Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 119,325 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, there was a local posting here by some distribution company. The posting said they will interview on one specific day.

There were like ten people that were hired that day, myself included. No experience required. Basically, they said the job pays $400 a week if all you do is complete a certain amount of vacuum demos to potential customers per week. Then you get good commission if you sell one.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing or knows someone that did this. This is basically a 1099 job, so I'm considered a contractor and not their company employee.

It just seems all too easy, so I am being a bit skeptical. The training is like 3 days and off you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Ever tried to weasel your way into someone's home to sell them a $2,000 vacuum? The make great vacuums. I have my parents' old Kirby that's god knows how old (at least 30 years) because the drive system went out on it and it was cheaper to buy a Dyson than fix it. If high-pressure cold calling is for you, should be okay. I couldn't do it, not a salesman. I'd also never spend $2,000 on a vacuum, helps to believe in what you're selling, I guess.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
The catch being, "if you complete a certain amount of vacuum demos ... per week." Ask how much you'll make if you don't make X amount of demos per week.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The catch being, "if you complete a certain amount of vacuum demos ... per week." Ask how much you'll make if you don't make X amount of demos per week.
yea and something tells me they're not going to give you leads, either

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
The OP should try asking the millions of Kirby salesmen who thought they could make a living and applied and shortly after quit.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 119,325 times
I know Kirby is great. My parents have one since 2001. But this company is not related to Kirby. It's just a distributor.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yea and something tells me they're not going to give you leads, either
I'll bet they expect you to "hit up" every relative or friend you know.

( not referring to...you...when I use the word "you )

Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Unless you are a shady kind of person that has no morals about scamming and ripping people I think this is going to be pure hell.

I should know. I have a couple times taken jobs like this in between looking for real jobs and then quit within a month.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabanstva View Post
Hey guys, there was a local posting here by some distribution company. The posting said they will interview on one specific day.

There were like ten people that were hired that day, myself included. No experience required. Basically, they said the job pays $400 a week if all you do is complete a certain amount of vacuum demos to potential customers per week. Then you get good commission if you sell one.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing or knows someone that did this. This is basically a 1099 job, so I'm considered a contractor and not their company employee.

It just seems all too easy, so I am being a bit skeptical. The training is like 3 days and off you go.
for a very small percentage of people you can make really good money selling these vaccuumes. thse people are natural sales people. you probably have a friend of family member who everybody likes, they just have a way with people, people like to be around them, etc just something special about them, very social people, etc.

this type of person can do exceptionally well selling these vacuums.

99% of people however dont make sales and burn out after a few weeks or months. its a tough job, your hearing no all day long, your kind of required to hit up all your family and friends.

ive had a few friends who did this and none lasted more than a few days or weeks at the most.

also i would be very skeptical of $400 a week. i think there's probably conditions to it and even if it is on the up and up they what it basically is is a draw. a draw is basically a salary for someone in sales starting out, training, learning, building clientelle. you get it for a short period of time so you have money to live on but if your not producing sales they are not going to continue paying you $400 a week just to go to appointments.

i imagine appointments are harder to get than you expect since how many people really want to listen to a 30 minute sales pitch. some people will use you to get a free carpet cleaning with no intention of buying.

also the vaccums actually cost about $1200 or maybe $1400 but you try to charge like 2k, you hvae wiggle room to come down but it means less commission for you.

i think this sales has gotten harder since there's now better vaccuumes on the market than in years past. now you have the dysons and other fancy vacuums as well. also if you read consumer reviews many of the $150 hoover models actually surpass some of the really expensive vacuums in both performance and value

Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
I let a Kirby vacuum salesman in my home. He offered to clean 1 room to prove how good the vacuum was. My mother-in-law owned one that she never used; I had no intention of buying one especially since I myself did not have a job. This guy was offering any financing he could just to sell one but I wouldn't have been able to make the payments and I told him that. Most people can't afford $2k vacuums and those that can know better. Sure it does a lot and has all those attachments but in today's economy I suspect you will have a very hard time trying to make a living. Oh yeah, I got my carpet cleaned!

That $400/wk sounds fishy to say the least!

What's the weather like right now where you are? Over 100 degrees? Do you really want to be running a door-to-door business in that heat? I wouldn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment