Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
So I guess you think everyone should be handed any money they want? UE lasts as long as people need it with no accountability? No requirement or deadline to get a job and get off the tax payer buck?

There was a time in this country when EU didn't exist. People managed. They got off their butt and painted houses, babysat, did odd jobs. People don't do that now. They just shrug and hit the EU line. We're becoming way too dependant on the government and it shows in just about every way you can imagine.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Ever hear of that term? When forced to find a way to feed your family, people survive. We are by nature survivors. It's how we climbed our way to the top of the food chain. Now............ now we're just lazy and expect Big Brother to run our lives for us. It's pathetic.
lol, Ok, whatever you say, there are 25 million lazy people out there. Ugh. I'm sorry posts like this make zero sense in today's economy as numbers always prove it wrong. And the tired response of the tax payer buck. That's even funnier as most of the people on unemployment paid taxes for 10/20/30/40 years.

Last edited by OHGreat; 09-29-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,697,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
This story makes a lot of sense as well as over 200 applied and they only gave jobs to 30 something of them. lol. They are complaining about people not taking these jobs and they are being picky about giving the people that came to apply the jobs. Idiots.
There was followup on some news stations. They said that many turned down the jobs when they found out the pay, type of work, hours they had to work and the pace of the job. Some of the jobs were for when the crops were ready so you apply and the work can start a few days from now to as much as weeks away, all depending on harvest time.

Some would have taken the jobs if closer and longer. But some jobs were a month here, a few weeks there, and so on. and you may have to travel many miles between harvest sites.

Labor cost on produce has to be keep real low or you run the chance the buyers will shift to lower cost foreign produce. Look at Hawaii pineapples. Once they were the main source for the US but as cheaper foreign produce started hitting the markets, after a while, the only way to compete in the US was lower pay to almost slave wages. Now less than 1% of pinapples in the US are grown in the US. Over 90% of the Hawaii pinapple fields are gone.

How can the US compete with a person working 10 hour day - 6 days a week for $25 in some foreign country? Do you think WalMart cares if its a US product or just the lowest price?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
There was followup on some news stations. They said that many turned down the jobs when they found out the pay, type of work, hours they had to work and the pace of the job. Some of the jobs were for when the crops were ready so you apply and the work can start a few days from now to as much as weeks away, all depending on harvest time.

Some would have taken the jobs if closer and longer. But some jobs were a month here, a few weeks there, and so on. and you may have to travel many miles between harvest sites.

Labor cost on produce has to be keep real low or you run the chance the buyers will shift to lower cost foreign produce. Look at Hawaii pineapples. Once they were the main source for the US but as cheaper foreign produce started hitting the markets, after a while, the only way to compete in the US was lower pay to almost slave wages. Now less than 1% of pinapples in the US are grown in the US. Over 90% of the Hawaii pinapple fields are gone.

How can the US compete with a person working 10 hour day - 6 days a week for $25 in some foreign country? Do you think WalMart cares if its a US product or just the lowest price?
Still sounds like a sensationalized story. So it could be hours all over the place and longer distance then would make that kind of money worth it. Only way I would see this being worth it is if one had zero income at all.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 PM

164 posts, read 441,055 times
As I stated in the other thread about this, I applied to work on a hops farm. I didn't get the job, and why would I? Mexicans have been doing these jobs for YEEEARS! Plus, they don't expect a raise or benefits. And they won't report the farm owner for any type of mistreatment.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,640,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to uproot their family and go pick veges in the middle of nowhere for 3 or 4 months and then be out of work again.

And for 10 bucks an hour in sunny CA., a state with the lowest cost of living in the nation.

If it weren't for my trick knee, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sitting in the back of a tomato truck singing Mexico lindo y querido with my fellow workers has been a dream of mine ever since graduating summa c*m laude from a fine NY university.
I laughed so hard at this. Too true.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,373,545 times
I grew up in the PNW and I picked berries and beans during the summer, I KNOW what farm work is about and I currently live on 10 acres and used to have horses. At near 60 there is no way I could do that kind of labor with my bad back and knees, one of the reasons I sold my horses, I just can't do that hard physical labor anymore.

What I get so mad at is; first the article paints the unemployed in a "we don't want to work light" that so many of the employed seem to buy into. Second, why is it that so many of the employed lump the unemployed and the people on welfare in one group? I've worked very hard all my life and that would be about 40 years that I've paid into the unemployement system. So, after 99 weeks and no job, I've been thrown under the bus.

It all boils down to the pesky math problem AGAIN, there are 5 people for every 1 job in the USA at this time. Unemployment is not welfare folks, we've paid into this system, and longer than many of you have been alive. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS and that is such a simple statement that so few of the employed seem to understand. YOU, the employed are not paying for my unemployment benefits - I am - from the 40 years of labor that I have worked. Unemployment benefits should last for as long as necessary until we can get jobs again. I find it very insulting that some think I am not doing my very best to find work, I've even paid for re-education to get a job out of my own pocket - and still no job. I am also facing age discrimination as many of the so called 99ers are, many of us are over 40 and 50, so for that 1 job there are usually 100's if not 1000's of qualified applicants. Again, it's that pesky math problem that the employed seem to have a problem with...it goes like this: 5-1=4, so that means for every job there are 4 people who won't get a job during this crappy economy.

The nay sayers about continued unemployment assume we are just lazy and living it up on unemployment benefits and I'm very sick of this attitude towards us, I work harder than they do at their "regular jobs" looking for work.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:18 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,361,148 times
I picked vegetables for two months this summer, three afternoons a week, at a local farm. If you know how to change positions while picking, you'll save your back and knees. Depending what I was picking, tomatoes for instance, I alternated between bending, stooping, crouching, and sometimes sitting down, crawling along like a crab between the rows. And there were always guys there who put my heavy crates onto the truck so I didn't have to do any lifting. I used lots of sun screen and drank gallons of water. Could I do it for a living, full time? No. But it was something different, and I made a little money in this stinking economy. Not to mention, I got a great tan.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,046 times
Quote:
So I guess you think everyone should be handed any money they want? UE lasts as long as people need it with no accountability? No requirement or deadline to get a job and get off the tax payer buck?

There was a time in this country when EU didn't exist. People managed. They got off their butt and painted houses, babysat, did odd jobs. People don't do that now. They just shrug and hit the EU line. We're becoming way too dependant on the government and it shows in just about every way you can imagine.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Ever hear of that term? When forced to find a way to feed your family, people survive. We are by nature survivors. It's how we climbed our way to the top of the food chain. Now............ now we're just lazy and expect Big Brother to run our lives for us. It's pathetic.
You really don't know a lot about UE do you? To get UE in the first place you have to have BEEN working and been let go for no fault of your own.......THEN while you are ON UE, you have to keep a job log and make (in most states) a minimum of 3 job contacts a week........most of the unemployed make FAR more than they are required to, why? Because they want to WORK - not that you'll believe that of course.

Life is so pleasant and easy on UE making less than half what you once earned and barely making it from week to week, yes that sure pays for a lot of bon bons (WTF is a bon bon anyway - do you mean candy?)

Old 10-02-2010, 02:34 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,373,545 times
Quote:
Remove the welfare and unemployment programs and then see if people are willing to do the work. That's the only reason so many Americans won't take those jobs. They've become lazy and dependant on the government. Why should they put down the bon bons, turn off Jerry Springer and get off their fat lazy butts to do hard work when the government will give them everything for nothing?

I grew up in a town that had a lot of farms. We had a ton of legal immigrants that came in each season to harvest and it worked fine. Until border hopping hit our area and they offered to do the work for less than the legal immigrants and it didn't cost the farm owners the money to import them.

Lock down our borders, streamline the legal immigrant process and remove the government programs that have our country addicted to doing nothing and you'll see a huge difference.

JMO
I'm more than shocked that this is coming from you. You spend lots of time and money rescuing and re-homing dogs and cats and I will be forever greatful for your help in re-homing my cat because I will loose my home soon if I can't get work and will become homeless.

Where is your empathy for your fellow human beings who through no fault of their own have lost their jobs and many like myself our professions have disapeared along with whole industries? At 60 years old with some health issues I can't do farm work or any hard physical labor any more. Many of the long term unemployed are older like myself. We are NOT LAZY nor are we sitting around watching TV (can't afford my dish bill anymore) or eating bon bons (certainly can't afford them on foodstamps). We are working hard every day looking for work. I would be more than willing to take a minimum wage job and have applied for many but have been turned down.

Lumping welfare and unemployment together is incorrect, unemployment benefits have been paid for out of our paychecks and for me it has been for DECADES, yet in this economy, I've been unable to get work after 99 weeks. Even after taking a phlebotomy course to re-train myself (paid for by me BTW). Unemployment benefits are not free nor has it ever been a government hand out. Since it is based on how long you have worked and how much you've been paid...I'd like to know where the rest of my benefits are I've paid into it for nearly 40 years, yet when I now need it the most, I'm cut off in the worst economy since the depression.

It is a fact that there are 5 people for every 1 job, what are the other 4 supposed to do? Become homeless (I will be soon)? Starve? As you well know, I will loose my home shortly because my unemployment benefits have ended. I have a 14 year old pick up truck that I will have to live in - homeless. I still will get food stamps but as a single person it's not much and since I have no camping gear I'll have no way to cook it, there are NO healthcare benefits unless you have children, so I have no healthcare. Do you really think I want to live like this I've worked hard all my life for a very modest mobile home with a very modest mortgage. It is quite frankly very insulting that you consider the unemployed (that would be me) lazy and lump me in with someone who is recieving welfare - two completely different things

Again, I'm so surprised by your statements where is your empathy for the millions of us who have lost our jobs our homes?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:13 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,771,966 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment