Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 AM

162 posts, read 886,316 times

Advertisements

When doing a voluntary layoff, are protected classes still considered? And are they considered on a department or company wide basis?

I put in for volunatry layoff, I am the only one in my dept under 40 and am not a minority race. All of the minority raced people in my dept have put in for this too. Not everyone will be selected. I am trying to figure out my chances of acutally getting this (4 more weeks until a decision is made) I know that my dept will be shut down in the next 3 months. Will they let us all go, or do I have a good chance since I am not protected under any laws?

I meet the criteria for the layoff and based only on the criteria they gave me, I would be the #3 pick...that is if protected classes don't matter with voluntary. Also, my company is very into not getting sued and go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

What are my chances? I really want to start my new career and would love to do it with some money in the bank!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,483,552 times
Has the company requested that you take a voluntary layoff or are they calling it voluntary separation? If so, are they offering some kind of compensation package? Generally, if you are asked, and then accept, you will get a better compensation than if you wait for them to lay you off.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Has the company requested that you take a voluntary layoff or are they calling it voluntary separation? If so, are they offering some kind of compensation package? Generally, if you are asked, and then accept, you will get a better compensation than if you wait for them to lay you off.
They offered this to anyone that "may" be affected by layoffs in the next 6 months. Of the people it was offered to, only 55% will actually get the layoff. (Voluntary seperation) Yes, they are offering a severance package that is almost double the normal. We had to apply for this, (which I did) and then wait 4 weeks to get an email on whether we were accepted to take the deal, or if they are denying us. Basically, just because we were offered the deal, doesn't mean we get it. I want to know what my chances are of beating out the competition to get this because I am beyond ready to go. Of the 20 in my department, 12 have applied (including me) I am the only one in my department that applied that is under the age of 40, and I'm white.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,131,933 times
When my daughter was laid off from a large (unnamed) bank, she was in the first batch to go. It was not voluntary, but she got a great package. The next round got much less, and subsequent rounds even less. Hope you get it.

Discrimination is unlawful in hiring and layoffs, for protected classes, which only means that race, age and so on cannot be used in determining who gets
laid off. I would think that this particular program will be done in a manner that allows the remaining staff to handle the work, in other words, key people
will be kept for as long as possible, even if they request the package.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
When my daughter was laid off from a large (unnamed) bank, she was in the first batch to go. It was not voluntary, but she got a great package. The next round got much less, and subsequent rounds even less. Hope you get it.

Discrimination is unlawful in hiring and layoffs, for protected classes, which only means that race, age and so on cannot be used in determining who gets
laid off. I would think that this particular program will be done in a manner that allows the remaining staff to handle the work, in other words, key people
will be kept for as long as possible, even if they request the package.
They have already cut down the supplies, and some key team members have left or are leaving for new jobs within the company and "won't be replaced". In other words, my dept is gone. My biggest fear is being the one that was left behind. That's never a good place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment