Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,237,857 times

Advertisements

So, I'm in a bit of a bind.. I'm facing the age old college graduate problem... I am seeking an entry level job but many of the entry level positions that I have found require 1-2 years of experience. I have worked as a Front Desk Supervisor at a large hotel for more than two years (I worked while I went to school), but I'm not sure if this is the type of experience most employers are looking for.

I graduated with my B.S. in Marketing in May and have had a few interviews but no job offers. I realize that Marketing is a competitive field, but I had no idea that it is this competitive.

To anyone else who has been in a similar situation, where do you recommend I go from here? Should I look for jobs out of state? Do you have any recommendations for good job finding resources? If I were to take a non-marketing related job, do you think that I could still end up on the marketing/advertising career path down the road?

This is just a hard place to be... all through college, you get so hyped up to get a good job when you graduate, only to enter the realm of reality I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't know where to go from here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,242,129 times
This is MY opinion, others will disagree, I am sure.

I think that the first thing you should do is get a job. Any job. Keep looking, sending your resumes and tell of your past work experience. Your Front Desk Supervisory position is a good one. It will surprise you what is looked at as being important.

People that do the hiring will look at two or more candidates for the position and all things being equal, the one that has what it takes to find work, any work, shows the best attitude. That's what counts. The person that has been working for six months is better than one that has just been looking for the same amount of time.

As far as finding work else where.......well, that's a possibility. Just be sure, very sure, that you want to pull up stakes and move. It can be a costly mistake if you aren't happy.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:06 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,523,410 times
See if you can get into an entry level sales position - account executive - sell something.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,482,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
So, I'm in a bit of a bind.. I'm facing the age old college graduate problem... I am seeking an entry level job but many of the entry level positions that I have found require 1-2 years of experience. I have worked as a Front Desk Supervisor at a large hotel for more than two years (I worked while I went to school), but I'm not sure if this is the type of experience most employers are looking for.

I graduated with my B.S. in Marketing in May and have had a few interviews but no job offers. I realize that Marketing is a competitive field, but I had no idea that it is this competitive.

To anyone else who has been in a similar situation, where do you recommend I go from here? Should I look for jobs out of state? Do you have any recommendations for good job finding resources? If I were to take a non-marketing related job, do you think that I could still end up on the marketing/advertising career path down the road?

This is just a hard place to be... all through college, you get so hyped up to get a good job when you graduate, only to enter the realm of reality I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't know where to go from here...
Go into sales. If you like people at all you should consider it. Why? Money. The company my husband works for, the salemen make anywhere from 114K in a bad year to 250K in a good year. They work 4 days a week and most of them go golfing on Friday. They are in high demand and can get a job almost anywhere.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,131,527 times
What is marketing? Sales. There's your job and it can be a great one. If you work hard, the sky's the limit.

I have a friend who got a degree in marketing years ago and could have written your post. She honestly didn't make the connection that the logical job for her was sales. She didn't want to be a salesperson. EWWWW! So of course I had to ask why she got a degree in Marketing????

Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,854,171 times
Sure you'll find a job in marketing industry even if your entry - level job is not marketing - related. Good job resource site is Monster Jobs - Get work. Network. Build a better career. Today's the day.. If you really nail your "dream job" right now, then go out of state. If not, just keep looking for any job right now. BEST LUCK.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 AM

286 posts, read 1,590,067 times
Your work experience is important as well as your college degree. Your work exp not only gives you an employee reference, but it also gives you "entry level" office experience. It is all about how your resume is written -- does your resume "sell" you?

Next step.. for marketing, you need to think outside the box. You need to demonstrate your ability to sell the company - and your resume is your shining moment. How can yo make your resume stand out?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 55,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Your work experience is important as well as your college degree.
that's right,it's much more different between a graduate and an experience,the rather that you have been two years'Supervisor?

for a company,usually ,it has a great demand on experience,because that will mean you has ability to communication with someone else smoothly and easily,you don't need others tell you what can be done and not,which can reduce a lot of time for it,of course,if you were good at your marketing and your grade was not bad,you will take more advantage of finding a job!
i believe you!
good luck!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 AM

11 posts, read 36,283 times
Default Feel Your Pain....

Quote:

If it is any consolation, the job market is tough all around. Global competition for jobs has made it a buyers market for employers. I have been in marketing and promotions for over 15 years and find that to secure anything right now you have to think about yourself as a brand and figure out what you do differently and then package yourself against other competition. The best item I have seen on this recently is in the new issue (August 20 & 27) of Businessweek entitled "The Future Of Work"...How we will master technology, manage companies and build careers in the era of the Global, 24-7 Workforce. Great insights there..so pick up a copy and remember to Keep your options OPEN!!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM

2,776 posts, read 4,004,496 times
Quote:
Great comments, and although my own experiences were different, that of my spouse and close friends were identical to yours.

You asked a lot of questions, I'll address the most important ones:
#1 - you need to identify the tasks you performed in your previous employment on your resume - and be able to speak to them easily. The tasks which demonstrate the key attributes companies are looking for in new hires. From what you wrote, you're selling yourself short - yes you did things which you can break out and use to communicate that you have valuable proven abilities/attributes.

#2 - you need to expand your search nationally as well as target a particular industry you are interested in. Marketing for Consumer Products companies is vastly different than Marketing for Medical Device companies. Pick what you want to do, now, and target employers who will get you on the right path.

#3 - Unlike what the professors teach in college, Marketing and Sales are virtually synonymous and either combined or confused with each other in the real business world. This is why you could if you wanted to try to land a sales position right now which in a year or two could help you land a good marketing position in the future. So with that in mind do consider expanding your search to sales positions - but as I said above, choose your employer/industry... and do so thoughtfully thinking of the future.

#4 - there are a ton of online resources for finding a job, monster and career builder are just two. Once you have an industry in mind, then try to identify the top companies you wish to work for and then visit their websites to search for job openings. Even if you don't see one you like, contact the HR or hiring manager in some way to pitch yourself... they may have unadvertised openings

good luck with your job search - I suspect that expanding your search nationally will yield the best results for you of any of the above advice. If you are willing to relocate for just a year or two you will have experience which will enable you to land a job somewhere closer to where you initially wanted to be or where you eventually want to be long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment