Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Job Should Scott Take?
Car Salesman 5 35.71%
Mobile Home Inspector 8 57.14%
Neither, keep looking 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

I have an old friend and, as hard as it is to believe in this economy, he has 2 offers:

Job 1- Car Salesman. It is mostly a comissioned job and he has no experience in car sales. They told him he would start out selling USED cars and that eventually, when he builds a track record, he will move to NEW cars and can make up to 6 figures a year.

Job 2- Mobile Home Inspector. Told me it is a more steady job and pays a regular salary of about $35K and can go to a high of $40K but it is a steady income. He does have experience as a handyman with carpentry and such but will have to be trained for this job.

Which one do you think he should take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,573 times
I will have to say the mobile home inspector. I know a friend who did car sales without any prior sales experience and the whole ordeal chewed up him and spit him out. The reality is most people are not cut out to be salesman, especially of big ticket items like cars and fail badly at it; not an indictment on your friend just the cold hard reality. If he had sales experience, then maybe go for the used car lot, but in this economy and everything else being equal go for the steady paycheck at something you have experience at.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Car sales, he if thinks he can sell. Six figures is obtainable, but realistically, he'll make 1/2 that in his first year. If he is "lazy"*, then not a good idea.

Also, to sell cars, you really need to work a lot, he'll need to be prepared for that.

*I don't mean lazy as a negative - but he'd really have to work for what he earns.

Edit: i should say, keep looking is also a good option, car sales is very high turnover, there is nothing to say that he can't keep looking, with either job he chooses.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
The people who are BEST at car sales, especially NEW vehicles, are the types that already have a large and extensive network, not to mention the sales skills and personality to go with it.

Unless your friend has those I think he'd be better off looking into the Home Inspector. Even with the bubble still bursting, even homes in foreclosures and short sales are still being sold and they ALL need an inspection report.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Is the mobile home inspector for new inspections at the factory or field inspectors on new installs, or isit inspecting mobile homes that people are buying that already are located someplace. The factory/new installs are good jobs, but are closely regulated and monitored. Mostly its making sure the machines and people have done what the job order calls for in the factory and those assembling it for first use at the home site followed manufactures specs for the installation. The existing used market inspectors could be nothing but telling a person its in good shape (like a home insopector).

Car sales, ewell we all know what people think of car salepeople and seldom are the same ones there for too long. I read a story about one who was top for years but on one sale they thought he was to quick to agree on a low price for the dealer and they let him go.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Is the mobile home inspector for new inspections at the factory or field inspectors on new installs, or isit inspecting mobile homes that people are buying that already are located someplace. The factory/new installs are good jobs, but are closely regulated and monitored. Mostly its making sure the machines and people have done what the job order calls for in the factory and those assembling it for first use at the home site followed manufactures specs for the installation. The existing used market inspectors could be nothing but telling a person its in good shape (like a home insopector).

Car sales, ewell we all know what people think of car salepeople and seldom are the same ones there for too long. I read a story about one who was top for years but on one sale they thought he was to quick to agree on a low price for the dealer and they let him go.
It is a job with the county he lives in. The county licenses all mobile homes and issues permits for them. When a mobile home is placed, he would be the one that would inspect it for things in the county code- like tie downs, plumbing hook up, skirting- everything but electrical he said (the county electrical inspector does that he said). Once his inspection is done and the mobile home passes, it is given an occupancy permit by the county. He told me that he is leaning towards taking this job because it is a steady cheque.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Ahhh, I misunderstood. In that case he should DEFINTELY go for the mobile homes Inspection position.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Ahhh, I misunderstood. In that case he should DEFINTELY go for the mobile homes Inspection position.

x2. If the job is with the county, there us only one choice here.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Its a no brainer. MH inspector.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Without a doubt car salesman. If you have a job where you can control your salary and have the potential at 6 figures, why would you ever turn that down for a job that maxes out at 40k? Take the car salesman job, work like hell for a few years and make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment