Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,785,576 times

Advertisements

Which cities/metro. areas would you predict will provide the best opportunities for employment/quality of life/best bang for your buck over the next, say....20-30 years and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,534,597 times
5 Places With Good Jobs And Cheap Housing - Yahoo! Finance
this is a good list.
Notice which is #1

Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,973,116 times
What about Detroit? Low housing costs. I read they are trying to build sn Aerotropolis there.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 PM

29,936 posts, read 25,056,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What about Detroit? Low housing costs. I read they are trying to build sn Aerotropolis there.
Yea, and close to 50% of Detroiters have no work. It's no wonder you can buy a house for $2000. Anyone unlucky enough to be holding property is looking for any way out of that "investment". Of course, your going to have to have all the wiring redone, since someone stripped it out long ago. Beautiful houses, they can certainly pass the test of time. But the test of a jonesing crackhead... Not so much. If Detroit was such a good investment, there would be armies of people scooping up these so called deals... But there aren't, and the few that do are out pretty quickly after they see how much of an uphill battle it is.

The city is actively looking to basically demolish tons of old development and let nature take over again. Tear it down and start fresh, that's the only option that makes any sense there.

I heard a funny story recently... All that federal money given to Detroit never seems to make it to the programs it's intended to go to... So the federal government appointed some sort of a spending adviser to the city at a cost of many millions... Basically to tell the city how to spend money! I should try to dig up some info on that one. One thing I do know though... Since Detroit has a bad habit of not paying it's bills, most companies doing business directly with the city charge a premium of about 20% on top of the cost of the transaction. So everything the city tries to do will cost 20% more. Sound like a city you want to live in???

Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yea, and close to 50% of Detroiters have no work. It's no wonder you can buy a house for $2000. Anyone unlucky enough to be holding property is looking for any way out of that "investment". Of course, your going to have to have all the wiring redone, since someone stripped it out long ago. Beautiful houses, they can certainly pass the test of time. But the test of a jonesing crackhead... Not so much. If Detroit was such a good investment, there would be armies of people scooping up these so called deals... But there aren't, and the few that do are out pretty quickly after they see how much of an uphill battle it is.

The city is actively looking to basically demolish tons of old development and let nature take over again. Tear it down and start fresh, that's the only option that makes any sense there.

I heard a funny story recently... All that federal money given to Detroit never seems to make it to the programs it's intended to go to... So the federal government appointed some sort of a spending adviser to the city at a cost of many millions... Basically to tell the city how to spend money! I should try to dig up some info on that one. One thing I do know though... Since Detroit has a bad habit of not paying it's bills, most companies doing business directly with the city charge a premium of about 20% on top of the cost of the transaction. So everything the city tries to do will cost 20% more. Sound like a city you want to live in???
Detroit isnt even worth listing on any list except the worst place for a job. Sadly when your city relies on 1 industry to run like the Auto Industry your city is bound to collasp hence why Detroit the once 5th largest city in the USA is now the 17th and the 2nd largest city in the Midwest is now Indianapolis instead of Detroit.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,649,366 times
Hey Pittsburgh made the list. Health care galore here.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,997,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
5 Places With Good Jobs And Cheap Housing - Yahoo! Finance
this is a good list.
Notice which is #1
LOL! You are really an advocate for your city! I need to visit this Fall and see what all the hype is about. It has been a couple of years.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
LOL! You are really an advocate for your city! I need to visit this Fall and see what all the hype is about. It has been a couple of years.
Yep Indy is hosting the Super Bowl God Bless the Great city of Indianapolis :P. Love it here and maybe we can have a Rematch of Super Bowl 41 Colts VS Bears lol send Chicago packing in our city :P

That would be the best game for a Super Bowl in my opinion

Edit: OUCH! http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/29...ance-premiums/

Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,159,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Which cities/metro. areas would you predict will provide the best opportunities for employment/quality of life/best bang for your buck over the next, say....20-30 years and why?
Cheap housing + bang for buck = crappy food + zero diversity

Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 PM

29,936 posts, read 25,056,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Cheap housing + bang for buck = crappy food + zero diversity
What about the person who cooks all their own meals and enjoys predictability? Sounds like this one is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment