Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,534,287 times

Advertisements

Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_on_bi_ge/us_immigration_jobs - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,047,087 times
Quote:
The AP analysis showed that, from January to June, California farmers posted ads for 1,160 farmworker positions open to U.S. citizens and legal residents. But only 233 people in those categories applied after learning of the jobs through [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]unemployment [COLOR=#366388 !important]offices[/color][/color][/color] in California, Texas, Nevada and Arizona.
One grower brought on 36. No one else hired any.
Why were only 36 of 233 hired?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,651,722 times
I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to uproot their family and go pick veges in the middle of nowhere for 3 or 4 months and then be out of work again.

And for 10 bucks an hour in sunny CA., a state with the lowest cost of living in the nation.

If it weren't for my trick knee, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sitting in the back of a tomato truck singing Mexico lindo y querido with my fellow workers has been a dream of mine ever since graduating summa c*m laude from a fine NY university.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,313,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to uproot their family and go pick veges in the middle of nowhere for 3 or 4 months and then be out of work again.

And for 10 bucks an hour in sunny CA., a state with the lowest cost of living in the nation.

If it weren't for my trick knee, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sitting in the back of a tomato truck singing Mexico lindo y querido with my fellow workers has been a dream of mine ever since graduating summa c*m laude from a fine NY university.
Exxxxxxxxactly.

Those reports, articles are so unfair.

That was beautifully written by the way, lol.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM

682 posts, read 2,427,141 times
Having grown up on a farm and done my fair share of hard labor, I have to say that it really depends on the area and time commitment. We always had a variety of people on our farm or our neighbors' farms, especially during potato harvest. High school kids, stay-at-home mothers, Latino, Native American, etc, basically anyone looking to make a few extra bucks for a few weeks worth of labor.

I can't say that I would want to do it again, but hey -- working on a potato-combine in the dirt, cold, heat, rain, etc. beats retail any day. At least you get to throw the rotten ones out!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,886,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Working on a potato-combine in the dirt, cold, heat, rain, etc. beats retail any day.
No way.
Working with potatoes you can't take a 45 minute internet break or check out all the hot moms in the perfume section, or get employee discounts.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 AM

580 posts, read 2,295,156 times
I would think that there would be all kinds of people lining up for these jobs. What...do we have a Mexican shortage or something?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times
Remove the welfare and unemployment programs and then see if people are willing to do the work. That's the only reason so many Americans won't take those jobs. They've become lazy and dependant on the government. Why should they put down the bon bons, turn off Jerry Springer and get off their fat lazy butts to do hard work when the government will give them everything for nothing?

I grew up in a town that had a lot of farms. We had a ton of legal immigrants that came in each season to harvest and it worked fine. Until border hopping hit our area and they offered to do the work for less than the legal immigrants and it didn't cost the farm owners the money to import them.

Lock down our borders, streamline the legal immigrant process and remove the government programs that have our country addicted to doing nothing and you'll see a huge difference.

JMO

Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,659,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Remove the welfare and unemployment programs and then see if people are willing to do the work. That's the only reason so many Americans won't take those jobs. They've become lazy and dependant on the government. Why should they put down the bon bons, turn off Jerry Springer and get off their fat lazy butts to do hard work when the government will give them everything for nothing?

I grew up in a town that had a lot of farms. We had a ton of legal immigrants that came in each season to harvest and it worked fine. Until border hopping hit our area and they offered to do the work for less than the legal immigrants and it didn't cost the farm owners the money to import them.

Lock down our borders, streamline the legal immigrant process and remove the government programs that have our country addicted to doing nothing and you'll see a huge difference.

JMO
Great idea, That will leave 14,998,000 with no money and no jobs.

This story makes a lot of sense as well as over 200 applied and they only gave jobs to 30 something of them. lol. They are complaining about people not taking these jobs and they are being picky about giving the people that came to apply the jobs. Idiots.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Great idea, That will leave 14,998,000 with no money and no jobs.

This story makes a lot of sense as well as over 200 applied and they only gave jobs to 30 something of them. lol. They are complaining about people not taking these jobs and they are being picky about giving the people that came to apply the jobs. Idiots.
So I guess you think everyone should be handed any money they want? UE lasts as long as people need it with no accountability? No requirement or deadline to get a job and get off the tax payer buck?

There was a time in this country when EU didn't exist. People managed. They got off their butt and painted houses, babysat, did odd jobs. People don't do that now. They just shrug and hit the EU line. We're becoming way too dependant on the government and it shows in just about every way you can imagine.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Ever hear of that term? When forced to find a way to feed your family, people survive. We are by nature survivors. It's how we climbed our way to the top of the food chain. Now............ now we're just lazy and expect Big Brother to run our lives for us. It's pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment