Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
No one is bashing low wage earners. What I deride is the seeming hatred on the part of some of others for no crime other than doing well. A talented surgeon may make as little as $200,000 (and potentially much more) a year. If that surgeon believes s/he is underpaid for her/his talents s/he's got every right to complain. No one has the right to tell someone else that they're earning "enough". The only person who may rightly determine what you want to earn in life is you. Those hating others for doing better than they degrade themselves.
A very sensible post.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM

39 posts, read 151,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why do you let what other people do get to you?
Because it makes me sick that there are so many hard working, good, and much more grateful people who would jump at a chance to make a good salary like that and make the best of their lives in the process... I really do hope there is a depression actually.. So maybe all these bad people can get humbled for once. It seems the majority of the rich are evil people who can't seem to understand what really matters in life! NEWS FLASH people: money isn't everything and you can't take it with you!!! And if you think it makes you special think about this... How many rich people have lived on this earth? Millions right? Outside of celebrities can you remember any of them? Did their money make them memorable? NO!!!! The ones that are remembered are the ones that helped make people happier and helped better the world! Now THAT is a persons true legacy!!! Wake up snobs!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think if I made a fair salary in whichever field I was in (and no matter how much it was), I'd feel more devoted to my employer's success. But when you feel underpaid and ignored, you don't feel much loyalty and are typically looking for the first opportunity out.
This is a very good point and I have found it to be mostly true in places I have worked.

Of course there are always exceptions. People who are probably making way more money than they are worth still complaining and people who are clearly underpaid, yet are still very devoted.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Because it makes me sick that there are so many hard working, good, and much more grateful people who would jump at a chance to make a good salary like that and make the best of their lives in the process... I really do hope there is a depression actually.. So maybe all these bad people can get humbled for once. It seems the majority of the rich are evil people who can't seem to understand what really matters in life! NEWS FLASH people: money isn't everything and you can't take it with you!!! And if you think it makes you special think about this... How many rich people have lived on this earth? Millions right? Outside of celebrities can you remember any of them? Did their money make them memorable? NO!!!! The ones that are remembered are the ones that helped make people happier and helped better the world! Now THAT is a persons true legacy!!! Wake up snobs!
You are worse than these people by wishing harm upon them. These people aren't sitting around talking about you and wishing that you lose everything in a depression.

Don't waste your energy on other people... focus on yourself.

And remember that risk = reward. If you take the easy career path (college, entry level work, etc), your chances of high rewards are limited.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I think if I made a fair salary in whichever field I was in (and no matter how much it was), I'd feel more devoted to my employer's success. But when you feel underpaid and ignored, you don't feel much loyalty and are typically looking for the first opportunity out.
Right. But if you've spent more than 6 months there and are still "looking"... you have to ask yourself why you haven't moved on yet.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

So now the majority of rich people are evil? This thread just keeps getting better.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I'd like to know what people are doing for a living making more than 70K, and also having a social life. Most people i Know making more are in management and basically live at work. No thanks
I would say pretty much everyone I work with makes more than 70K. Most people are out of the office by 6:30 and maybe work a handful of weekends a year.

Sure there are busy times where we work longer, but that is limited to certain times of the year. Plenty of time for a social life.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

623 posts, read 1,604,050 times
Quote:
No clearly your just a greedy snob who wants to pretend like your someone "entitled" to complain, when in reality anyone making 100K or over should count their blessings because there are MILLIONS of hard working people who have been laid off, lost their homes, forced to be on government aid, and feel like crap because of how horrible their situation is... You my friend lack the understanding of real life concerns... Try going and living in some other country, let's say Mexico, and you tell me after a few years of working 12 hour days for 50 bucks if you'd be complaining about making 100K a year... You stupid moron!
HAHA this is one of the best attacks I have ever been a part of. Can anyone identify the rational thought here? I am having a hard time finding it. I don't know how me working in Mexico got into the debate.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,978,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Right. But if you've spent more than 6 months there and are still "looking"... you have to ask yourself why you haven't moved on yet.
I have not been looking very hard myself. I already admitted in another thread that I've been complacent and lazy about that. But I'm also a bit discouraged with the market as well, so that's why I haven't invested much time into it. Job hunting is stressful enough already. Job hunting and getting no responses is absolute misery.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,604,050 times
Quote:
Actually I make anywhere between 50-60K and I don't complain about anything, I have a great life and am thankful for it. Would I like to make more? Sure who wouldn't? Am I jealous of people who make more? No why should I be? What I can't stand are greedy snobs who are privileged enough to have a good job and act like spoiled brats who whine because they don't get more all the time. You must be as ignorant as them I guess!
Sooo... if your boss decided to pay you 30k instead of 50k you would smile and declare life is good. I didn't realize there was a cutoff where you were not allowed to complain about your pay.

Who's the one throwing the tantrum and acting like a child in this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.