Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 AM

91 posts, read 674,701 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions.

1) In the last paragraph of my cover letter, can I write something about how I will send an email within the next few days to ensure my resume has been received?

The reason I want to use that sentence is because I'm sending everything via fax and I've never used a fax machine before. So I want to make sure everything goes through and doesn't end up being garbled.

2) Can I just write something about how I would like to get together at your convenience to discuss the position? Or should I say that I'll email them to discuss the position? I'm seeing a lot of contradicting things about this.

3) I know my potential employer and we talked on the phone a about a month ago. He asked for my email address and the only one I had was one that has a cutesy screen name in it. The screen name also happens to have a word that some people may feel is inappropriate, depending on how much of a prude they are. I didn't even realize that word was in my email address when I created it.

When I send my cover letter, should I continue to use that email address since the potential employer already has it? I assume he will be the one looking at all the applications. Or should I create and use a more professional email address? I don't want to seem like some flake for using a different email address since the guy is going to notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 AM

68 posts, read 206,076 times
Definitely create and start using a new email address. The ones that work and look nice are firstname.lastname@emailcompany.com.

Why are you faxing in the cover letter and resume? Why not email instead?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
I didn't even realize that word was in my email address when I created it.

I would create a new email address for professional communication asap. SxxxyChik69 is not likely to give you the kinds of job leads you seek.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Create a new email address. I have several email addresses. One is for job hunting. It is my first initial and last name@...

As a hiring manager I can tell you that your email address can make a difference. It is along the lines of having typos in your resume. It can show your potential employer that you are professional and have attention to detail, or it can tell them that you don't care (or possibly didn't notice the unprofessionalism). I can tell you of several people that didn't even get called for interviews because of email addresses. Examples of what I have seen: lateforwork365@, slacker69@, sexxybiotch@, kissmyash@ and several others. These were all sent to me years ago and I can still remember them.

In this job market, you have to do whatever you can to get the job. If there are 2 up for the position with the exact same qualifications but one has an unprofessional email, who do you think they are going to call?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 PM

91 posts, read 674,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird2020 View Post
Why are you faxing in the cover letter and resume? Why not email instead?
There's an application form on the company's website and the instructions said to fax it. But when I fax it, is there a specific order in which I should fax the application form, resume, and cover letter? The resume and cover letter weren't requested, but I figured I'd have a better chance if I sent them. It'll make it look like I want the job more than those who didn't send one. It's an entry level job, if that matters.

For the email address, is it ok to use hotmail? I like using free email accounts, because I'm always gonna stick with them because their prices never go up.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,445 times
That's right! Even your email address should look professional as you are applying as a professional. Free email addresses are fine just make sure it is working. Lastly, do what the company ask you to do. If they ask you to fax it, then fax it. But as far as I know, faxing made even reliable to all. It is called email 2 fax (email 2 fax) - sending and receiving fax using the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment