Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM

72 posts, read 368,893 times

Advertisements

I graduate in may 09. I had few jobs including censure and a recent contract job. I've been searching work after my contract ended last month ago but no luck. "Every" single day my parents tell me to go to "work". They tell me to get any single job. The problem is that I want to get started with my career and I don't want just any job but I have no idea what to do now.
I'm 25 and seems like I'm lost and my parents keep on bitching me every single day about "me having no work". What can I do ? I think I'm going to go crazy soon. Please somebody hire me. I can't even sleep in the morning. They lecture every single minute when I'm home.
I do look for work on career builder, craigslist and other places. It's not like I sit home and do no ****. They tell me to go back to school and get another freaking degree when I graduated from college last year. WTH..!!
I'M PISSED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM

379 posts, read 1,402,087 times
If it is any consolation, you're not the only person dealing with parental issues. I am a bit curious though, what course did you pursue?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM

72 posts, read 368,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
If it is any consolation, you're not the only person dealing with parental issues. I am a bit curious though, what course did you pursue?
Finance and IT.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh and as far as getting just any job goes, I can understand why they would want you to get just any job, to them it looks like you're "doing something". But let's be realistic, there aren't "just any jobs" to be had these days.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
Finance and IT.

Ok... So you want a job in the field that you studied, that's fine. But are you setting the bar up too high and not willing to take the entry level positions in those fields?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM

318 posts, read 871,370 times
Quote:
Ok... So you want a job in the field that you studied, that's fine. But are you setting the bar up too high and not willing to take the entry level positions in those fields?
I second that. Better to aim too low then shoot too high. At least, that's my outlook.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM

470 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Entry level positions are going to the lowest common denominator right now. Employers don't want anyone with any kind of drive or ambition for those jobs. Just by obtaining a degree you showed some gumption. They want someone that will work for a $1 over minimum wage for the next 5 years if necessary. Not someone that could leave them in five weeks for greener pastures if the opportunity arises.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
I graduate in may 09. I had few jobs including censure and a recent contract job. I've been searching work after my contract ended last month ago but no luck. "Every" single day my parents tell me to go to "work". They tell me to get any single job. The problem is that I want to get started with my career and I don't want just any job but I have no idea what to do now.
I'm 25 and seems like I'm lost and my parents keep on bitching me every single day about "me having no work". What can I do ? I think I'm going to go crazy soon. Please somebody hire me. I can't even sleep in the morning. They lecture every single minute when I'm home.
I do look for work on career builder, craigslist and other places. It's not like I sit home and do no ****. They tell me to go back to school and get another freaking degree when I graduated from college last year. WTH..!!
I'M PISSED.
OMG, I'm so sorry but if this post was truly written by a college graduate, we're all in a lot of trouble.

I'm almost afraid to ask what your major was. *sigh*

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM

470 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
OMG, I'm so sorry but if this post was truly written by a college graduate, we're all in a lot of trouble.

I'm almost afraid to ask what your major was. *sigh*

20yrsinBranson
They already posted above, Finance and IT.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Entry level positions are going to the lowest common denominator right now. Employers don't want anyone with any kind of drive or ambition for those jobs. Just by obtaining a degree you showed some gumption. They want someone that will work for a $1 over minimum wage for the next 5 years if necessary. Not someone that could leave them in five weeks for greener pastures if the opportunity arises.
Somehow not all companies got this memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment