Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Problem. Those countries are starting to offer what they have to native born citizens. They have been over loaded with those from other nations coming in and taking their jobs. You could try getting in now, but then the doors are starting to close. LOL
Eh, shouldn't be any different than here. Oh, but that's right, we actually advocate that businesses import cheap labor rather than protect our jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am confused. Today everyone DOES have the right to a job. They just have to find it themselves. No one is 'denied a job' because of discriminatory action, and if they are, they can sue.

How exactly is the government or the people violating a 'right to a job' in the nation's present state?
Exactly.

Having a right to something doesn't mean you should be given something as so many people seem to think.

In this country I have the right to keep and bear arms. That doesn't mean the goverment should buy everyone a gun.

You have the right to a job.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post

You have the right to (earn) a job.
For semantical purposes, I think this sounds better.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
For semantical purposes, I think this sounds better.
I agree. That more or less says it.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,674 times
All of us in this country have the right to work. The OP is so right. If I was an employer interviewing someone for a job and they were 70 years old let's just say, I would hire them for sure if they had the right qualifications. Employers need to look past the whole age issue and just hire the right people. Who cares how old someone is? If they are good enough for the job they should be hired. Why are employers always looking to hire the younger age people and not giving the 50 or 60 year olds a chance too? No one should go without a job, not in this country. The US is known as a place where you can become somebody but in order for that to still be true, everyone SHOULD have the right to work instead of sitting home all day. It is outrageous what is happening to our citizens Employers should at least be a little more open minded as to who they hire instead of not hiring someone because they aren't "young" anymore. Enough is enough. The OP has the correct point.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
Eh, shouldn't be any different than here. Oh, but that's right, we actually advocate that businesses import cheap labor rather than protect our jobs.
Business should be free to offer a job and pay what they want for that job. If it turns out that they can not make a profit in one area but can in another area they should have the freedom to do what it needed to make that profit. If someone comes to you and tells you that they have a job that pays $15 an hour do you take it or say I used to get $20 for that same job. Maybe in the past the company was profitable and could pay you the $20. Now to be profitable they can only afford $15. It is their business and they have every right to do this. If they find someone that will work for the $15 an hour then they have priced the job correctly. Lets say that they want to offer an amount that no one will work for? Then the market will speak and they would either have to offer more to get the job done or figure another way to get that job done. If a company were to say, we can not pay more than the $15 an hour and no one will work for less than $20 an hour. Then we need to shut our doors or move the company to an area that people are willing to work for $15.

We used to build the best cars in the world. The union destroyed all that. Remember companies are here to make a profit. To do that the auto industry had to make sure that they took care of all the union members and still produce a product. They started selling junk, but all those Union people still had jobs so that was OK. The Japanese were able to capitalize on that and build a much better product than we could build or were able to build because of the union. It is a shame how the auto industry was decimated just so all those Union members could make more money than they are worth. Why should Ford, GM, or Chrysler pay some guy $30, $40, or $50 an hour to do a repetitive job that you could pay someone $12 an hour to do? Better yet since no one is budging on pay scale, why not move production to Mexico and pay those people $8 an hour?

You want protected jobs? Make sure where you work is profitable and the job that you are doing makes money or saves so much money that they can not get along without you. Make yourself valuable to the company, learn everything that you can and be willing to help out anywhere that you can. Get rid of the "That is not in my job description" mentality.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
All of us in this country have the right to work. The OP is so right. If I was an employer interviewing someone for a job and they were 70 years old let's just say, I would hire them for sure if they had the right qualifications. Employers need to look past the whole age issue and just hire the right people. Who cares how old someone is? If they are good enough for the job they should be hired. Why are employers always looking to hire the younger age people and not giving the 50 or 60 year olds a chance too? No one should go without a job, not in this country. The US is known as a place where you can become somebody but in order for that to still be true, everyone SHOULD have the right to work instead of sitting home all day. It is outrageous what is happening to our citizens Employers should at least be a little more open minded as to who they hire instead of not hiring someone because they aren't "young" anymore. Enough is enough. The OP has the correct point.
Younger is more practical financially and long term for employers. The reasons are obvious.

Try hiring a 70 year old guy as an order picker in a warehouse. Stick him on a forklift and see how it turns out.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Lack of jobs: Someone on here had the audacity to say there aren't a lack of jobs. Really? How many Americans are unemployed? How many are underemployed? I've applied for about 30-40 jobs in the past few months. On each one, I either received a rejection letter or no response at all. Oh, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Yeah, I guess working the past three years is what I'm doing wrong. My experience is recent and relevant. My education and skills are up to date and relevant. What else is there that one can do besides be discouraged?
Yea, that's me. I said there are no lack of jobs. I wouldn't say you are doing something wrong, but you certainly aren't doing something to increase your chances of getting a job.

For example, master calculus, statistics (general college level, nothing extra) and risk management, and apply for risk management jobs in NYC. I assure you that you will get phone calls immediately.

Notice the metrics you referenced? Unemployment numbers. That says nothing about the amount of jobs out there. That just says that people are unable to get jobs.

See, the issue here is that the skills required vary from the skills aquired. There is a knowledge gap, essentially. There's lots of jobs out there that are going unfilled because no one is qualified to fill them. It makes sense, too. You can't expect someone working in manufacturing to work in financial evaluations and such.

Ideally there needs to be a movement to retrain people. But until that movement comes about, you as the unemployed individual have no choice but to take on this retraining yourself. Or just apply to jobs where the applicants outnumber the positions available. Take your pick.

Oh, and btw, one of my businesses does recruiting and job placement, so I'm familiar with the situation. I try not to mention this usually because then my inbox on here fills up with resumes (please don't), but it's valid here.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
NJBest,

Good post. I know of plenty of positions that go unfilled because few people are not prepaired to take them on. Funny I always remember reading this years ago. It applies today as it did back in the late 1980 when I read it. Hopefully I will write it correctly;

"At the top, the best jobs are aplenty and few there are to fill them, at the bottom, the worse jobs their are few, and people aplenty to fill them."

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yea, that's me. I said there are no lack of jobs. I wouldn't say you are doing something wrong, but you certainly aren't doing something to increase your chances of getting a job.

For example, master calculus, statistics (general college level, nothing extra) and risk management, and apply for risk management jobs in NYC. I assure you that you will get phone calls immediately.

Notice the metrics you referenced? Unemployment numbers. That says nothing about the amount of jobs out there. That just says that people are unable to get jobs.

See, the issue here is that the skills required vary from the skills aquired. There is a knowledge gap, essentially. There's lots of jobs out there that are going unfilled because no one is qualified to fill them. It makes sense, too. You can't expect someone working in manufacturing to work in financial evaluations and such.

Ideally there needs to be a movement to retrain people. But until that movement comes about, you as the unemployed individual have no choice but to take on this retraining yourself. Or just apply to jobs where the applicants outnumber the positions available. Take your pick.

Oh, and btw, one of my businesses does recruiting and job placement, so I'm familiar with the situation. I try not to mention this usually because then my inbox on here fills up with resumes (please don't), but it's valid here.
I think part of the problem here is that education has become nearly cost prohibitve, thats a huge problem. The student loan bubble is the next one to pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment