don't need to to be union. A girl I know that work at Fred Meyer grocery store in Washington state, makes over 20 bucks an hour sitting behind a register. That is a little bit out of line.However, jobs that require a lot of responsibility such as safety for others defiantly needs to be union jobs. Nurses, pilots, miners, police officers, airline dispatchers ,construction workers. You name it.
What does the competition grocery store pays for that position? What is here job title?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,430,216 times
Quote:

And they are. While others are paid according to an agreed upon contract.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
What does the competition grocery store pays for that position? What is here job title?
I also worked as a cashier in WA state. At Macys. I made 13.55 an hour and we were also Union. The retailers that were non union made around 10 dollars an hour. I don't know how in hell she is making over 20 bucks an hour, it is not the norm, even for a union retail job. She might be an extreme example but Union jobs defiantly pay better.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,685,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Depends on the job. For an office job or some menial job, I couldn't be bothered with a union. For jobs that involve a certain threshold of danger such as mining and heavy manufacturing, it's good for the workers to have someone covering their backs to make sure safety measures are being followed and to step in and take the heat off of workers if they walk out when safety is being compromised.

There are certain public-sector jobs where having a union between you and political battles can come in handy. As much as I hate teachers unions, I sure as hell wouldn't want to teach in a non-union school. I wouldn't want to be a cop without a union either.

I think it's more important that menial workers are organized...highly skilled people already have inate protections....they're harder to replace. But it's those menial unions that on their way out.

As for public-sector unions...they don't exist here in Virginia. School employees have an "association" that we can (voluntarily) join. They basically just lobby for us, they have zero power over pay, etc. But they are still invaluable...they have an excellent team of lawyers on retainer who vigorously defend us against crazy accusations by nutty parents/kids. Well worth the $14 a month cost....plus included in the dues is a $1M professional liabilty policy.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,725 times
Default Union or non-union

Quote:

I agree! Unions cause mediocrity in the work force. Ask anyone who has union workers working around them. Also, unions force non-union jobs to pay the 'prevailing wage'. This situation makes construction jobs cost more than they should, and it keeps some companies from bidding on the jobs. Where I live there is one electrical contractor who owns a union shop. Most of his workers have been laid off because the people who are building are calling non-union workers to do the work. I would think that a wage that is a bit lower than a union wage would be better than no wage at all. Yet, most dyed in the wool union workers can't see it. But this winter when they have to pay the heating bill, they can feel it.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 11-07-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,725 times
Default Union or non-union

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
A lot of the things people take for granted today were paid for by the blood of the early labor organizers. How would you like to be paid in scrip redeemable only at the company store or to pay the rent on your company-owned shack?

I've never worked a union job, but I enjoy many things that those brave guys fought for so many years ago.

For instance, today, it's Sunday and I don't have to work!
Yes, and another thing about unions, they can force companies to pay such high benefits to retirees that the company folds. or has to be bailed out by a corrupt government. Look at GM.

Another case in point: UPS shipping rates are many time what the Post Office charges. I remember UPS workers striking a few years back. One of my good friends was off work for weeks. When the dispute was settled and he went back to work for higher wages, I did the math, and found he would have to work for over five years to make up for the money he lost while off work.

When unions force an employers profit to drop too low to stay in business, the employer has an option, move off shore or go out of business. Many times that is what they do. Those jobs are lost forever and it is caused by government regulations and unions. No product is worth more than what people will pay for it, so if a union forces the cost of a product to be too high, you can't sell it or have trouble selling it.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 11-07-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,721,236 times
This Poll sponsored by REPULICORP

You can work for less and have no benefits then you can compete with North Korean Slave Labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment