Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,015,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yea, but good luck affording a home or anything else. They are paying McDonald's burger flippers $15/hr... I'd be interested to find out how much it costs to BUY a hamburger...
I'd happily flip burgers for $15.00/hr. Shoot, a decent wage and free food can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I'd happily flip burgers for $15.00/hr. Shoot, a decent wage and free food can't be beat.
If you could get one of those jobs. If something sounds too good to be true it is. It is very expensive now to live there, as one poster said apts and hotel rooms are hard to find and they're charging top dollar.

The money is great but not when you're paying $7 for a gallon of milk.

Most of the jobs require people who would be young and in excellent phyiscal condition. If someone fits that description is single, rents, etc....then go for it.

If you're 26 and rent, you can pack your car and go. You can bank what you don't need to live off of.

Not so easy when you're 43, married, with 3 kids and a mortgage. You need to be able to cover your living expenses in ND, cover your expenses back home, and are you physically up to doing the labor.

This really only works on case by case basis.

And you can bet those $15 an hour insided jobs flipping burgers are only going to locals.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 PM

30,038 posts, read 25,158,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you can bet those $15 an hour insided jobs flipping burgers are only going to locals.
Why do you think they are paying $15/hr for burger flippers there??? There are not enough locals available to flip burgers. With regards to Australia and their high wage burger flipping jobs in mining towns... They are flying people from around Australia to flip burgers. I'm sure the Mcy D's in N. Dakota would be happy to hire American's from around the country to flip burgers. But why flip burgers when you can make tons more in the oil fields? A decade or two of that and you retirement would be set.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,015,928 times
Darn, I've got manageable RA (rheumatoid arthritis), am over 50, and ... forget it.
I'll stay at my current job (for now). Beats nothing, and I've trimmed my expenses.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,406,649 times
"Thats alot better than 9.1% national rate!" yeah our state is up to 10.1% as of yesterday. whoohoo... thanks to the corrupt pols who run this state.

yeah if I was single had no family, etc. I would go there for sure!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,499,692 times
North Dakota. The best thing about living there is that you save money, no place to go, nothing to spend it on. If you are not from a cold area, you need to spend money on warm clothing, snow tires, head bolt heater for car, on and on...it is really cold therean true, you make good money working in the fields, ever worked a job where tools snap becasue of being cold? Now, that is cold!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 AM

5,105 posts, read 7,297,588 times
The work is hard, physical, outside and often dangerous. Most of it is also highly skilled. No place for an office dandy.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The work is hard, physical, outside and often dangerous. Most of it is also highly skilled. No place for an office dandy.
Exactly. So in other words it is not going to be an option for many of the unemployed.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 PM

25,918 posts, read 16,651,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Many parts of South Orange County are below 5% unemployment. OC as a whole is around 8.6%, not great, but not worth moving away from.

No thanks. Even if you doubled my salary, I wouldn't move there.
Believe me, the North Dakotans would rather you stay where you are.

North Dakota is a well kept secret that is being invaded.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:07 PM

25,918 posts, read 16,651,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why do you think they are paying $15/hr for burger flippers there??? There are not enough locals available to flip burgers. With regards to Australia and their high wage burger flipping jobs in mining towns... They are flying people from around Australia to flip burgers. I'm sure the Mcy D's in N. Dakota would be happy to hire American's from around the country to flip burgers. But why flip burgers when you can make tons more in the oil fields? A decade or two of that and you retirement would be set.
They could pay $15.00 per hour everywhere and still make money and not raise prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment