Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,257,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I'd like to know what people are doing for a living making more than 70K, and also having a social life. Most people i Know making more are in management and basically live at work. No thanks
Everyone in my company (with the exception of owners) get a flat $100k salary. 30 billable hours/week is required. Anything above 40 billable hours/week is calculated into their bonus. So, for those who want a social life, they can have it, and for those who rather work, they'll be rewarded for it. We had one guy who had a $74,000 bonus last year.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I have not been looking very hard myself. I already admitted in another thread that I've been complacent and lazy about that. But I'm also a bit discouraged with the market as well, so that's why I haven't invested much time into it. Job hunting is stressful enough already. Job hunting and getting no responses is absolute misery.
I didn't mean to single you out, sorry. As long as you understand your situation and aren't whining about it, it's perfectly fine. I fully understand how easy it is to be lazy.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM

623 posts, read 1,606,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Because it makes me sick that there are so many hard working, good, and much more grateful people who would jump at a chance to make a good salary like that and make the best of their lives in the process... I really do hope there is a depression actually.. So maybe all these bad people can get humbled for once. It seems the majority of the rich are evil people who can't seem to understand what really matters in life! NEWS FLASH people: money isn't everything and you can't take it with you!!! And if you think it makes you special think about this... How many rich people have lived on this earth? Millions right? Outside of celebrities can you remember any of them? Did their money make them memorable? NO!!!! The ones that are remembered are the ones that helped make people happier and helped better the world! Now THAT is a persons true legacy!!! Wake up snobs!
A quote from the movie Billy Madison is the better than anything I could ever come up with regarding your posts on this thread....

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,986,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Everyone in my company (with the exception of owners) get a flat $100k salary. 30 billable hours/week is required. Anything above 40 billable hours/week is calculated into their bonus. So, for those who want a social life, they can have it, and for those who rather work, they'll be rewarded for it. We had one guy who had a $74,000 bonus last year.
Jeezus! What industry is this? I'm smart and hard-working. How can I break into it?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Jeezus! What industry is this? I'm smart and hard-working. How can I break into it?
Software. It's a very small firm that I started several years ago. Startups are the best places to work IMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,986,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Software. It's a very small firm that I started several years ago. Startups are the best places to work IMO.
Yikes. Not true for my employer sadly. They're not really a startup, since they've been around for about 10 years now, but they are small (<25 i think). Absolutely nowhere to go in terms of career advancement and the pay absolutely sucks for what you're responsible for. They got a primo contract with a F500 company and have been complacent since. They have maybe one or two other very small accounts. Classic example of all your eggs in one basket.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,235,365 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what people are doing for a living making more than 70K, and also having a social life. Most people i Know making more are in management and basically live at work. No thanks
I don't know their exact salaries but it is safe to say everyone on my team at work makes somewhere between 80k - 110k, averaging about 40 hours per week. I think many mid-career software developers would make same claim.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,347,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
Because it makes me sick that there are so many hard working, good, and much more grateful people who would jump at a chance to make a good salary like that and make the best of their lives in the process... I really do hope there is a depression actually.. So maybe all these bad people can get humbled for once. It seems the majority of the rich are evil people who can't seem to understand what really matters in life! NEWS FLASH people: money isn't everything and you can't take it with you!!! And if you think it makes you special think about this... How many rich people have lived on this earth? Millions right? Outside of celebrities can you remember any of them? Did their money make them memorable? NO!!!! The ones that are remembered are the ones that helped make people happier and helped better the world! Now THAT is a persons true legacy!!! Wake up snobs!
Ya know how those rich people helped make other people happier and bettered the world?

BY NOT BEING SATISFIED WITH MAKING $70,000 A YEAR, THAT'S HOW!!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:30 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,461,632 times
Quote:
What field are you in? Are you in the private sector?
I work for a private healthcare organization. we have two hospitals and 11 clinics. I work in the Facilities, Plant Operation, and Construction end of the business. If I continue to move up I will (hopefully within 5 years.) become the next Facilities Manager and Director of Engineering. My boss does that now and brings in over $120,000 a year.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 PM

You know what annoys me? People who make $50k and do nothing but complain. Listen, money is a renewable resource. Go make some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment