Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,645,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siccished View Post
I didnt expect to read some of the feedback I got, but i'll offer a little more insight to my post. My original thought was that usually most positions are filled internally through hiring back layed-off workers or through referrals of internal employees. My target audience would have been an internal employee who would see the benefit of giving somebody who would KILL for job to gain specific skills and of course some compensation for listening to somebody goals and putting in a recommendation for them.

This would work for a private smaller company.
Positions im interested in: Air quality engineer/tech, environmental scientist/tech, Environmental lab technologist, Industrial hygienist or basically anything environmental related.

I'm basically ready to move to a handful of states to start working in one of the above fields. Theres always hurdles to any goals, and you can imagine that in this economy they are that much greater during these times. I know people that have paid 100k+ for a job (an education), so why is it so wrong for me to kick back some cash to get my foot in the door? Once im in I always do well anyhow, but the hardest part is getting in.

Not sure if i will get any advice out of this, but worth a shot....
I will look into the alumni list, but one day I actuallly searched facebook/myspace for people that graduated with similar degrees and I noticed that 70% of the people were NOT working in a field relevant to their education.
Not to sound even more harsh, but first of all at my company and in my industry, I would be fired probably for lack of ethics and bribery to accept 2k to try and help you get a foot in the door in my company.

Even if I were remotely "interested" in getting 2k for some help to someone, I would never do it. I refer people VERY rarely for jobs. This is due to the fact that it is MY name on the line for a job. I have referred about 4 people in my present company for jobs-- and those people I was more than confident could perform in their jobs, etc. I would never refer a casual acquaintance or even a friend who doesn't have a certain work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,020,670 times
Quote:
I didnt expect to read some of the feedback I got, but i'll offer a little more insight to my post. My original thought was that usually most positions are filled internally through hiring back layed-off workers or through referrals of internal employees. My target audience would have been an internal employee who would see the benefit of giving somebody who would KILL for job to gain specific skills and of course some compensation for listening to somebody goals and putting in a recommendation for them.
If getting an internal recommendation is your goal I would not try to buy it. If you find someone who does not know you but will put in a recommendation for you for 2 grand, chances are all you will end up with is 2 grand less in your pocket. When someone puts in a recommendation, they are also putting their reputation on the line. The job I have, for the most part, can only be gotten with an internal recommendation. I spent the better part of a year making a good impression on one of the company's employees and proving I could do the job before I asked him to submit my resume.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,280,323 times
50k. Just be glad you have a job.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM

156 posts, read 313,833 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a job in a particular type of field and i need some advice.
I graduated in 2007, worked in a field for 2 years, was unemployed for a year and now currently working in a totally UNRELATED field.

I've had a handful of interviews for government/contractor work, but have never made the cut since i was trying to use my previous work as a stepping stone into a new field while competing with seasoned people didnt work out too well. I've spent about $2k trying to get jobs..

I'm willing to pay $2k for a job in a specific field.
How the heck can i make this connection? Posting on craigslist or some other popular job board? Is this even possible? Paying for a job makes the most sense nowadays, especially for somebody young who is damn eager to get the ball rolling. The way I look at it, i'm more than willing to work for free in order to secure a job, so the initial investment doesnt mean nothing. Currently making 50k and would be willing to even take a pay cut...

:-)
Suggestions/advice??
What's your field?

$2k plus a referal fee ain't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment