Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
You call people making between 70 and 100 g's a year "rich?"

LOL!!

I make that much and so does my husband. We have no kids and live modestly but are ANYTHING but rich because we live in Southern California, where the cost of living is extreme. I'm not complaining about my salary or the COA. You attacking all of us making more money than you I chalk up to jealousy, nothing more, nothing less.
You're not rich, sorry.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 PM

39 posts, read 151,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's not bad pay... but it's nothing to go around bragging about. I'm a year older than you and last year I made more than 4 times of what you claim to be making off of just one of my businesses. The primary reason is because career choices I made. I chose to work for myself rather than someone else. I'm no snob about it though. I make what I'm worth. Hopefully you feel the same about yourself.
I'm pretty sure your full of crap, and if your not then you probably had mommy and daddy bankrolling you the entire way. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with parental help, just saying that I DO have the right to be proud of what I make because i've worked hard for it. I don't ever "brag" about anything... But I'm sure you must think your hot stuff with you 4X my salary lol... If that's so true and your 26 apparently, care to share what you do? And how you got there?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM

398 posts, read 1,366,492 times
Dude, many people at your age earning $40K a year complain like hell too.
Your cutoff at $70K+ salaried people complaining about money is downright ridiculous.

Maybe your OP should have been:

"Stop being snobby ungrateful American a**holes complaining about money because there are starving, diseased people with no jobs, foodstamps or freedom in Ethiopia."

Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
I'm pretty sure your full of crap, and if your not then you probably had mommy and daddy bankrolling you the entire way. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with parental help, just saying that I DO have the right to be proud of what I make because i've worked hard for it. I don't ever "brag" about anything... But I'm sure you must think your hot stuff with you 4X my salary lol... If that's so true and your 26 apparently, care to share what you do? And how you got there?
Why are you do offensive? Grow up man.

My parents didn't help much at all. I paved my own path. I was working since I was 14 years old. The only thing my parents did was made sure I went through a good school system. I had no help for college. I got myself a full scholarship to Princeton University (which was convenient since I grew up just a few miles from there). Dropped out of school to start a software consulting business at 19. It took off. At 21, I started a franchised preschool (under a family members name, since the franchise required someone with a college degree). Then went back to school to finish my degree. Two years ago, bought another preschool (same franchise). Last year, I started a job recruiting company(it's really just a one-man shop). So now I have my software consulting business, job recuiting business and two preschools. I still owe the bank $560,000 for loans I took for the two schools.... which should be paid off by 2016.

I didn't do anything special other than work hard and prove to banks that I can start a business, and keep it profitable. You can do the same thing if you wanted.

So I'm snobby for supplying people jobs and providing parents a place to put their kids while they work. Starting in 2012, one of my schools has been approved by the township to host private kindergarten classes... man am I a snob.

And before you go there, I am certainly not rich. Running a business is not cheap.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 PM

398 posts, read 1,366,492 times
You're both snobs... why can't you both be happy earning $30k or less and living with your parents like some people your age?

I mean, you can get married and have a family while still living with your parents and everyone sharing financial responsibilities.
It's normal in many cultures to have large extended families under one roof.
This way, there's no need for any one person to have a salary over $15k with all the shared finances!

Why are parents and grown up children in America so selfish needing to earn more money to live on their own and raise families apart from each other?

Crazy Americans...
All you really need is a Napa Hut, some Jackfruit trees and Banana leaves.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Why are you do offensive? Grow up man.

My parents didn't help much at all. I paved my own path. I was working since I was 14 years old. The only thing my parents did was made sure I went through a good school system. I had no help for college. I got myself a full scholarship to Princeton University (which was convenient since I grew up just a few miles from there). Dropped out of school to start a software consulting business at 19. It took off. At 21, I started a franchised preschool (under a family members name, since the franchise required someone with a college degree). Then went back to school to finish my degree. Two years ago, bought another preschool (same franchise). Last year, I started a job recruiting company(it's really just a one-man shop). So now I have my software consulting business, job recuiting business and two preschools. I still owe the bank $560,000 for loans I took for the two schools.... which should be paid off by 2016.

I didn't do anything special other than work hard and prove to banks that I can start a business, and keep it profitable. You can do the same thing if you wanted.

So I'm snobby for supplying people jobs and providing parents a place to put their kids while they work. Starting in 2012, one of my schools has been approved by the township to host private kindergarten classes... man am I a snob.

And before you go there, I am certainly not rich. Running a business is not cheap.
Good to hear your story. So cool that you accomplished so much at your age. It took me longer to get going but now I also have a business of my own (besides my job at the hospital.) I just don't understand why others have a problem when people are successful. I mean what is up with that? Plenty of people have done it before and plenty of people will do it again. Why is it that people think that mom and dad have to be a part of the equation when it comes to making it in life? A good friend of mine started a headwear company when he was 22. Last year Forbes did an article on his company which is projected to have $10million in sales this year. The company is 9 years old.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
You're both snobs... why can't you both be happy earning $30k or less and living with your parents like some people your age?

I mean, you can get married and have a family while still living with your parents and everyone sharing financial responsibilities.
It's normal in many cultures to have large extended families under one roof.
This way, there's no need for any one person to have a salary over $15k with all the shared finances!

Why are parents and grown up children in America so selfish needing to earn more money to live on their own and raise families apart from each other?

Crazy Americans...
All you really need is a Napa Hut, some Jackfruit trees and Banana leaves.
Is it not normal to want to succeed and do better than others? Money and the trappings that it brings are just a marker. For many they just love what they do, become good at it, and the money follows.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,219,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
But, the salary that person has may be part of the company's competitive advantage. In this economy, who would do that when they could easily be replaced by an "industry average" from a source that possibly cooks the numbers.
Obviously it has to benefit the company. If a person cannot prove their presence either makes the company more than their salary in revenue or saves the company at least their salary in cost reduction, they don't deserve a job. And why do many of your posts assume people 'cook numbers' and lie their way through things?

Quote:
Who's "complaining"??? Can you read or even understand posts? I'm annoyed WITH complainers!!!! Go back to the OP! My 50 Grand works for me, if I can eventually make more, awesome! But if not then lord knows I will appreciate what I have and thank God that I at least have my health for the time being!
Ben - If right now I offered to pay you $20,000/yr (a wage many americans live on) and said I would take the other $30,000/yr and give it to people without jobs, would you be OK with that?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM

364 posts, read 1,081,385 times
Quote:
Everyone in my company (with the exception of owners) get a flat $100k salary. 30 billable hours/week is required. Anything above 40 billable hours/week is calculated into their bonus. So, for those who want a social life, they can have it, and for those who rather work, they'll be rewarded for it. We had one guy who had a $74,000 bonus last year.
What line of work are you in?

Better yet, what line of work is everyone in? Just curious.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,711,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I make well over 70k and have plenty of time for social activities. Do I work 40hrs week. No, typically 50ish but my weekends and nights are usually clear. All depends on the type of company you work for.
I can say the same here - my wife and I are both in the "over 70" group and I'd say on average we both put in close to 45-50 hours per week (salaried) but our nights and weekends are generally free as well and we do have a fairly active social life.

Quote:
No clearly your just a greedy snob who wants to pretend like your someone "entitled" to complain, when in reality anyone making 100K or over should count their blessings
I think many of us making a salary in the range you seem to have a problem with do consider ourselves fortunate to be able to make what we do and be able to provide for our families. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with people wanting more, regardless of what they have now.

Quote:
Would I like to make more? Sure who wouldn't?
Apparently you agree with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
No one is bashing low wage earners. What I deride is the seeming hatred on the part of some of others for no crime other than doing well...
Well said. In today's economic climate, it seems like a number of people have some ill will for those that are doing well for themselves and feel like those who do make a certain level of income are somehow bad people (any number of threads on C-D will show that). In fact...here's an example right here:

Quote:
Because it makes me sick that there are so many hard working, good, and much more grateful people who would jump at a chance to make a good salary like that and make the best of their lives in the process... I really do hope there is a depression actually.. So maybe all these bad people can get humbled for once. It seems the majority of the rich are evil people who can't seem to understand what really matters in life! NEWS FLASH people: money isn't everything and you can't take it with you!!! And if you think it makes you special think about this... How many rich people have lived on this earth? Millions right? Outside of celebrities can you remember any of them? Did their money make them memorable? NO!!!! The ones that are remembered are the ones that helped make people happier and helped better the world! Now THAT is a persons true legacy!!! Wake up snobs!
I'm done feeding the troll now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.