Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 02:24 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times

Advertisements

I have one daily client with two dogs that I just got for my brand new dog walking business What are great ways to get new clients...I'm brainstorming, but, I'm sure there ideas I have not come up with et
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Do you have fliers at all of the pet stores, vet offices, and groomers?

Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Not yet, but, I'm going to!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Not yet, but, I'm going to!
Offer pet care as well, if you can. With the holidays coming up, people will be traveling from home. If you can offer a service where you to to someone's home, feed and exercise their pets, you might get some clients. You might also post on Craigslist but be aware that you may get some scammy responses; just ignore them if you do.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Throw in general house care, people go away they want their plants watered, flyers removed from door, etc. and is good to have single source entering your home.

There are also lots of pets on medications, on whatever literature you are creating I'd be sure to mention that you are experienced giving medications and it is included with the service.

If people are away you might send them occasional updates via email and maybe even a picture of their pet. We had a pet sitter do that while we were traveling for two weeks and it was always great to get those emails. It will certainly win you repeat customers.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:43 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Also contact all the dog clubs - kennel clubs, breed clubs, training clubs.

Many of the competition folks have multiple dogs and when they go out of town for a show they are always looking for pet sitters.

I live rural so I don't know too much about dog sitting, but my horse trainer (when I had horses) also did farm sitting that included dogs and other critters.

I'd also ask if your current clients would be willing to let you have them give a short statement on how satisfied they are and use their name, their pets name and breed.

Good luck and congrats, If I didn't live so far out and be in direct competition with the above horse trainer who is also my friend and neighbor I'd consider it too.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
That, and add dog parks to the list... I work for a local pet-sitting company, and we put up fliers at all the big dog parks. Also helps to offer overnight sitting, house care, referral discounts (i.e. refer a friend, get 20% off), and care for pets other than dogs & cats.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:24 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
What are great ways to get new clients...I'm brainstorming, but, I'm sure there ideas I have not come up with et
Go to dog runs, vet clinic, hang up flyers, join pet groups on meetup.com , etc.

Oh and just because I ragged on you in the past about your GSD growling at the tiara, it doesn't mean he is any less adorable.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I agree with the others: you have to offer above and beyond just walking the animals.

Do you know basic animal first aid? Do you know how to administer pet meds? In my neighborhood, teens are doing the basic dogwalking. The families that hire professional walkers are hiring vet techs who can help with, say, a dog recovering from minor surgery. Things like that. My neighbor has an older dog who is prone to seizures and she pays a vet tech quite well just to check on her pooch a few times a day. She's willing to pay b/c apparently the vet tech knows doggie CPR/First AID (whatever that might be called?)

COuld you also offer doggie grooming/basic bathing/nail trimming?

Do you know how to train animals? I am amazed at the people I know who pay lots of $ to take their pups to doggie kindergarten. Heck, you could even offer doggie socialization.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Oh, and are you bonded and/or insured? My company offers something like $100K in insurance, which makes our clients feel very secure in hiring us. Having insurance and bonded employees is a big selling point, since it protects both the clients and employees... if we get bitten/hurt they can't be sued, and if we steal or damage something it's covered up to $100K (or whatever the amount is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment