Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to remind all of you making over 70K that our next monthly meeting will be next Tuesday. Lobster and caviar will be served promply at 10. We will follow that up with having our servants do manual labor for no reason at all and finish up by exploiting the lower class and complaining we don't make enough money.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoss85 View Post
20K a year is basically poverty level... 70-100K plus is not! What's to complain about if your making DOUBLE the average American salary? I would be so grateful to make that when I know that there are millions who ARE only making 10.00 an hour and have poverty level lives.
So...your point is that once people make a certain salary, they should just suck it up and not be concerned about making more because they are better off than others. Hate to break it to you, but life is not fair, some people will always be better off than othrs in any number of ways (financially is just one of those). Even so, it is no worse for someone in either position to want to do even better, regardless of their baseline.

Quote:
Ok Mr. Smart guy you explain to me then , why would YOU have the right to complain if you were making 70-100K plus a year? I can't wait to read that!
I realized this was not addressed to me, but I'll answer - if I were making $70k per year, that would mean that I was being paid substantially less than most other people who have a similar job / position as myself. In such a case, I certainly would complain about it...well, not entirely true, I would be looking for a new job (assuming I was foolish enough to accept a position at such an low salary to begin with).

Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM

623 posts, read 1,603,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I guess it just depends on your perspective. Like I said, my major starts at 39k and tops out at 71k on average. And frankly, I don't know if I expect to ever make 71k.

So from my point of view, 70k-100k is rich.
The point is if you make 50k a year and go discuss it with people who make 30k then you will be viewed as the OP views these peope he had this so called discussion with.

However if you make 50K and complain/discuss it with people who make 50K+ then you have a level of understanding and it would not viewed as the same type of complaining.

200k is rich to me and if someone came to me complaining they make 200k a year then I may have some of the same feelings the OP has. However if I happen to over hear a conversation I would not be offended because I don't know the specifics of their job or what the pay would be. People have every right to be paid what they feel they should be.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 151,223 times
Awwwww I hurt some of you snobs feelings? Sorry maybe next time you'll know better than to go against me. You can't win and never will. Truth hurts guys!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,480,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
The point is if you make 50k a year and go discuss it with people who make 30k then you will be viewed as the OP views these peope he had this so called discussion with.

However if you make 50K and complain/discuss it with people who make 50K+ then you have a level of understanding and it would not viewed as the same type of complaining.

200k is rich to me and if someone came to me complaining they make 200k a year then I may have some of the same feelings the OP has. However if I happen to over hear a conversation I would not be offended because I don't know the specifics of their job or what the pay would be. People have every right to be paid what they feel they should be.
But the difference is you can actually live comfortably on 70k-100k. Maybe not the lifestyle you would like, but you can live comfortably. You can't live comfortably on 20k.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:02 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,480,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So...your point is that once people make a certain salary, they should just suck it up and not be concerned about making more because they are better off than others. Hate to break it to you, but life is not fair, some people will always be better off than othrs in any number of ways (financially is just one of those). Even so, it is no worse for someone in either position to want to do even better, regardless of their baseline.

I realized this was not addressed to me, but I'll answer - if I were making $70k per year, that would mean that I was being paid substantially less than most other people who have a similar job / position as myself. In such a case, I certainly would complain about it...well, not entirely true, I would be looking for a new job (assuming I was foolish enough to accept a position at such an low salary to begin with).
This right here is snobbery. Saying 70k is "such a low salary" and saying "only a fool would accept such a low paying job"

Who says this hypothetical 70k position would be the same type of job you have now? Let's say you get fired and can't find another job in your field, but you get offered a 70k job in another field (and for this example, let's say 70k is a normal salary for that field). Would you complain in that case?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:02 AM

623 posts, read 1,603,612 times
Quote:
Awwwww I hurt some of you snobs feelings? Sorry maybe next time you'll know better than to go against me. You can't win and never will. Truth hurts guys!
I would ask the Mods to close this pathetic waste of space. It is apparent that the OP is only looking to stir up trouble and has no plans of debating the issue in a grown up adult fashion.

I am starting to think its a just a troll.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I would ask the Mods to close this pathetic waste of space. It is apparent that the OP is only looking to stir up trouble and has no plans of debating the issue in a grown up adult fashion.

I am starting to think its a just a troll.
Well you proved already how much a snob you are. AND I QUOTE YOU "I'm a moron that makes way more than you. This moron is one happy camper who will always make more than you. ".... nothing more I need to add. Nobody cares how much you make, but since your sympathetic to rich complainers and make quotes like that... well who's really the troll clown?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
This thread gave me a lot of hope for my career. If this guy can make $50k/year then anything is possible for me!

Thanks benmoss for giving me this motivation.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This thread gave me a lot of hope for my career. If this guy can make $50k/year then anything is possible for me!

Thanks benmoss for giving me this motivation.
Your welcome. Hope you make the best of your life regardless of what you make. Just remember if your fortunate enough to make 100K+... know that there are many who don't have half of that and when you start to get the urge to complain, first think of all you DO have. Peace brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment