Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,861 times

Advertisements

is it legal for an employer to demand that you endanger your life to get to work during a snow storm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint beaty View Post
is it legal for an employer to demand that you endanger your life to get to work during a snow storm
Your job is to be at work. If you feel its unsafe to drive it is up to you to find alternate methods of transportation.

You employer can't make you do anything.

Most employers understand when this happens in areas where they don't get much snow. However if you live in an area that receives snow a lot you are expected to be at work.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Yes, it's legal for he company to expect you to get to work. Driving safely is your responsibility.

Even in a state of emergency when Governors prohibit people from driving unnecessarily, employers can designate you as "essential personnel" and you can drive in a state of emergency and just show your employee ID with "essential personnel" if you get pulled over.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Unless there's a governmental curfew in effect, neither rain, sleet or snow gives you leeway to not show up arbitrarily. As TracySam says, if you're an "essential" employee you're expected to be on site for your shift and will be given both a pass and offered transportation if your vehicle and/or location don't enable you to safely travel under your own steam.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Yep;many workers here are required to show during hurricanes. As far as snow its expected that you showup but employer can make allowances. But if your the only one that doesn't show then it better be good.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,593,286 times
This doesn't speak to the legalities, just an experience...

Years ago I worked at a company where the majority of us lived anywhere from 10-30 miles away (I lived appx 20 miles away). I drove to and from work in many snowstorms, as did pretty much everyone else. Except this one guy who lived right in town - he always said he couldn't make it in. Of course we all knew him pretty well and this was just an excuse to stay home. This went on for awhile until the Supervisor finally offered to pick him up for work and bring him home later. The guy hemmed and hawed and used the "I'm not going to die for this place" excuse, but from that point on - he showed up when it was snowing! The Supervisor made a good point - driving is a risk any time you get in a vehicle... either find a way to get here, or find another job.

I don't like driving in winter weather either, but if it was affecting my ability to be responsible and show up for my job - I'd have to find a job closer or ride with someone else.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,046 times
If you're essential personnel then yes they can demand that you show up for work. However, you have to decide whether or not it's worth your life. Frankly, if you really feel uncomfortable driving then you could ask to ride with someone else or stay home. Some employers do make allowances if enough employees stay home due to the weather. Granted, those allowances do have the potential for abuse by the employees, but it's better in some cases to allow them a day off rather than fire a bunch of them and deal with the headache of training a new batch of employees. However, it depends on your personal boss. Some bosses will gladly fire people at the drop of a hat.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 PM

18 posts, read 39,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint beaty View Post
I am not sure about the legalities, but I would contact the Dept of Labor and see what their their website indicates or you can email them. I personally do not believe in endangering my life or anyone elses when it comes to snow storms, hurricanes, etc. As we have all seen, the accidents, injuries and deaths that can and do occur. It is worth it?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
It's your job to be at work. I was classified as essential for years. In bad weather, we were expected to show up. How was up to us. Sometimes we would get hotel rooms or stay with people who lived close to work. There is almost always a solution to the problem. Sometimes we would just stay at work.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times
I deliver groceries in a big truck. If the roads are open, we're rolling. Maybe I don't make very good time or money, but I get to work then get the load to the store.

Maybe if the media would stop telling people to run to the store and buy everything on the shelves because a storm's coming, I wouldn't have to get out in bad weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment