Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,241,548 times

Advertisements

This is really getting on my nerves. This white guy(all of of whom thinks he is so cool) continues to compare myslef and another black coworker. We are the only 2 blacks in the department.

He'll make remarks about our different style of dress. Our personalities and the kind of music we have in our offices.

Folks, I can't make this S*** up.

To be honest, it's not the first time I've been the only black in the office and white folks started with the comparisons.

This is really annoying me......I had a "secret" meeting with my other coworker and he said the same thing. We both have been there before and a lot of blacks have. You'll have blacks that will deny it but many have been in this situation.

I think whites don't even realize they are doing it.

I don't know why this happens but it does.

I don't even talk to the other black guy that much because we do much different jobs and quite frankly we both have heavy workloads...he and I are way to busy to be chatting it up during the day.

We both are in meetings at least 3 out of 5 days a week.

We say what's up in passing but that's about it.

This always come's up when the department wants to go out for a group lunch......we both always hear.."OH(black guy name)said he's going".

IT's like they(white folks)are saying one black is on board, are you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,769,336 times
It sounds like this individual is either insensitive or unaware of how he is coming across. If you have said something to him about it and he has persisted, then I'd definitely say he's insensitive. Otherwise, it's hard to know.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM

16,214 posts, read 21,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
To be honest, it's not the first time I've been the only black in the office and white folks started with the comparisons.
If you are the only black person in the office who are they comparing you to?

When I used to work in a mostly male dominated job, and we had district meetings, they would almost always mention whether or not the only other female in the district would be attending. I just figured they thought I would be more comfortable if there was someone there that I had 'more in common' with.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

When I used to work in a mostly male dominated job, and we had district meetings, they would almost always mention whether or not the only other female in the district would be attending. I just figured they thought I would be more comfortable if there was someone there that I had 'more in common' with.
LOL.......oops.

I think those that read it know what I mean.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

The only thing you have in common is that you're both women.

Thou shall not assume.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,199,544 times
Tenn. study: Black workers less supported at work -- but happier? - latimes.com

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,247,657 times
He probably hasn't had much interaction with black folks before or something. The behavior just sounds odd. Maybe with time things will change. People have to deal with all kinds of co-workers with personality quirks, so at least he isn't yelling at you like a crazy man or super stinky.....

Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 AM

28,750 posts, read 19,001,566 times
Sometimes researchers overlook the obvious.

Quote:

The reasons behind that paradox remain murky. Emory University sociologist
Corey Keyes believes the pattern could be tied to greater religiousness and
churchgoing among black Americans than white ones. But even in his own research,
as yet unpublished, religiousness explains only a fraction of the difference,
Keyes said.

Some scholars have theorized that stronger family networks among blacks could
explain the paradox, but a study published earlier this year in the Journal of
Marriage and Family found little support for that theory.
Back in the early 70s when I was a young guy in the Air Force, I had a friend who was a Cajun from a tiny Louisiana bayou town. If you greeted him with "How ya doin'?" he'd grin and respond, "Man, I got an indoor job!"

Back in his tiny bayou town, there was one main employer that almost everyone worked for. The well-to-do people had "indoor jobs" for the company. They wore suits or dresses and did paperwork at desks in air-conditioned offices.

Everyone else had an "outdoor job" in the humidity and heat of lower Louisiana. My friend's grandfather, father, and all his uncles worked for the company as stevedores on the docks. They did the "tote that barge, lift that bale" routine every workday, coming home grimey and exhausted, passing out on the sofa. They didn't enjoy life, didn't enjoy their families.

That's what my friend had grown up thinking would be his destiny. But somehow at the end of his senior year in high school, he had wound up in the Air Force recruiting office in Baton Rouge. A few months later, he was in Air Force intelligence...wearing a suit, sitting at a desk, and doing paperwork in an air conditioned office.

While the rest of us griped about being low-ranking airmen getting the crap tasks and not making enough money, he'd just grin and say, "I've got an indoor job!"

So...maybe those researchers need to poll those blacks to see where they came from. That might tell them why they seem to be happier even with less support. Perspective.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,737,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
This is really getting on my nerves. This white guy(all of of whom thinks he is so cool) continues to compare myslef and another black coworker. We are the only 2 blacks in the department.

He'll make remarks about our different style of dress. Our personalities and the kind of music we have in our offices.

Folks, I can't make this S*** up.

IT's like they(white folks)are saying one black is on board, are you?

sounds like a real winner, like one of those attention craved dummies in movies.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 AM

833 posts, read 1,205,498 times
It sounds like they are unaware. It's happened to me a couple times. It's a lose lose situation.

Say something- you'll be the talk of the office
Don't say anything- they'll continue to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment