Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 PM

763 posts, read 2,607,679 times

Advertisements

Never, ever trust a co-worker. They'll be the first one to throw you under the bus to save their own skin. I don't care how good of a friend they seem to be, when push comes to shove, they'll save their own job and paycheck before going out on a limb for you and if you think about it, you'd probably do the same thing. Anybody would. Nobody would risk their own job to save the job of a co-worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,142,103 times
Its important to remember in the average workplace many co-workers while they might outwardly appear like rational sensible adults, and even act like adults in public - are usually very silly, pathetic, immature, childish people inside. Even people older than you in their 40s/50s who act like pathetic little children most of time.

If you just have that in mind your dealing children most of the time, then it helps you keep your sanity.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,853,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Its important to remember in the average workplace many co-workers while they might outwardly appear like rational sensible adults, and even act like adults in public - are usually very silly, pathetic, immature, childish people inside. Even people older than you in their 40s/50s who act like pathetic little children most of time.

If you just have that in mind your dealing children most of the time, then it helps you keep your sanity.
Toddlers is more like it.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM

37 posts, read 80,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Never, ever trust a co-worker. They'll be the first one to throw you under the bus to save their own skin. I don't care how good of a friend they seem to be, when push comes to shove, they'll save their own job and paycheck before going out on a limb for you and if you think about it, you'd probably do the same thing. Anybody would. Nobody would risk their own job to save the job of a co-worker.
So true, I have a very bad habit of lowering my guard and it always back fires.

Last edited by FLBorn1978; 11-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: forgot a letter.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM

201 posts, read 491,470 times
No, you should not because in today's economy everyone wants to survive and because so many of your coworkers don't have good skills they have to survive and prosper by office politics vs results and hard work. Watch out it is dog eat dog out there!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM

10,625 posts, read 12,172,808 times
I work in a highly paid professional white collar atmosphere...
Coworkers:
-- Trust them not to steal from my purse or money -- yes. Wouldn't even give that a thought.
-- Trust them to do their job fairly competently and conscientiously -- yes. Once you get to this level it's clear you can do the job.
(However morale is so bad, no one is REALLY busting butt anymore. Some are more conscientious than others, but many are marking time, me included. Being adequate is enough, why do any more.)

-- Trust them not to figuratively stab me in the back or undermine me. Some no. Some I'd be surprised.

First I NEVER trust a manager or shift supervisor. That's just a given.
(Of course you chit chat and schmooze, but never forget, they're a manager)

As for co-workers on my same level -- those of us on this board with any kind of work experience know -- there are some people who would throw you under the bus at ANY opportunity. Those folks you just have as little to do with as possible, and when you do -- make sure your work as correct as possible.

My co-workers can trust me and I trust them for the most part -- UNLESS it comes down to them or me -- or me or them. If it's a case of. "Look, this was screwed up, and we can't keep is a secret. or if it's a screw up manager needs to be told about," well then -- as an adult you know that's the case. For the most part we cover for each other (other than the ones you KNOW you can't trust) -- but sometimes people screw up, just tell the manager, what happens happens, you move on. Most of us NEVER involve a manager about screw ups unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Now of course HOW you tell the manager, the words you choose let's you know whether it's just something that had to be done -- vs. volunteering EXTRA info and throwing you under the bus WHILE they do it.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM

13,667 posts, read 10,062,391 times
No, and I don't trust employers either, especially when they employ lowlife criminals to work with me.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
Noone in the workforce has even given me any reason to trust them. I do my part and go home. I know who my bosses are and everyone else who tries to talk down to me and order me around can kiss my hairy ass. I do not trust my company to have my back. I've been working this job for well over a year and have never missed a single day yet others have been written up and nearly fired yet they get first dibs at better opportunities it makes me sick

Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,746,372 times
For a good chunk of blue-collar professions, and for the vast majority of white-collar ones I would say absolutly not. Despite what your supervisor or employer might say or preach in regards to corporate values, leadership, team-work, and personal accountability, they will be the very first to throw you under the bus if something falls through. For example, if your employer cannot afford to keep you, he or she certainly will not extend you a 2-week courtsey notice. You should respect your co-workers at work, but once the day is done - everyone should go their own seperate way. Let's just say that I trust my co-workers with a fine grain of salt. I never try to say too much or get involved with office politics.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,170,078 times
absolutely not.

last time i recall trusting my coworkers they were called shipmates and they brought me back to the ship after i got falling down drunk in town and last i remember was laying down between some cars in a small parking lot and next thing i remember was waking up in my rack on the ship the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment