Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times

Advertisements

On a personal level, I feel that over the last 8 years that I've been working, I feel that my phone either rings off the hook, or stays dead.
One week, or month, I would be called in consistently asking to cover for this person, or "plenty of freight right now."
Then there would be a period where my work hours, or in the case of right now, miles, would either remain stagnant or plummet to mediocre levels.

So in light of this, is the straight-40hr work week quickly becoming a thing of the past, regardless of what shift you prefer to work?

Seems with professions like nursing and law-enforcement, the norm seems to be 10-12hr+ days and usually 3-5 of them a week.

On the subject of nursing, the only reason I see any shortage there is due to people going into it with high expectations, facing reality, then quitting and adding to the turnover rate after paying off school.

As for myself right now, I've actually been running smoothly between SoCal and Colorado/Wyoming, averaging between 2000-3000miles/week.
Many of the old-farts I see still sitting behind the wheel of their long-nose Peterbilts tell me it's nothing but chump-change to them, "the good days are gone!!"
I tell them "The 60s/70s are over grandpa, make due with what you get."
With regional distribution and rail taking the weight off the long-haul, regional-dedicated lanes are appearing to be the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Cool A little confusing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
On a personal level, I feel that over the last 8 years that I've been working, I feel that my phone either rings off the hook, or stays dead.
One week, or month, I would be called in consistently asking to cover for this person, or "plenty of freight right now."
Then there would be a period where my work hours, or in the case of right now, miles, would either remain stagnant or plummet to mediocre levels.

So in light of this, is the straight-40hr work week quickly becoming a thing of the past, regardless of what shift you prefer to work?

Seems with professions like nursing and law-enforcement, the norm seems to be 10-12hr+ days and usually 3-5 of them a week.

On the subject of nursing, the only reason I see any shortage there is due to people going into it with high expectations, facing reality, then quitting and adding to the turnover rate after paying off school.

As for myself right now, I've actually been running smoothly between SoCal and Colorado/Wyoming, averaging between 2000-3000miles/week.
Many of the old-farts I see still sitting behind the wheel of their long-nose Peterbilts tell me it's nothing but chump-change to them, "the good days are gone!!"
I tell them "The 60s/70s are over grandpa, make due with what you get."
With regional distribution and rail taking the weight off the long-haul, regional-dedicated lanes are appearing to be the norm.
I am a little confused about this as well. I work for a major medical center and it appears they are happy paying major over time to a hand full of employees rather than employe the needed bodies. It seems so counter productive to me. But, then again...Corporate thinking confuses me anyway.
Koale

Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I am a little confused about this as well. I work for a major medical center and it appears they are happy paying major over time to a hand full of employees rather than employe the needed bodies. It seems so counter productive to me. But, then again...Corporate thinking confuses me anyway.
Koale
Especially in medical professions where being over-worked could usually lead to sloppiness.
Extra pay is always good, but sleep and having a life will make you feel less dead.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Right now I miss the good old days when there was plenty of work. Not sure I'd want to go over 60 hours a week though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment